Gym membership cost

• Thread starter marshmallow man
  • Start date
marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
I generally workout at work, but we started a new schedule that consists of 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off.

I live 17 miles away from work, so I was thinking about getting myself a gym membership. I would be able to do my workouts and cardio even on my days off.

We have 3 gyms near us:
24 fitness
global fitness
golds gym

I know global has a 110 initial fee then 28 monthly. What are your costs??

Andrew

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Mine is something like that. I believe my initial was about $130-140.
...but my monthly is $20.49. (Gold's)

Taking regions into consideration, the price you're quoting sounds about average. I'd just make sure they'll let you do all the exercises you employ.
(some weenie places despise deadlifts...lol.)

tattoopierced1

I pay $130 per year for 24hr. key access to my gym.

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
Ah, southern Indiana.
I remembered you were from Indiana, started to hope that gym would be in Indianapolis. :D

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
I work at a 24 hour fitness. right now. I would recommend them but you must make sure and get your membership at the right time. Find out when they have a prepay special going on. As long as you are going to be in the area for multiple years it is a good deal. The last one we had was like $949 up front, and that covered your membership for 3 years (949*1.07=1015.43 after tax, 1015.43/36=$28.21 a month) so your first three years were about average gym cost. The kicker though was that after the initial three years is up your membership renewal rate was $20 A YEAR for the rest of your life! And their open 24 hours. Month to month though some of our members pay $36.99 which is very pricey (they do get access to all 24 hour fitness though).

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
The last gym I belonged to was Worlds and I got hooked up with something like $65 down and $22/month. I now workout on post, which is crap, but I make do and it is free.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
We have one gym in town that is worth a shiite and they know it.

I am paying like 45 a month.

Asswipes want an extra 25 a month for a locker rental. The equipment is decent... but the place was definetly put together on the cheap. They want an extra 10 a month to use the friggin pool.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I go to a Gold's. $0 Down, 30$ per month :thumbsup:

They don't care what you do in there. Chalk, DL's, it's all good.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
We gotta hit up Gold's, brother.. ;)

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
My town has been overrun by Bally's...:wtf:
Needless to say, I lift at home now.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Needless to say, I lift at home now.
I've been seriously thinking about doing that for some time now.
After the stuff is bought...everything else is just so appealing.
I kind of want to wait until my next house so I can keep my garage and have a separate building in back.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Never pay the "initial fee" if you can help it. That is such a scam to drain even more of your hard earned money. Most gyms will offer specials where they drop the "initial fee", but you have to sign a contract (which you do even with the initial fee). If you argue it with the gym consultant, they may be inclined to drop it, or at least reduce it. I know they did it for me, plus I got two free years for a dual membership. This is the first month I've had to ever pay, and my membership is $25.00 per month for 24 hour access.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Never pay the "initial fee" if you can help it. That is such a scam to drain even more of your hard earned money. Most gyms will offer specials where they drop the "initial fee", but you have to sign a contract (which you do even with the initial fee). If you argue it with the gym consultant, they may be inclined to drop it, or at least reduce it. I know they did it for me, plus I got two free years for a dual membership. This is the first month I've had to ever pay, and my membership is $25.00 per month for 24 hour access.

IMHO, this will only be a possibility IF tha gym in question has been up and running for several years. Start-up fees are too expensive to do otherwise. This is also meant to establish member commitment, which you might think is BS, but if you are a small private gym owner it is a must as people will try and get out of their contracts left and right... sure you can take them to a JP but for what? You'll spend more money/time doing so than getting what you would have gotten in tha first place.

