WOOHOO!!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:djparty:

This thread may be viewed as pointless by most, except perhaps DiamondDave.

After much hard work and dedication, I have at last managed to get myself into the top ten on Seal Bounce (Yeti Sports 3) in the arcade. I can't tell you how many times I got so close only to fail. The last time I came this close, I actually had 1650 after 4 throws, I thought I was going to shatter every record. Then I misclicked on the last throw and got 83 or 81, I forget. In any case, I didn't even know you could score that low, I don't think I could have gotten that low a throw if I had tried.

Well, this time there was only a lesser choke. I have over 1500 going into the final throw. I actually had a decent chance to beat the record again. However, I threw under 300 (not a good throw in my book). Nonetheless, my final score was 1789 which was good enough for 5th. All I wanted was to make it to the top ten. I can die happy now.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you feel the way I felt when I passed Contra from the original ninetendo, but I had to do the 30 lives trick :D

knox

Awards
  • Established
so what's the secret to throwing that damn bird so high? I about pee myself when i throw him over 300ft. Does it have anything to do with the waves and the position of the raft upon the initial spin?

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so what's the secret to throwing that damn bird so high? I about pee myself when i throw him over 300ft. Does it have anything to do with the waves and the position of the raft upon the initial spin?
Yes

In order to get the biggest boost from the throw, it has to be as close to vertical with the yeti as possible. However, you want it to be at an angle in order to hit the seals. So near the top when the raft tilts to the right is the optimum time, at least as far as my technique goes. A good solid throw will miss the first couple seals, hit the right wall, and miss the seal right above it on the right and then land ever so slowly on the left seal at about 250. That throw will get you a min of 320. The slower the penguin is moving when it hits a seal the harder the seal will smack it. The closer to the wall the penguin is when it hits the seal, the more vertical it will go. The best shots are when you land at the 250 seal just barely on the edge (as far away from the wall as possible but still touching the seal). Then you get a good shot at getting bounced by other seals in the 300s. The best you can do though is get a strong smack by the seal just under 400. Above 400, the seals do not knock the penguin vertically at all. In fact, if you hit a seal above 400, it will actually stop the penguin from going upward anymore. As a result, the highest I've done in a single shot was 484. If the above 400 seals acted normally, who knows how high I could have gotten.

Btw, the speed of the waves, and the speed the yeti swings have no effect on the resulting throw. The variations in speed of waves and speed of swing only serve to make it tougher to time your shots. The power of the throw is governed only by how close you are to vertical (with respect to the yeti, not the screen) when you release.

knox

Awards
  • Established
awsome advice thanks! I'll have to give it a try and see what happens.

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alright now... slow down. Don' t be beating my high score now.:D

dd

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Let's all gang up on diamonddave and sink him below 10. :D I've been looking for that for a while... :D :p

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
GAH!!! SO FRIGGIN CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got 1835

I had 1593 after 4 throws. I should have just thrown a straight shot instead of trying to bank it.