Anyone into car audio?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Anybody have a nice system in their vehicle? Ive always had a decent stereo in my car, but with my latest vehicle - a 1995 Honda Accord EX - I'm really trying to build a really pristine listening environment.

I started with the headunit, an Alpine CDA-9833. I have to tell you guys, anyone looking for a nice deck for their car you HAVE to check this unit out. Its the second from the top Alpine model for 2004 - the only difference from the creme-de-la-creme 9835 is the display, all other features are identical.

Thing is, the CDA9835 still goes for $350-$450 used on Ebay. I snagged for my 9833 for $225 shipped. Phenomenal sound - even makes my factory Honda speakers sound halfway decent.

I think the biggest attribute for this player is the Time Correction feature, which allows you to specify a delay (in milliseconds) for each speaker in the car. This tricks your brain into percieving that each speaker is equidistant from your ears. The effect is amazing - literally sounds like Im driving down the road in sweet spot of my living room!

Add to that the ability to customize your display with over 500 colors, full MP3/WMA support, 5 band parametric EQ, 3 way active crossover, MX w/bassengine (alpine's DSP system - which is really sweet), 4 way tilt, and a powerful and clean internal amp...this unit is freakin amazing, I love it!!

Figured Id give anyone interested a heads up...the Alpine 9833 has got to be the best deal going for a high end deck on the cheap!!

BV

jdubz

Awards
I've got a Kenwood excelon deck along with a Clarion 4 channel amp that goes to 4 Infinity 6 x 9 's.
Here is a link to some older pictures:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/415976/4

That was back when I was competing..hence the other 1000 watt Clarion Amp and the 2 vented boxes containing a 12" Kicker sub in each.

I currently don't have the subs or the big Clarion amp in my car because I am going to sell them. However, since that picture I have installed a 200 Amp Stinger relay and a orbital battery in the trunk.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Nice system bro!! Does that Excelon deck have the time correction feature? I have a buddy with a high-send Kenwood and it has it. I could never do without it now:)

In the near future, Ill have 2 Altec Lansing ALS693 6x9's in there rear, one Image Dynamics 12" Sub in the trunk with ~500W of ClassA power (most likely a used Zapco Z600C2).

Not sure on the fronts yet. Any suggestions?

BV

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I was looking at Alpine head units when I bought mine, but they were just too expensive for the features that I wanted. I would like to know where in the hell you stole your deck from...lol.

As for fronts, I love diamond audio!!!! They have some high quality stuff. Plus they are pretty shallow so you can fit them in your doors, unless you plan to make a kick panel for them.

My head unit is a Eclipse cd8443, it's a couple of years old but still sounds damn good. I have been wanting to get some diamond fronts but I have other priorities.

In the back I have a Toby sheriff, which is a Toby 10" dvc sub that comes in a tuned bandpass box. Sounds amazing!!!!!!

It's not too compicated, but it works!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I was looking at Alpine head units when I bought mine, but they were just too expensive for the features that I wanted. I would like to know where in the hell you stole your deck from...lol.
Ebay brother!! You just gotta lurk long enough and use some sniping software and its in the bag!

As for fronts, I love diamond audio!!!! They have some high quality stuff. Plus they are pretty shallow so you can fit them in your doors, unless you plan to make a kick panel for them.
Nice, thanks for tip, Ill look into those...

My head unit is a Eclipse cd8443, it's a couple of years old but still sounds damn good. I have been wanting to get some diamond fronts but I have other priorities.
Eclipse makes good stuff, no doubt! My 9833 is only the 2nd head unit Ive ever owned...I bought an Alpine 7807 new when I was 16 and its been in every car Ive ever owned. I just retired it, and Im turning 30 in December!! And it STILL works and sounds great. The 9833 blows it away though:)

In the back I have a Toby sheriff, which is a Toby 10" dvc sub that comes in a tuned bandpass box. Sounds amazing!!!!!!
It's not too compicated, but it works!
Nice! There's nothing like some serious bass in the trunk...I can't live without it:)

BV

jdubz

Awards
Diamond makes some good stuff from my experiences. My friend hit 159 db under the dash with 2 of their 15" subs. I won first place in my division hitting 149.9 . However, I don't find loud car audio to be as fun as I used to; I'm more of a home theatre audio guy now. Onkyo :twisted:

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have some crystal mobilesound components in the front of my car powered by a 100x2 rms monitor.1 amp. The amp uses the same circuit board as the much more expensive xtant amp. I have a pioneer 9200r headunit that I bought several years ago. It has all the features I need (4v preamps, EQs, HPF, LPF, etc) and just won't break no matter what I put it through! I'm a pioneer HU buyer for life :)

No speakers in the back, and I have a 15" Resonant engineering SX in a 4cf box ported to 29 hz. It's powered by a hifonics 1500 true rms watt amp. I have the sub facing in the cabin and the trunk is sealed off airtight from the rest of the car, so the sub has less air to push and the trunk doesn't rattle.