knox

Awards
  • Established
I pay something like $90 every 5 1/2 months. Student discounts are nice.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
IMHO, this will only be a possibility IF tha gym in question has been up and running for several years. Start-up fees are too expensive to do otherwise. This is also meant to establish member commitment, which you might think is BS, but if you are a small private gym owner it is a must as people will try and get out of their contracts left and right... sure you can take them to a JP but for what? You'll spend more money/time doing so than getting what you would have gotten in tha first place.
I don't understand why a start-up fee would be too expensive for a gym not offer? Membership commitment is established by contracts. Of course, some will try to get out of them, but they knew going in what to expect. That's why there are pentalties outlined in them. A person who signs a one or two year contract, like you do with most cell phone services, establishes their commitment. Especially after giving their credit card number to be charged each month. IMHO, small gym owners should never require a contract. That is what entices people to those gyms, rather than the meat-market, mall atmosphere ones. Some even require a first and last months monthly payment, like when you rent an apartment. That way if one skips out, the money is there for the owner.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand why a start-up fee would be too expensive for a gym not offer? Membership commitment is established by contracts. Of course, some will try to get out of them, but they knew going in what to expect. That's why there are pentalties outlined in them. A person who signs a one or two year contract, like you do with most cell phone services, establishes their commitment. Especially after giving their credit card number to be charged each month. IMHO, small gym owners should never require a contract. That is what entices people to those gyms, rather than the meat-market, mall atmosphere ones. Some even require a first and last months monthly payment, like when you rent an apartment. That way if one skips out, the money is there for the owner.
Then think of it as first and last months rent, either way we charge 50 bucks a person and generally for 95% of people it's one time only.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Then think of it as first and last months rent, either way we charge 50 bucks a person and generally for 95% of people it's one time only.
I can see it that way. If they bolt, then you keep their deposit, or whatever it's called. But, if they fullfill their contract then leave, they should get it back. Either way, it's a business, and I'm not faulting anyone for trying to make money. That's why people go into business.;)

CyberMuscle

CyberMuscle

Awards
I go to Golds also. I paid zero down but most pay a start up fee. I dont knwo the rate though. I pay $39.99 a month and have access to everything the gym offers.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I guess I got lucky. The company I work for set up a program through World Gym where there is no start up fee, and the company takes $2.10 out of my paycheck each week. I've been doing this for about 16 months now. I spend $6 a day on a protein shake. They make more money off me on those than my membership! (the company is paying them so much per member also, but I don't know how much) The guy I work out with told me his renewal just came up this month, and it's $330 for the year.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Up here in Alaska we get ripped off bad. The gym membership here is $80 a month. I believe it's also a $600 sign up fee. It has a pool, and sauna, but still. I've seen gyms in Montana and California that has all the same things for like $30 a month.

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
I have a World Gym membership {any USA World Gym}....$240.00 a year/$20.00 a month.

I also have a Bally membership. I stop attending Bally's for four years because of the quality of their gym. They sent me a "Please come back letter" and they gave me a price of $89.00 a year. {any USA Bally's gym}

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ultimate Fitness

was paying 47$ but now they have a new idea to compete with some other clubs.

$100 down, either 15.95 a month or 20.84/monthly with tanning.

anything else is ala cart.

if you are currently in a contract, you are STUCK...until it runs out.

shct

w00kie

Awards
I pay $100 yr for 24hr access. Gym is pretty big. They have all the things I would ever need. No signup fees either.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
Damn....you guys have it good. Here in Chicago I pay $45 a month for World Gym, and thats after being a member for two years! I think my signup fee was $150 or something. And that's a good deal here, believe it or not.

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to tell you dude....

My sign-up fee for world gym was $100.00 and I pay $20.00 a month for the rest of my life.

Yes, I'm from Chicago and I signed up at the downtown location.

It all depends on your poker face. [It also help if the sales person is a female and you can sweet talk her for over a hour.] ;)

They are in the business of selling a contract to you. So, go in there like you going to buy a car or home. The numbers they place on that contract is not written in stone.

Damn....you guys have it good. Here in Chicago I pay $45 a month for World Gym, and thats after being a member for two years! I think my signup fee was $150 or something. And that's a good deal here, believe it or not.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I have a membership at Reaction Fitness. Used to be Golds a couple years ago, but now Reaction. Being a student it's $31 a month, if not its 41 a month. I know most of the staff up there(played ball with'em in high school or whatnot) and moved couple of benchs around to get a year free. Not a bad deal.

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
I just called Golds gym, a $5 enrollment and 30 a month. Good deal??

Andrew

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I just called Golds gym, a $5 enrollment and 30 a month. Good deal??

Andrew
Sounds like a good deal to me. I've got a few friends that belonged to Golds, and they didn't get away that cheap. Alot of the Golds were sold to World Gym, whose prices differ substantially from each location. The things you need to consider is are; Do they offer everything you are looking for, are their hours of operation within your schedule, is the location convienient for you. Some places have key card access that you can go whenever you want.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
$30 a mo to Golds 24hr
$0 a mo to Planet Fitness 24hr

tiggermoon

tiggermoon

Awards
just found a place that could be acceptable.
$20 a month, no contracts, no setup fees, a real old-school atmosphere.(the owner even said 'come in and workout a few times for free just to see if you want to train here').
fellow just opened this place and i think i will encourage his venture by starting to train there.