Image Editing Software?

Which image editing tool do you use?

• Total voters
A

Atlas

Awards
Hey guys, I'm a little on the computer retarded side so bear with me!
I was wondering what editing software would be best for me and which one you use? I was thinking between Adobe PhotoShop, Gimp, Dogwaffle,Microsoft Paint, Maraxus on Paint(not sure if this is a program?), and FireWorks MX by Macromedia. I want to use the program to put up before and after pics, to alter the pics, and pretty basic stuff. Later on I would like to have a cool intro to a free website so I believe that is where the FireWorks kicks in, but again not sure. I do know I want to later do animated intro's and the like. So if you have any experience with which ever you use, whichever is best, and whichever is the best for being USER FRIENDLY, please feel free to elaborate here! Thanks!

T

texas

Awards
im majoring in graphic design, photoshop is the shittt

Q

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
Well, if price is no option...

I would highly recommend Photoshop but you will need training to operate the function but you can always purchase a book on Photoshop and play around with the software.

or

You can go with Paint Shop Pro and they have an easier setup for beginners and it cost a lot less than Photoshop.

S

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I'm surprised Paint Shop Pro wasn't included in the poll list acutally. It is a very popular and very good program.

I

Ibanez

Awards
I have both Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. Photoshop is definitely the best for image editing.

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Ulead has PhotoImpact and it has some very good functions plus the learning curve is not as bad as Photoshop.. but if you are really wanting to go all out.. photoshop

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
good ole paint and photoshop are all you need.

Last edited:
H

hoSSo

Awards
If professional image editing is what you want then photoshop would be the best. If you're actually going to buy it, then go with Photoshop Elements, its a stripped down version of photoshop, but still with all the important features most really ever need and just the fraction of the price.

GIMP is also a powerful program, but once you get used to photoshop, other programs feel inferior to it. Still, its free so you might still want to try it out.

A

Atlas

Awards
Well like I said I am looking for a good overall program that has lots of cool features, but right now I would be learning stage so I am looking for something that is user friendly and pretty common sense. I would most likely be downloading the program ("legally" of course, because illegal downloads are ILLEGAL of course:rolleyes: ;) :twisted: ). PhotoShop sounds great but I hope it's user friendly. I will look into the PS Elements. I actually will look into everyone's suggestions. Does anyone else have a favorite for ease of use as well. Does PhotoShop or any other program here animate graffics as well? Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming. I am definitely a novice to this.

S

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
When it comes to ease of use Photoshop Elements is definitely the choice. Both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro are not exactly easy to learn/use.

As for animated graphics (as in a site intro) I would use a completely different program. Use Photoshop Elements (or similar) for image manipulation, and then get something like Swish for creating your site introduction. (Its like Flash only cheaper and more simple to learn/use.)

T

tattoopierced1

the Gimp gets things done that I need...and since its free you cant beat that.... As far as software you purchase, Photoshop CS2 is the best IMO...

M

Malek256

Awards
If cost is an issue, check around, you might locate a cheap version of M$ "Picture It!".

Ease of use A-, ability to get *exactly* what you want -- C+.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Any one of the suggested apps will work well for basic manipulation, once you get on them and play around and use the help files as needed you'll find them fairly easy. Photoshop CS would be my recommendation.

No need to buy software, there's full versions avaliable free if you look around.