I upgraded grounds, alternator wires, and battery wires all with 0 gauge wire, and also have 0 running to the trunk where it splits off using blocks. And I also sound deadened the trunk and doors.

I still need an optima and a new alternator though :)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
That sounds like a serious system hypo!! Xtant makes some great amps, the clarity up front must be awesome. I contemplated leaving the rear deck open as well to let any sub I put in the trunk breathe, but with the TimeCorrection on the Alpine deck, the rear speakers are essential to creating the stereo field. The imaging is so impressive, I dont think i could go back to just fronts now. This is contrary to what im used to, where speakers in the rear can actually screw up your imaging unless they're tuned just right.

I have a pair of Altec Lansing 6x9's that will be direct replacements for the factory speakers. Ive had these speakers since i was 17, and they *pound*. NOT like a 15 in a 4ft^3 box:) but feed good power to them and they hit like a good pair of 10's!

BV

GRosk1234

Pi Alpha Omega Epsilon Alpha
Awards
This is my first ever post on the forum but I love the topic.

Currently I have a Sony deck which I'm looking ro replace. Don't ever buy one, they are junk. I think I'm going to switch back to Clarion Pro Audio. I also have a Pioneer 4 ch amp going to 4 Pioneer sorrounds and a Kenwood amp pusing an Infinity Kappa 10 inch sub. I'm very surprised at how good the stuff sounds. It's tuned for more rock than rap.

I used to be the same way with the 1000 watt amp powering 2 15 inch subs. I had to trade those in once I started traveling more for my consulting position.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to AnabolicMinds!!:D:dance:

I used to be the same way with the 1000 watt amp powering 2 15 inch subs. I had to trade those in once I started traveling more for my consulting position.
Ha! Imagine if you had a client in the car and those things went off:)

I ran with 2 Alumapro Alusonic 12's in my Ford Explorer in a 2.75ft^3 sealed box, sounded great but now Im after a cleaner, more accurate, and deeper sound for less trunk space now that Ive got the Honda.

Currently I have a Sony deck which I'm looking ro replace. Don't ever buy one, they are junk. I think I'm going to switch back to Clarion Pro Audio.
Clarion makes great stuff! Check out the specs on the Alpine 9833 if you get a chance, for what you can pick these up for on Ebay it has to be the Car Audio steal of the year:) Those new Claion decks look awesome too though. I see they only have the Time Correction feature on their really high-end decks ($1000+) - if you havent heard a deck with it you have to check it out! The imaging in my car with the 9833 is just phenomenal...

BV

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Actually the face of my enclosure, which protrudes into the cabin from the trunk where the rear seats fold down, is sealed around the edges, sides, etc from the rest of the trunk. This makes the airspace in the trunk completely airtight from the airspace in the car. The result is that the sub (which faces into the cabin) moves less air since it doesn't have trunk air to move as well and creates higher pressure. In actuality, it is a wee bit louder with a normal trunk setup where the sub faces backwards, but since airspace is completely seperate now, I don't have to worry about trunk rattles at all because air in the trunk is not being moved. So I'll gladly trade a decibel or two (well, maybe not two ;)) for a completely quiet trunk! Down here in Florida that's not something you see everyday :)

I'm used to being taught that fronts only, with good enough drivers of course, is always superior to fronts and rears. The serious SQL competitors mostly have fronts only. This is because, as you know, CDs are recorded in sterero so theoretically it is most accurate to play back with two channels. But I haven't heard the alpine personally yet, I'm sure it has some way to reduce the cancelling, etc that you'd get with rears :)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I'm used to being taught that fronts only, with good enough drivers of course, is always superior to fronts and rears. The serious SQL competitors mostly have fronts only. This is because, as you know, CDs are recorded in sterero so theoretically it is most accurate to play back with two channels. But I haven't heard the alpine personally yet, I'm sure it has some way to reduce the cancelling, etc that you'd get with rears
I know! That was always my belief as well. Ill tell you though, If I roll the fader all the way to the front, the soundstage just isnt as 'lush' as it is with the rears on when the TC is activated. It literally sounds like I have a center channel mounted in my dash. A lot of this could be due to the acoustics of the car's cabin as well...I do roll the fader a bit higher to more emphasis on the fronts too.