Need some help with my IBM laptop...

  1. Need some help with my IBM laptop...


    Need some help here ...any advice would be appreicatted.

    I have an IBM thinkpad...it has a slide-out cd-rom on the side. I push a button and the thing slides out...kinda like an electronic spring-loaded deal if you're not familiar with this model.

    Anyways, I keep noticing that when I hit the button to open, or after I slide the drawer back in, or when my computer is in sleep mode and then turn it back on, it makes this abnormal clicking noise that's never happened before...anybody know what this could be or how I could fix it?

  2. tattoopierced1
    tattoopierced1's Avatar

    almost sounds like your CDROM is going out. You should be able to pop it out and buy a new one off of EBAY for pretty cheap. Or, just get rid of the CDROM completely and go with an external USB CDRW...you can pick one of those up for pretty cheap too.

  3. You can swap out for an *upgrade to a dvd/cr-w burner if you know your lappy can handle it.

    shct
    •   
       


  4. thx guys...I was thinking about upgrading it to a DVD/CDRW.... my IBM has a 1.3ghz cpu...pentium 3...I think that should be fast enough...it's about four or so years old.

  5. Thee infamous "Click of Death" well known with IBM Deathstar drives

    You could take it apart and check the gears for wear or dirt but just upgrade it!

  6. haha, thx double E...I'll check out Ebay.

  7. Question: I'm going to be upgrading to a DVD/CD-RW drive. Do I have to buy a software program for burning, or will hte new drive I install have it's own?
  8. tattoopierced1
    tattoopierced1's Avatar

    It will probably come with some, but may I recommend looking into Nero...its the best IMO...

  9. Quote Originally Posted by lifted
    Question: I'm going to be upgrading to a DVD/CD-RW drive. Do I have to buy a software program for burning, or will hte new drive I install have it's own?
    If it`s retail Yes! White box, also known as OEM maybe... used you better ask...

    Tat is right Nero rocks! But get Alcohol 120% for ripping... if that`s your thing.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by tattoopierced1
    It will probably come with some, but may I recommend looking into Nero...its the best IMO...
    Yeah, I actually still have an older (like 2 years old) CD burner that used NERo...it was an awesome program, you could do just about anything with it. I bought that one to put in an older Packard bell desktop that I had sitting around.

    I threw the Pakbell out several months ago, but of course I saved my CDDRW drive and nero software. I was gonna use this drive for my notebook, but there is no way I can do it because there is no USB adapter or anything as it was made for internal PC use...kinda sucks.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by EEmain
    If it`s retail Yes! White box, also known as OEM maybe... used you better ask...

    Tat is right Nero rocks! But get Alcohol 120% for ripping... if that`s your thing.
    The one I was gonna buy would be from Ebay, so I should probably ask.

    What exactly is ripping? Just DL'ing files to my HD, or something else?

    Thx for the advice guys.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by lifted
    The one I was gonna buy would be from Ebay, so I should probably ask.

    What exactly is ripping? Just DL'ing files to my HD, or something else?

    Thx for the advice guys.
    You could go external http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property
    It would depend on the old drive... speed and buffer underrun protection



    Copying of games and such(ripping)... your old copy(Nero) should work with almost any drive

  13. Quote Originally Posted by EEmain
    You could go external http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property
    It would depend on the old drive... speed and buffer underrun protection



    Copying of games and such(ripping)... your old copy(Nero) should work with almost any drive
    thx for the link. So all I would have to do is slide my internal drive into one of those cases and then hook it up to my notebook through it?

  14. Yes..... make sure you get on designed for a CD or Hard drive these have an audio conx on the back

  15. Sweet, that looks like a good solution bro, thx for the help. I can even hook it up to my stereo, not bad.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Need some help with my Order #282233
    By bombBoogie in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
  2. Need some help with my stack
    By jrob24 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
  3. Need some help with my chest workout.
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 05:00 AM
  4. I need some help with my superdrol cycle plz
    By cabby in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 02:22 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Log in
Log in