Anyone a certified personal trainer?

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
I'm looking to get my certification this Spring, and just wondering about the process. Price, classes, ect. Any info would be great especially from personal expeirences.
I need a real job for this summer and what would be better than to be in the gym and get paid for it! :woohoo:

S

Schwaugher

Awards
I've read the ISSA book, but decided that i will wait until next year to take the test. I hear they are also very helpful even after you get your certication.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
No offense to you or any certified trainers on this forum, but many of them are useless with very little knowledge.

S

Schwaugher

Awards
None taken. I know many certified trainers have limited knowledge (including myself). I just did it to be able to design my own, more effecient programs without having to resort to Bobo every eight weeks. I wouldn't actually train anyone unless i had a degree in sports science or nutrition to go along with the certification.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No offense to you or any certified trainers on this forum, but many of them are useless with very little knowledge.
Oh I agree with that wholeheartedly, and many of them worked with me at Bally's.. :D

This reminds me, gotta finish my re-test.. :ntome:

G

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
True, but good luck getting a training job without any type of certification or college degree. Of course the college degree is better, but in my case I got my certification from the Cooper Institute so I can put myself through college easily with a training job...

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
yes, that is true, but i wanna be one that knows his sh1t! :afro:

R

RipdnTxs2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am certified by NASM, but there is alot of difference between personal training and training a bodybuilder, but is is a great job to help with school due to making your on hours, good luck...

G

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I have my certification through the NSCA. The test w/ materials was around $450, but it is one the more highly regarded certs.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, NSCA is a good one, you really gotta know your **** to get that one. . I plan to go for that and the CSCS maybe next summer, need study time.. ;)

G

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, NSCA is a good one, you really gotta know your **** to get that one. . I plan to go for that and the CSCS maybe next summer, need study time.. ;)
Yeah I spent a good 6 weeks studying for the test and I don't think I have ever been more nervous. Luckily I passed and I found out later that obly about 54% of people pass the test.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
true. majority of the trainers really know the basics. one has to get into the sports medicine, exercise science part of working out, recovery, body's physiology to say that they really know their stuff. I for one, know my ****. (hehe)
I recommend you take the NASM certification. No club will turn you down unless they just dont like you. :rasp:
Sage

G

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I hear NASM is widely accepted, and the next on the list for me to get. But since I live here in Dallas I decided to get my Cooper cert first.

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
NASM is the best so i hear, but i have a good friend who has 4 years of college in physical science and said the test was very difficult... I know my stuff, but I dont think I can handle that hard of a test

B

Brennon

Awards
Honestly, NASM is a breeze -- I think most of it is bullshit really. I don't like their OPT model in the least, but it does provide you with a decent knowledge on BASIC anatomy and postural deviations.

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
i think im gonna go with ACE. the website is a bit confusingly directed.

www.Acefitness.org

correct me if im wrong, but i think i have the right idea here... so there is a test scheduled for Feb 11th in Boston (nearest me) so, I order all the pre-test material and books and study my ass off, then take the test on that day in Boston...?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i think im gonna go with ACE. the website is a bit confusingly directed.

www.Acefitness.org

correct me if im wrong, but i think i have the right idea here... so there is a test scheduled for Feb 11th in Boston (nearest me) so, I order all the pre-test material and books and study my ass off, then take the test on that day in Boston...?
Yes, that's the way I did it.. You might take the exam either at MIT in Cambridge, or at the Sheraton Hotel.. I'm in Somerville at the moment.. ;)

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
Yes, that's the way I did it.. You might take the exam either at MIT in Cambridge, or at the Sheraton Hotel.. I'm in Somerville at the moment.. ;)
my sister lives in Somerville.

are you from Mass?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
World Gym, I got passes.. ;)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
do you know anyone ACE certified? or at least how hard the test is?
I am, test is easy.. It's a good test to start off with, to me it seems like the basics of being a trainer, and how you handle your business.. If I had the book still, you can have it.. I'll check to see if I packed it..

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
I am, test is easy.. It's a good test to start off with, to me it seems like the basics of being a trainer, and how you handle your business.. If I had the book still, you can have it.. I'll check to see if I packed it..
thanks alot man, i got a buddy of mine who is NASM certified, and hopefully he can round up his old books, i need all the help i can get! i got till Feb 11th to stuff my brain full of this info:study:!

hopefully i'll pass, and hopefully a gym will hire a 20 year old to be a PT!!

G

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
thanks alot man, i got a buddy of mine who is NASM certified, and hopefully he can round up his old books, i need all the help i can get! i got till Feb 11th to stuff my brain full of this info:study:!

hopefully i'll pass, and hopefully a gym will hire a 20 year old to be a PT!!
You should be alright...I got hired when I was 19.:woohoo: