What happened to EA Sports!?!?

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Ok. It used to be that EA Sports made some of the best games out there. I recently obtained Madden 05 and NHL 06. Both of these games are seriously weak. Particularly NHL 06 completely blows. I have an old 99 version that is much more playable, featured, and fun that this sorry excuse. As for Madden.. it may be the most popular game, but it is not the best option for football. Sega's offering is much better, especially when it comes to all the side things like commentary and the like. EA's game is constantly making errors and sounding very stupid in the comments. What do they have, a bank of 20 sayings or something? Madden has become like a Blitz with more rules or something. Getting a running game going and playing D are not even secondary in this game. Just get a good QB and throw the ball all the time. *sigh*

Ah well... I was HUGELY disappointed in both of these. I removed/uninstalled NHL 06, it is just terrible.

BTW - These comments are based on the PC version; not PS2 or XBOX.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I have been very dissappointed with the NHL series since EA started doing ps2 and xbox. It's impossible to score. I personally think the 'franchise' modes are so stupid and time consuming.

Best hockey game is NHL Hitz (the new one) - midway.

Best ever was NHL94 on PC you could play over a 14.4 modem. I easily played over 1500 games in my career

NCAA06 football is sweet - but it's really hard (Xbox).

Haven't owned Madden since the last PS1 version.

always looking for new games to waste my time with on Xbox Live

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
hey SME - how is Frisby allowed to play football for SC?
I'm guessing he never went to college?

tattoopierced1

EA Sports makes good snowboarding games like the SSX series...i've wasted many hours of my life playing those games...

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Unsure. I believe he went into the military instead of college Then he retired from service and wanted to go to college and also had an interest in playing ball. He was cleared by the NCAA last year, I believe and this year he had his first TD reception.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Seems like I'm going to have to break down and get an X-Box one of these days.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Get the new Xbox - it will play the old Xbox games too

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
New X-Box? Que? Sorry, haven't played video games since I sold my PS2 nearly 2 years ago.

tattoopierced1

xbox 360 that is getting ready to come out, Nov. 22nd.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Might have to look into that. How much will the selling price be if anyone knows? The usual 300 bucks I presume.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Might have to look into that. How much will the selling price be if anyone knows? The usual 300 bucks I presume.
Nope, $400. Games will also cost $60 for some of them; EA being one of them. You can buy a crippled Xbox 360 for $300 but it sounds like all the developers who make games for Xbox 360 hate the crippled version.

Anyway, EA Sports was never good. I think most people liked them because they knew other people who own them. The NFL/NBA 2KX series (now the ESPN series) is much, much better than the steaming excrement that is shot out of EA annually.

hoSSo

Awards
Well EA signed an exclusive deal with the NFL giving them sole rights to make games based on the NFL for the next five years, so one of the reasons why there's nothing really new in this year's Madden is because they dont have any competition...

CyberMuscle

CyberMuscle

Awards
I have never really cared much for EA's sports games but have always liked their war games. Battlefield 2 is awesome.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
When the X-Box and PS2 came out, Playstations dropped to under $100 and eventually went down even further. I'm sort of hoping that with the advent of the X-Box 360 this holiday shoping season, that we might see the original X-Box selling for $99. I might have to pick up one then.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
The only difference between the $300 and $400 Xbox's is that one comes with a hardrive and one doesn't. There is no difference in quality of gameplay.

ESPN is garbage compared to EA. Madden dominates the competition, why do you think the NFL signed with EA instead of sega(espn)?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
400 bucks. Damn. And what is a crippled Xbox? BTW, nice avatar SMA.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
400 bucks. Damn. And what is a crippled Xbox? BTW, nice avatar SMA.
There are two versions of Xbox 360: One with everything in it ($400). It has the hard drive, everything needed to play online games with, video cables so you can play on HDTVs. The second version is $300 and doesn't have the hard drive, limited online capabilities, etc. Some developers are saying that the 64 MB memory cards are too small. Which is kind of BS since PS2 memory cards are 8 MB and hold a lot of information. So stuff like downloading patches for games, custom soundtracks, etc. are not possible with the $300 Xbox 360...unless you buy the Hard Drive which is $99.

ESPN is garbage compared to EA. Madden dominates the competition, why do you think the NFL signed with EA instead of sega(espn)?
So more sales = Quality? Hardly. EA won the bid because ESPN NFL 2K5 sold over 2 million copies of the game for PS2 and Xbox; the best ever in the series so far. However, Madden sales have been declining since Madden NFL 2004 (Madden games sell about 3-4 million annually on all consoles).

Madden used to rule with an iron fist back when the NFL 2K series was on Dreamcast and could only sell a few hundred thousand. When EA saw that they could be losing serious sales from this (Madden is their staple series), they signed with NFL. EA tried to pull the same bullshit with the NBA but they told EA no.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
What is the timeline on the release of the PS3? How will that compare to Xbox 360?

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What is the timeline on the release of the PS3? How will that compare to Xbox 360?
Game developers are speaking out that PS3 is marginally better than Xbox 360. Some of the game developers say that the two are equal enough not to make a difference in the outcome of games. None have said that the PS3 is far better than Xbox 360 or far worse.

PS3 is supposed to hit the US next Fall. Price is unknown at this point but it uses a lot of new, expensive technology including a whole new disc format that is the successor of the DVD. In fact, the CEO of Sony joked that people should get a second job to support the PS3. My guess is that it will probably be $399 like the Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 is like a high powered Mac computer (funny, a Microsoft product with Apple machine parts).

I'm still unsure on which one to get personally. I just dropped $400 on the iPod Video so I can't afford a new gaming machine right now. Both seem like good machines. The breaker for me is if the Xbox 360 will have as big of a pirate game scene as the original. With the Xbox, you can have it play NES, SNES games, arcade games, etc.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
So more sales = Quality?
umm, yeah. That's common sense. ESPN blows bro...especially NBA 2K5...horrible game. Madden is in a class all it's own, ESPN likes to immitate and still can't get it right. Stupid thing to argue, but IMO madden is THE best NFL game out there, you're the first person I've ever heard say otherwise.

btw, where are you getting all of these numbers at regarding copies sold? How do you know that off the top of your head?

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
you're the first person I've ever heard say otherwise
You mean the 2nd.

Also, I played my friends X-Box... Madden and NFL 2K6... no contest. Madden is very limited in terms of realistic playcalling and has multiple errors both in terms of visual miscues and especially in the commentary, though not nearly as bad as the PC version.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
umm, yeah. That's common sense. ESPN blows bro...especially NBA 2K5...horrible game. Madden is in a class all it's own, ESPN likes to immitate and still can't get it right. Stupid thing to argue, but IMO madden is THE best NFL game out there, you're the first person I've ever heard say otherwise.

btw, where are you getting all of these numbers at regarding copies sold? How do you know that off the top of your head?
So I take it you must be a huge NSync, Britney, and Usher fan then?

I was a gaming nerd. Still am in many ways (although I don't own a video game machine right now). I follow sales of games pretty closely. The point I was making is that ESPN is gaining steam and Madden is losing sales at the rate that ESPN is gaining them. EA has more money so they were able to outbid Visual Concepts (I think they're called 2K games now) for the rights to the NFL.

I remember the bad defense you had in Madden 2002. I remember making 70-80 yard passes in Madden NFL 2003. I remembered the overpowered defense of Madden NFL 2004. Madden games are good but ESPN/NFL 2KX is a step above them.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
So I take it you must be a huge NSync, Britney, and Usher fan then?
Absolutely!!! :D Usher is the ****, I have a life-size poster of him on my ceiling...better get with the program silly..pop is where it's at.