NEW TO THE SITE

homer55

Awards
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this site and I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm 50, weigh 165 lb, 5'10" so I'm not a "big guy." My weight really hasn't changed much in the last 20 years. I've been lifting on and off since I was 14. Mostly off, but I've put in about 6 to 8 solid years of lifting. I've been working out consistently for about the last three years, with occasional breaks due to injury.

At my age, exercise is a constant struggle with injury. I consider it a good workout if I can get out of the gym without hurting myself. I have recurring injuries to my shoulders, back, knees and feet. It sucks getting old but I figure you just have to keep fighting. The alternative is to just waste away.

A biographical note, I've always been interested in bodybuilding and weightlifting. I first became interested in weights when I saw a picture of Harold Poole doing the most muscular pose in a muscle magazine in 1967. I was 12. I know it was 1967 because my family had gone to Montreal that summer for Expo '67. Yeah, I'm old as dirt.

The sport has gone from a bunch of guys hammering away in garages and small gyms to a huge industry driven by $$$. Now, it's big business -- the supplement business. I think it is a little sad. I mean, muscle magazines today are chock full of one ridiculous supplement ad after another. But I still love going to the gym and working out.

My two cents worth about steroid and PH use. I don't necessarily have a problem with it and I think our society's approach to these substances is absurd. I'm more of a libertarian than some, I think, and I believe you should let consenting adults do what they want as long as they don't hurt anyone else. But I think there is a lot of stupidity out there. I see people on these internet boards who are doing things that are really dumb. But its a free country. (Less so recently but still...) More thoughts on this later.

OK, so I've displayed my ignorance for all to see. Gotta get to work. Later.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
:welcome:

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
another old guy. nice, welcome. :thumbsup: