Who really considers themself 'A Bodybuilder'?

Do you consider yourself a 'bodybuilder'?

• Yes I sure do.

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • No I sure don't.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I really don't know, I just lift weights.

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters
CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I'm not talking about work ethic here...

Who really considers themself "a bodybuilder" with or without the desire to compete?

Who looks at a bodybuilder body (wide shoulders, smallest waist possible - "mister potatohead") the ideal body?

I do all the diet, training and drugs - but I don't really consider myself 'a bodybuilder' as far I have no desire to compete and don't really 'get it'.

Although my super competitive sports days are somewhat behind me, I still consider myself 'an athlete' although I don't train sport specific. I'd rather look athletic than like a true bodybuilder.

Still, I respect bodybuilders to the fullest.

Are all you guys chasing the 'I'm clearly a bodybuilder look'?

mab904

mab904

Awards
I consider myself a bodybuilder. A female bodybuilder. It is a way of life for me now. I live the lifestyle with diet and training year round, not just for shows. Even if I never do another competion I will continue to bodybuild. I'm always dedicated to improving myself in the way I look and feel. Never thought I would step on that stage and compete, but once I did it was addictive. Terrifying and exhilarating all at once. :D

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same deoudes, when people ask me if I'm a bodybuilder, I just say meh, yeah, just in order to end the subject. I just use that term for the lay people that don't understand why we do what we do for no reason...it's like they don't understand how self-improvement could be enjoyable. :rolleyes:

If I try to expalin to them, they just don't understand...and after awhile, I'll just say, nah, I don't workout man, why, do I look like it? pfff...it's so much easier than trying to explain to someone why I do what I do.

I never plan on competing, I just do this for myself since I get great satisfaction from it. I like the way I feel, like the way I look, like the way that it improves me pride, confindence...and the fact that I get more women...lol.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ya i dont think id ever develop a desire to compete either but i definately go into the gym every time thinking how can i make myself look better how can i "build my body" so no in the respects of do i want to have freakishly large muscles and wear a speedo? No. Do i consider working out and the way i look and feel about myself body builder esque? yes.
i think youll find on these boards youll find many who appreciate the BBing the PLing and the like but for the most part we're the guys who are just wanting to look ripped within reason. IMO. And this does not detract from the fact that we're not serious about it... ive built my life around my diet training and supplementation so its not like im not serious about it. we all just have are own goals and just cause i dont compete i dont this it declassifies me from being a body builder.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I consider myself living a bodybuilder lifestyle, but not necessarily a 'competetive' bodybuilder. I have been able to achieve very significant self-improvements and have developed tremendous discipline and perserverance as well. It has become a 'living metaphor' of a process of continuos improvement for my life. Might just compete, too...one day.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm definitely a bodybuilder. I haven't competed yet, but my first competition will be March of 06. My goal is to one day be able to win a pro card.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I'm the same deoudes, when people ask me if I'm a bodybuilder, I just say meh, yeah, just in order to end the subject. I just use that term for the lay people that don't understand why we do what we do for no reason...it's like they don't understand how self-improvement could be enjoyable. :rolleyes:

If I try to expalin to them, they just don't understand...and after awhile, I'll just say, nah, I don't workout man, why, do I look like it? pfff...it's so much easier than trying to explain to someone why I do what I do.

I never plan on competing, I just do this for myself since I get great satisfaction from it. I like the way I feel, like the way I look, like the way that it improves me pride, confindence...and the fact that I get more women...lol.
I agree. The bodybuilder lifestyle (especially drug-free) is a healthy one.

I personally don't understand the 'on stage world'. I don't think it's 'gay' but I don't really get it. Kwycke is trying to explain it to me.

I definitely entered the game for women. But after I broke 200lbs, I had to find another reason - because if you're 100% after girls - you're better at 180ish. Sad but true.

davisville64

Awards
I'm definitely a bodybuilder. I haven't competed yet, but my first competition will be March of 06. My goal is to one day be able to win a pro card.
Same, except not in march 06 :lol:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if I will ever compete, but I think itmight be a good goal for getting in the best shape of my life at some point. I like long, drawn out challenges, which led me to running several marathons a few years ago (I have way too many slow twitch fibers :rasp: ) In a couple of years, I could see myself entering a contest.

In conversation, I sometimes refer to my fitness aspirations as bodybuilding b/c I am primarily concerned with shape, size and symmetry over the application of strength. I'm not so hot on the idea of spray tan and thongs beneath the lights, but I admire the perseverance and dedication it takes to get there.

The truth is that I really don't have any reason to be super-strong. I am already far stronger than most people I know, and I don't play any sports competitively any more. I will say that bbing has improved my performance in the bedroom... :D

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
If you run bike and swim and don't compete are you a triathlete?

Nope

If you lift weights and don't compete are you bodybuilder?

Nope

BTW I AM a triathlete but NOT a bodybuilder. ;)

CROWLER

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bod·y·build·ing

n: The process of developing the musculature of the body through specific types of diet and physical exercise, such as weightlifting, especially for competitive exhibition.

bodybuilder

n: someone who does special exercises to develop a brawny musculature

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Competition is not a requisite of being a bodybuilder.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Not a bodybuilder and think aesthetically it looks like **** (at least in present day terms).

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
I never like the term "bodybuilder", sounds kinda gay. I most likely won't ever compete, I do however want to look like I can.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
While I don't consider myself a bodybuilder, I do follow the drug-free lifestyle (mainly diet) for the health benefits. Also I kinda feel that if you're in the exercise/health industry you have some sort of an obligation to look like it (but that is another debate).

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also I kinda feel that if you're in the exercise/health industry you have some sort of an obligation to look like it (but that is another debate).
I laughed out loud when I read this. My wife was thinking of joining a "Curves" because a few of her friends from work were doing it. When she came home, she said she didn't join because the instructor was like 50 pounds overweight. Apparently the woman was all about celebrating her curves! My wife couldn't understand how this woman was going to help her exercise/give her diet advice. The down side - she wants me to do it!

I don't consider myself a bodybuilder, but rather a person who is interested in maintaining my health/youth as long as possible. That is why I started lifting - now I can't stop.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is an interesting topic.

Years ago I considered myself a bodybuilder. One that could barely bench 225, but one all the same. With just food, no supplements, and today's lifestyle, you can only take yourself so far, especially after the early 20's are past. I was all about being super-healthy, fit, and trying to get bigger while maintaining a decently low bf%.

But as the years wore on, I realized more and more that "bodybuilders" in general don't think like I do. For "them" it was more like "Do what you need to do, whatever it takes, to be as huge as possible as fast as possible. Health? Who cares, as long as you are scary big, scary strong and maybe also scary cut."

Now that I am my closest to actually looking like a serious bodybuilder, I don't consider myself one, not because of the definition B5150 put here, which is all good, but because of association with those maverick-unminded gearheads who will pile on any and every "miracle pill" into a "super stack" for "instant growth", omitting two of the most fundamental things a bodybuilder SHOULD HAVE: Respect, or ideally, LOVE for his/her body, and KNOWLEDGE.

So the short answer is "No, I just lift weights 'cause it feels soooooo gooooood" ;)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
In the professional "I'll do all I can to get on that Olympia stage!" sense, I'm not a bodybuilder.. In the more realistic "athletic build, healthy, symmetrical shape" sense, you damn right I'm a bodybuilder.. ;)

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
"We are unique in that we forge our bodies in the fire of our will." - Han, Enter the Dragon.
I consider myself a bodybuilder in the sense that I, through application of will and intellect, drive to build a better me so that each day done finds me improved in some capacity. I am not a bodybuilder in the commonly accepted use of the term - i.e. one who, in the spirit of vanity drives to attain the most muscle possible. I feel it my obligation to care for this temple God took the care and time to create then buy with sacrifice and allow me to use for the time being - it is the least I can do with it.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"We are unique in that we forge our bodies in the fire of our will." - Han, Enter the Dragon.
I consider myself a bodybuilder in the sense that I, through application of will and intellect, drive to build a better me so that each day done finds me improved in some capacity. I am not a bodybuilder in the commonly accepted use of the term - i.e. one who, in the spirit of vanity drives to attain the most muscle possible. I feel it my obligation to care for this temple God took the care and time to create then buy with sacrifice and allow me to use for the time being - it is the least I can do with it.
:goodpost: :thumbsup:

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
I don't think I'm a bodybuilder and I don't care to be a bodybuilder. I have been told too many times, that I should seriously think about competing in a bodybuilding show but that **** is not me. I heard it from my ex football coach back in high school, ex track coach, relatives, friends, mangers at my gym, workout partners and co-workers. I could not imagine myself walking across a stage in posing trunks. I would feel so naked on that stage. I'm just an athletic built guy that love to workout and love to make the ladies break their neck to get a second look at my body. When you have an athletic built, EVERYONE comes to you for workout advice.

foo.c

Board Supporter
Awards
I don't consider myself a bodybuilder, but bodybuilding has changed my life for the better. (If that makes any sense.)

magic8989

Awards
ya i dont think id ever develop a desire to compete either but i definately go into the gym every time thinking how can i make myself look better how can i "build my body" so no in the respects of do i want to have freakishly large muscles and wear a speedo? No. Do i consider working out and the way i look and feel about myself body builder esque? yes.
i think youll find on these boards youll find many who appreciate the BBing the PLing and the like but for the most part we're the guys who are just wanting to look ripped within reason. IMO. And this does not detract from the fact that we're not serious about it... ive built my life around my diet training and supplementation so its not like im not serious about it. we all just have are own goals and just cause i dont compete i dont this it declassifies me from being a body builder
100% agree and feel the same way. I just enjoying living the lifestyle and improving my body and mind cuz its fun and rewarding.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I don't compete nor will I ever (I think) but I do build my body so doesn't that make me a bodybuilder ?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
train like a powerlifter.

eat like a bodybuilder.

works for me.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a bodybuilder until I can get my diet down--not just get it down for a cycle :sad: And, I'm not a bodybuilder until I diet down for some sort of bodybuilding purpose--not necessarily a competition.

JMO :)