I need tips on teching karate/martial arts

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

I need tips on teching karate/martial arts

If anyone of you have tips or good links I can check out it would be helpful to me. I teach Physical Education at the High School level and I am teaching self defense for the first time so any help is welcome. Thank you in advance.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Just pop in a Van Damme movie for them to watch. I prefer Bloodsport or Lionheart.
  3. Registered User
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  122 lbs.

Visit a karate place, its cool to watch and you might get the sifu( teacher) to come demonstrate
    RIP Ryan, :(
  5. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by toughchick401
    Visit a karate place, its cool to watch and you might get the sifu( teacher) to come demonstrate
    Sifu if it a Chinese style art. Most Karate dojo's are Korean or Japanese.
    Sensei for Japanese and Sabumnim for Korean.

I know I am just being anal.
  6. Registered User

Look for an instructional Krav Maga or Boxing site as illustration, but one can't learn muscle memory from mental understanding alone. There's no substitute for real hitting and grappling, which is probably difficult to do in a government schoool setting.

The most important thing I would impress upon someone is the need to shut up and attack before the other guy does, and you can't really teach someone to sense that moment when one must attack before your opponent does or you will likely lose.

I've taught people the basics of self-defense that I learned on the street as a cop and US Marshal. My method was to first teach them to be assertive without being provacetively aggressive, to assess people based on bodytype, for example, get to the inside with a taller and/or weaker opponent, etc.

Then to teach them to to go onguard, which is to balance their stance across both legs, conciously control your breathing, rotate your torso to protect your centerline (the frontal targets along an imaginary line from groin to eyes), get your hands up to throat height in a tented ready position and then practice the mechanics of jab,cross, hook, uppercut and grabbing in combination along with an understanding of where to hit, the vunerable points of the body.

Then they practice, over and over again. After a while, one learns to use one's hips to hit along with just the arms/shoulders you start with, but one really needs a striking surface like a heavy bag, punching air repeadtley promotes bad mechanics.

As far as a heavy bag goes, I don't believe in using gloves, one will not have them in the field and you become reliant on the feel of them, better to just ace bandage wrap the wrists for injury protection against badly angle strikes, and hit, and hit again and again.

It's also good to get a hand exerciser, a strong squeeze ball is best, to harden your hand muscles and ligaments to toughen your strikepoints , prevent injury and improve your ability to grab, very important to be able to lock onto someone and control their ovement.

The absolutely wrong thing to do is the traditional martial arts school method of play fighting and not hitting, stopping a few inches from contact, that teaches the muscle memory of non contact and no follow through, that is so wrong.

If anyone is familar with the early UFC's, you can see the results of this when a superduper blackbelt, for example Fred Ettish, fought someone with real experience, not pretty.

The most effective self defense methods are the most vicious and the ones you can't probably instruct in that setting, things like poking the eyes,striking just above the collarbone to hit the windpipe, the hard object you pickup to hit them repeatedly in the nose and mouth, smashing their head into the wall behind them, etc.

One tactic everyone should know is the straight jab to the nose, it's an effective lead that's almost always avaliable to stun and pain an opponent intially.

I don't what else to say other than there is no substitute for real banging, and anyone can be taught how to hit, taking blows is another story and you have to have a partner to practice hip throws, wrestling and joint locks.

A clarification - Muscle Memory is the permanent integration of movements into the neuromuscular system where movement become fluid and automatic, not requiring full concious direction. Like riding a bike, you always remeber how because it's in muscle memory. It takes ~2000 repetitions of a motion to get there, so they say. You fight like you train.

Yes, I realize that this is not so much directed towards Kids and defense but rather adults and a good offense.
  7. Registered User

Do you have any training in karate/martial arts? I read that you teach Physical Education but that's way different than teaching martial arts.I have been taking martial art classes on and off for over nine years.

You might can go to your public library and checkout a video for "the basic of martial arts".

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    If anyone of you have tips or good links I can check out it would be helpful to me. I teach Physical Education at the High School level and I am teaching self defense for the first time so any help is welcome. Thank you in advance.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by QUICKRYDE
    Do you have any training in karate/martial arts? I read that you teach Physical Education but that's way different than teaching martial arts.I have been taking martial art classes on and off for over nine years.

You might can go to your public library and checkout a video for "the basic of martial arts".
    I took regular karate as one of my required activity courses in college but the instructor was gone half the time and the class was once a week so I didn't retain much and we did more contact than I am willing to allow because I am not going to risk a lawsuit.

BTW, thanks for all the responses guys
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by toughchick401
    I will work on that, it would give a day off from lesson planning too
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    Yes, I realize that this is not so much directed towards Kids and defense but rather adults and a good offense.
    **** I wish the class could incorporate a little more contact and I personally like making units as challenging as you outlined this for me but my ****ing principal is a 320 pound tub of lard who already warned me once for "working the children too hard" especially during the football unit
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  122 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Sifu if it a Chinese style art. Most Karate dojo's are Korean or Japanese.
    Sensei for Japanese and Sabumnim for Korean.

I know I am just being anal.
    I did sifu because i could not spell sensei...LOL And we all know how this board can be with people jumping all over you for stupid things...LOL you caught me....I can't spell that well
    RIP Ryan, :(
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need info on Anabolic Tech. Tren Six
    By irvin in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 09:44 PM
  3. Need Tips on Getting ripped up
    By LetsLift59 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 11:38 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM
  5. need some tips on how to lose the belly fat...
    By cobain67 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 10:47 AM