martial arts

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.24%

martial arts

i have taken hapkido and tae kwon do and i wanna try something different exiting. any of you guys take anithing interesting maRTIAL ATS?let me know

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.59%

Bujinkan. Headed by Soke Hatsumi, it combines 9 ryu including 6 Samurai schools and 3 ninpo schools. Eclectic, with a rich tradition, yet very pragmatic.

Pa Kua Chang - One of China's 3 internal martial arts (the other two being Tai Chi Ch'uan and Hsing-I Ch'uan). Stunningly effective evasion, with powerful palm strikes for offense. Takes a while to learn.

Capeoira - Brazilian martial art. You've probably heard of it before, looks like breakdancing, practiced to rhythmic music. http://www.spiritonin.com/capoeirafighter/ is a free, flash game of it.

Pentjak Silat - An umbrella term for Indonesian martial arts that actually covers almost as many separate styles as Kung Fu. Some of them teach the use of flexible weapons--traditionally a sarong, but more modern equivalents like your shirt would work. Make nearly anything a weapon.

Those are a few of my favorites. Plenty more that I like, of course.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

Greco-Roman Wrestling and Freestyle...and Judo

Combonation of grappling body control and brute stength.....not a person can stand there ground with me during a freestyle match.
    •   

4. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

whatever hoyce gracey (sp?) knows.........thats cool stuff
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.59%

royce gracie is a brazilian jiu jitsu guy... bjj is good but you should take muay thai or american kickboxing along with it. and like dez said wrestling is awesome it is a perfect base to go with any martial art. i just wish there was somewhere near me that i could get into wrestling. the things i have recommended are the ones that i think are most useful to make a fighter .... but if you are lookin just for sumthin with all the stoopid traditional crap that will get u beat up by carrot top you can specify that and someone will probably be able to point ya towards kung fu or sumthin
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.24%

Originally posted by khafra
    Bujinkan. Headed by Soke Hatsumi, it combines 9 ryu including 6 Samurai schools and 3 ninpo schools. Eclectic, with a rich tradition, yet very pragmatic.

Pa Kua Chang - One of China's 3 internal martial arts (the other two being Tai Chi Ch'uan and Hsing-I Ch'uan). Stunningly effective evasion, with powerful palm strikes for offense. Takes a while to learn.

Capeoira - Brazilian martial art. You've probably heard of it before, looks like breakdancing, practiced to rhythmic music. http://www.spiritonin.com/capoeirafighter/ is a free, flash game of it.

Pentjak Silat - An umbrella term for Indonesian martial arts that actually covers almost as many separate styles as Kung Fu. Some of them teach the use of flexible weapons--traditionally a sarong, but more modern equivalents like your shirt would work. Make nearly anything a weapon.

Those are a few of my favorites. Plenty more that I like, of course.
    how can i find out where to take this near me?im in orlando florida
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

Fear my tiny miget stance!!! HIYAH!!!
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

or Drunken Boxing....hahaha...
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.59%

lol
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.59%

www.bujinkan.org has a school finder. Couldn't really tell you for the others, but www.martialartsplanet.com is a good resource in general, someone on the forums there might be able to tell you.

Heh. I'd only do Drunken Boxing 'cause it looks cool, not for serious self defense--but you guys are right, Muay Thai and BJJ makes a formidable combination. Krav Maga and Systema are a couple more good ones for sheer, brutal effectiveness. And let's not discount plain ol' western boxing. Good hand skills and reaction time improvement, and doesn't take as long to learn the basics of as some others. Just don't start using Marquis of Queensbury rules in a street fight...
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.25%

Pa Kua, Chin Na, Jeet Kune Do, and pretty much anything Chinese is the best IMO.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.59%

