Pet Semetary
The Exorcist
The evil dead
Night of the living dead

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Ah! A post that touches on one of my other favorite subjects...

Exorcist

Tombs of the Blind Dead (blind Templars come back to terrorize scantily clad Spanish women. There are actually four in the series)

John Carpenter's The Thing

The Haunting (the original, not the piece of **** remake)

Lifeforce (space vampires run amock in London)

The Last Man on Earth (based on the classic book, I Am Legend)

The Changeling

Hellraiser

Night of the Living Dead

The Silence of the Lambs

The Mummy (the original)

Freaks

The Wicker Man

The Brood

The Prophecy (not the Christopher Walken one, althought that was a lot of fun)

The Shining

The Hitcher

The Fly (Cronenberg version, awesome atmosphere, especially in the last scene)

The Seven Doors of Death

Session 9

Videodrome

Dark Water (a nice one, creepy all throughout but the end is a bit of a let down)

Evil Dead Trap

The Grudge (good remake, the original is better but the American version is easier to engage with)

God, there are so many I'm probably forgetting that gave me a nice chill. Suspiria and anything else by Argento is great. Zombie 2 of course. The Italians owned horror for a while, now the balls is in the Japanese court. Lots of freaky imagery coming from Japan, interesting and unfamiliar myths. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Anyone interested in horror movies should pick up a copy of Rue Morgue and Cemetery Dance, two magazines with great horror book and movie reviews and recommendations.

BACKMAN

Awards
I thought that SAW was a great movie and im about to see SAW II tonight. i'll let you know how it is

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Audition
Suspiria is one the most visually stunning ever
Tomei: Replay
Ringu
The Vanishing
Rosemary's Baby
ReAnimator

Anything by Fulci or Argento makes the list:thumbsup:

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree with many that have already been posted. I also like:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Last House on the Left
Scream

I'm sure more will come to mind...

dd

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
the shining (the two little girls that say 'come play with us danny' freaked me out)
the ring (that goth chick and that trippy ass walk she does freaked me out)
texas chainsaw massacre (no explanation needed)
nightmare on elm street I
the exorcist

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stephen King's "IT"
Clown House
Ghoulies ( The toilet monster freaked me out for a long time.)
Darkness Falls
Friday the 13th III

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
I'm a sucker for Jap horror..

The Ring (Enjoyed the US version also)

Ju-on-The Grudge (Enjoyed the US remake as well, was quite different from original)

Ju-Rei (similar to Ju-on-The Grudge, but quite different storyline)

The Eye (Chinese)

Dark Water (like CDB said, ending was a let-down)

Here's a great site for you Asian horror fans - has reviews (and spoilers) of pretty much all of the popular Asian horror films:

http://www.mandiapple.com/snowblood/index2.htm

NUPE69

Awards
The Fly {when all of his body parts start to fall off, it gave me the hives}

All Vampire movies {updated}

Pitch Black

The ring {That girl coming out of the tv gave the new meaning of fear}

Omen {You just don't mess with the devil}

HellRaiser

How about Thriller {just a joke}

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Jaws? Scared the piss outta me at the theater when I was an impressionable 13.

A good list so far, another would be the unedited version of "Cannibal Holocaust", some sick animal sacrifice scenes.

What's the name of the jap flick where the young women goes on a date and is spurrned by the guy, then captures him for torture, along with another torture slave she has back at home. That's one weird sick flick, it's rare and I can't remember the name.

I thought "Event Horizon" the unedited Euro version is much harder than the American release was not great, but pretty creepy and quite a concept if and when we ever develop a stardrive, NASA beware.

One that's definetly NOT making my list is the current "Doom", it's slow, badly acted and boring, pass on that one.

One thing that's always wrong in horror flicks is the perpetual state of flight the victims stay in, wrong. Humans are vicious predators, it dose'nt take long for flight to turn to fight, fear fairly quickly turns to homicidal fury in most people.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
A good list so far, another would be the unedited version of "Cannibal Holocaust", some sick animal sacrifice scenes.
Yup. I knew I forgot some good ones. The animal killings in that film are real, not the human ones. There are some nice ritual murders, cannibalism and impalings though. The uncut DVD has a prominent position in my DVD collection.

Eraserhead is another I forgot. Great imagery.

{QUOTE]I thought "Event Horizon" the unedited Euro version is much harder than the American release was not great, but pretty creepy and quite a concept if and when we ever develop a stardrive, NASA beware.[/QUOTE]

Was a littlle too much like a 2001 Hellraiser mix for me.