Oh, yeah, JKD! And Chin Na. Thanks, WW, I'd forgotten Chinese grappling. San shou, a kind of shootfighting based on Kung Fu, is also a good mix of striking and grappling. Since I've got another Chinese internal fan here, I'll go ahead and recommend Xingyi; it's often taught in conjunction with Bagua but focuses on quick, linear, incredibly powerful strikes (Guo-Yun Shen, a famous practitioner, once knocked someone 20 feet away and broken 7 ribs with his Beng Quan.)
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.56%

I took about 3 and a half years of Wing Tsun while in college. It was a lot of fun, though my sifu beat the hell out on a few times.
  14. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.73%

i took tang soo do for 5 years, till i got my black belt. I dont know if it was the school or the style but itw as alot of kata. I was like 9 when i started, and didnt really go there to learn kata. I didnt really like it and i didnt really learn to defend myself. Thats why i stopped. I want to get into brazilian ju jitsu but its expensive around here and i dont have the money right now.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.24%

yeah i wanna get into a martial art with not alot of kata
  16. The Axe Man Cometh!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.62%

Originally posted by madmuscle
    yeah i wanna get into a martial art with not alot of kata
    definitely you want a grappling art then

Took Ju Jitsu for about three years and also Kongo Do kickboxing. This Tai Kwon Do school came by one time because they wanted to practice fighting another art, we obliged, they left after about ten minutes of being on the mat and they never came back.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.24%

Pentjak Silat Serak, Kuntao and Systema. The websites are www.serak.com, www.russianmartialarts.com. Done both before and recommend them highly. Kuntao is harder to find. The Chinese/Indos kept it close to the vest. But if none of these work then a good BJJ guy can hook you up. Oh a word about Systema, it's not based on muscles at all so being "muscle-bound" is a burden.
  18. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I agree that Muay Thai Kickboxing and BJJ are the perfect combination. If you have time to get more in there, I have to recommend JKD.. If you're not very big and strong, Wing Chun is excellent.. Pencak Silot is rough on your legs.. I did that for a short time.. You're crouched so much. It's brutal though..
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.5%

I took kenpo for a few years...Once the knee heals I am going back as well time to get the Blue belt
  20. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Kenpo is one of the best Karate's.. I took Tae Kwon Do and wasn't very impressed. It did give me great kicks but it wasn't very practical for street situations..
  21. RMT
    Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.24%

Quote Originally Posted by madmuscle
    i have taken hapkido and tae kwon do and i wanna try something different exiting. any of you guys take anithing interesting maRTIAL ATS?let me know

Need to know why you want to change and what are your goals in finding a new style. If you're looking to compete (if you are, what in? Breaking, forms/kata, weapons, sparring, full contact) you're going to be looking for totally different objectives than you are if you're looking for something more self-defense oriented.

Seeing that you've trained in Hapkido and TKD and are looking for something different, if you're going to go the traditional route again you might want to look at a non-Korean based style.

If you're looking for self-defense oriented training I'd look for schools that have padded FIST suits to train full speed realistic attacks that simulate the stress of being confronted by one or more aggressors and don't dwell too much on whether or not the knee is bent in the proper 90 degree angle and toes pointed at the 11:00 position, but works on getting out of the hairy situation as quick as possible.

RMT
  22. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.51%

I love mantis style kung-fu. Nice strikes using dim-mak techniques(acup. point strikes in certain sequences) and great joint locks/chin-na. Very little kicking, it is used mainly as distraction or bait to get the oppenent in close. Attacks are non-linear, i.e. off the center-line which really throws karate guys off.

Lots of weapons also, but that goes for any type of Chinese tech.-broad sword, tai chi sword, horse cutter, staff, spear, guan dow, 7 star hammers, tiger claws, ect.

Any Chinese style is alot of fun due to the praticality and various toys.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best martial art?
    By CREAO in forum MMA
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 12:04 PM
  2. I need tips on teching karate/martial arts
    By Iron Warrior in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 03:39 PM
  3. ? for IA - Martial Arts + Weights
    By MrBean in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6