One thing that's always wrong in horror flicks is the perpetual state of flight the victims stay in, wrong. Humans are vicious predators, it dose'nt take long for flight to turn to fight, fear fairly quickly turns to homicidal fury in most people.
The perpetual victim always pisses me off too.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
awsome movie, not many people my age like it though
Not many people liked it when it first hit the theaters. Most people your age like horror movies inthe vein of Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, or more formulaic stuff like Darkness Falls. Few people get into the Lovecraftian side of things. the everybody's fucked kind of horror movie that doesn't need a sexy chick with big tits.

Now, I love big tits in horror movies, but that's a different type of horror movie.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Halloween is the best horror IMO by far. It set the standard for films after it.

Unfortunately they started taking the piss after Halloween II...

Anyone seen Cannibal Halocaust?

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Halloween! I snuck into the Atco drive-in to see it way back when I was 16...
Then had to walk... umm I mean run home through the woods BY MY SELF!!!! Great movie:woohoo:

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure I can call all of these horror movies:
Alien,
Aliens,
American Werewolf in London,
Army of Darkness,
Bordello of Blood,
Demon Night,
From Dusk til Dawn,
The Fly,
The Hidden,
The Hitcher,
Near Dark,
Reanimator,
The Thing (John Carpenter),
and maybe Scanners, but I haven't seen it in a while.

-Tinytoad

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Dead Alive was great if you like the goofy gory type of horror film.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Halloween is the best horror IMO by far. It set the standard for films after it.

Unfortunately they started taking the piss after Halloween II...

Anyone seen Cannibal Halocaust?
Yup. Seventies gore, the animal murders are kind of hard to tolerate because you know they're real. The human murders and tortures are done well. It's documentaryesque style, has a feeling of realism to a lot of it that people often try for but rarely achieve. Look at it as the progenitor of the Blair Witch style horror movie.

THE GREATEST

I'm Hungry
Awards
"House of 1000 Corpses" and definitly "Hellraiser"

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm, I have to check that movie out. I wonder do Blockbuster have that movie in stock.

Yup. I knew I forgot some good ones. The animal killings in that film are real, not the human ones. There are some nice ritual murders, cannibalism and impalings though. The uncut DVD has a prominent position in my DVD collection.

Eraserhead is another I forgot. Great imagery.

{QUOTE]I thought "Event Horizon" the unedited Euro version is much harder than the American release was not great, but pretty creepy and quite a concept if and when we ever develop a stardrive, NASA beware.
Was a littlle too much like a 2001 Hellraiser mix for me.

The perpetual victim always pisses me off too.[/quote]

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
Darkness Falls. Holy **** that was a scary one.

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
I'm adding another horror flick...

I have to add DELIVERANCE to the list because every man find that movie scary. When that hillbilly told Ned Beatty to crawl in the mud, squeal like a pig and then he rape him in front of his friends...A lot of guys stop going camping after that movie.

We all know that banjo tune. {That sound mean get the "F" out of the woods...quickly.} :run:

Pushofabutton

Awards
Friday the 13th part 3
House of 1000' corpses
Evil Dead
night of the living dead
halloween 1

I love friday the 13th part 3. It holds alot of "special" memorys.

Khyron

Awards
The Return Of The Living Dead is the best horror and zombie movie ever. The scarest movie I've ever seen in my life. And by the way, walking zombie aren't that scary.

BACKMAN

Awards
I saw SAW II, it was awesome, i think it was the best horror movie i have ever seen, i highly reccomend it

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Not a lot of people liked it, but I think Cabin Fever was a really good one. The concept of the protagonist turning into the antagonist was really refreshing.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments

100. 28 Days Later...
99. Creepshow
98. Zombie
97. Cat People
96. The Birds
95. Jurassic Park
94. Pacific Heights
93. Child's Play
92. Village of the Damned
91. Shallow Grave
90. The Night of the Hunter
89. Alice, Sweet Alice
88. The Invasion of the Body Snatchers
87. Black Christmas
86. The Wizard of Oz
85. Blood and Black
84. Blue Velvet
83. The Others
82. The Terminator
81. The Howling
80. Poltergeist
79. Dracula
78. The Brood
77. Signs
76. The Evil Dead
75. Candyman
74. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
73. Blood Simple
72. THEM!
71. The Sixth Sense
70. The Stepfather
69. Re-Animator
68. The Black Cat
67. Duel
66. Marathon Man
65. The Tenant
64. Near Dark
63. Deliverance
62. The Wolf Man
61. The Devil's Beyond
60. The Beyond
59. Fatal Attraction
58. Cujo
57. House of Wax
56. Single White Female
55. The Vanishing
54. The Changling
53. Demons
52. The Phantom of the Opera
51. The Dead Zone
50. The Last House on the Left
49. Les Diabolique
48. The Thing
47. Nosferatu
46. The Sentinel
45. The Wicker Man
44. The Game
43. It's Alive!
42. An American Werewolf in London
41. The Hills Have Eyes
40. Black Sunday
39. Dawn of the Dead
38. Peeping Tom
37. The House on Haunted Hill
36. Cape Fear
35. Aliens
34. The Hitcher
33. The Fly
32. Pet Sematary
31. Friday the 13th
30. The Blair Witch Project
29. The Serpent and the Rainbow
28. When a Stranger Calls
27. Frankenstein
26. Se7en
25. Phantasm
24. Suspiria
23. Rosemary's Baby
22. Don't Look Now
21. Jacob's Ladder
20. The Ring
19. Hellraiser
18. The Haunting
17. A Nightmare on Elm Street
16. The Omen
15. Freaks
14. Halloween
13. Scream
12. Misery
11. Audition
10. Wait Until Dark
9. Night of the Living Dead
8. Carrie
7. The Silence of the Lambs
6. The Shining
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
4. Psycho
3. The Exorcist
2. Alien
1. Jaws

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm, I have to check that movie out. I wonder do Blockbuster have that movie in stock.
Not a chance. Or, if they do, it's severely cut. Revok online has a great bunch of titles not available here in the US Cannibal Holocaust is one of them. That's where I got my copy.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
The uncut version pops up on P2P every few months, virtually everything on this list does. I can't remember the last time I bought a movie or big pay for view event.

My wife hates watching movies with me cause I'm always giving tactical critiques, the concept of 'ambush" is frequently suggested and damn if they ever listen to me :aargh:

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
If I were to base it on longlasting impact it would have to be "Jaws" for me. I saw it in the theater when it first came out in the 70's and I still get a little squirrely in the ocean.
The Omen is another of my favorites

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
If I were to base it on longlasting impact it would have to be "Jaws" for me. I saw it in the theater when it first came out in the 70's and I still get a little squirrely in the ocean.
That makes you, me and a few million other people who to this day are still a little afraid of the Ocean. That was one scary flick when seen in the theater by us then youngins.

wheystation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Geez - I am really old........I thought that Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte was about the scariest thing ever and I am betting that you guys won't know it.

I also remembering seeing What ever happened to Baby Jane? and being freaked, too.

I can no longer watch them, I just get too freaked. I remember seeing The Shining when I was about 21 and I was afraid for days - I kept picturing the blood flowing down the hallways of the hotel like a huge tide.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I saw about ten minutes of "Hostel" last night, damn.

That is one hardcore horror/torture flick, not for the squeamish.

People that thought "Passion of the Christ" was too brutal should avoid this one.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

People that thought "Passion of the Christ" was too brutal should avoid this one.
Unfortunately, the movie was very mundane...but it did have a lot of hot, naked Euro chicas.:woohoo:

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I've only seen a small portion of it, the violence was anything but mundane, what, specifically, makes it a mundane movie in your opinion?

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established

I was in Barnes and noble and they had some clips from the movie on the cover of fangora. It looks pretty nasty.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've only seen a small portion of it, the violence was anything but mundane, what, specifically, makes it a mundane movie in your opinion?
There was very little, if any, character and plot development. The movie literally goes from a scene were they are partying at a disco and then the torture scenes start. Also, the protagonist is a very static character and the movie never really develops that inner desire for him to live. It was entertaining but the actual film was not worth the time and money.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it's a 6 rated movie on imdb. com , which means half think as you do and the other half thinks there is more to it.

Horror movies aren't really my thing anyway, I'll probably watch "Syriana" instead.

Thanks for the response.

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
Wolf Creek was the biggest waste of 2 hours of my life that ill never get back. huge waste, dont see it.

Hostel, in my opinion was a good action movie, but wasnt really that scary at all. It was waaayyy fucked up.... but just not that scary. When I was in an empty dark house the night after watching it, I didnt feel the urge to sleep with my 12 guage like i usually do after a really good scare at the movies.