Holding My Check..

NoSwtTea4U

Board Supporter
Awards
Ok..I get paid thursday but I'm afraid I'm not going to be allowed to get my check. Can companies actually not allow you to get your check? Also, say if my manager took my check himself and held it, could I call the police since he basically stole my money?

The story is that I work at GNC and I recently quit..well we at one point had DVD's from Mucletech which were free to give away, but we made a dollar in commission off of them. Well we ran out of them a while ago but Wednesday was my last day so I figured I would ring up like 80 of them just so I could make $80, why not? Well my manager found out and being a douche called Loss Prevention and let them know. They are now coming on Wednesday to interview my co-worker, who also rang some up. I no longer work there but can they hold my check for this? The $80 won't be on this check btw, it'll be on the next one.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
yes I would think that they could along with charging you with theft of property..

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok..I get paid thursday but I'm afraid I'm not going to be allowed to get my check. Can companies actually not allow you to get your check? Also, say if my manager took my check himself and held it, could I call the police since he basically stole my money?

The story is that I work at GNC and I recently quit..well we at one point had DVD's from Mucletech which were free to give away, but we made a dollar in commission off of them. Well we ran out of them a while ago but Wednesday was my last day so I figured I would ring up like 80 of them just so I could make $80, why not? Well my manager found out and being a douche called Loss Prevention and let them know. They are now coming on Wednesday to interview my co-worker, who also rang some up. I no longer work there but can they hold my check for this? The $80 won't be on this check btw, it'll be on the next one.
This depends on the state you work in. In many states, it is absolutely illegal to hold a last paycheck for any reason, I know California is one of these states. However, I worked in retail security for a number of years, and the generally accepted fact was that we could never hold a person's paycheck, even if we caught them stealing thousands of dollars worth of stuff. So, if you are that worried about it, threaten the manager with a call to the state labor department if your check is not released. This, or a call to the corporate Human Resources of GNC should help you out. If the tell you you have to talk to LP before you get your check, this is illegal everywhere and could lead you to file a countersuit of false imprisonment against them. LP can only talk to you if you are an active employee getting paid for your time. As a caveat, you look pretty guilty of committing fraud, so calling the police would probably not be in your best interest. Since you never received the money, it would be harder to prosecute, but keep this in mind when deciding what steps to take.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
uh yea. You commit fraud, and what do you expect? :think:

Malek256

Awards
I strongly suggest that you think long and hard about what's happening here. You've just veered down a bad path.

Fix it.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
LOL

What a great start to the morning with this hilarious read.

HAHAHAHAHA

Where's Darwin when you need him?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Bro how the hell did you expect to get away with ringing up 80 copies of the MT dvd's? I believe they can deduct the 80 from you but they can't not give you your check. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Just hope they don't press charges on your ass, luckily for you they usually don't as long as your not a dick about it.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bro how the hell did you expect to get away with ringing up 80 copies of the MT dvd's? I believe they can deduct the 80 from you but they can't not give you your check. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Just hope they don't press charges on your ass, luckily for you they usually don't as long as your not a dick about it.
Here in Ontario (Canada), if you don't give the two weeks require notice, they cna hold your last cheque for up to 6 weeks I believe.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
let them keep that check. You'll pay so much more for a lawyer if they decide to prosecute you. Cut your losses here, and give up on that check.
Fix this situation and you BETTER learn from it.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
A few years ago before I finished college, I worked as Loss Prevention for numerous stores. I was so good at catching people, that the boss and co. were just ecstatoc at getting them so many new clients...stores at times would actually request for me to be there on certain days that were bad....well, I had a family emergency and had to fly to another state...soon after I had to quit because some other **** came up and was really busy with school, finals, etc. etc...

ANYWAYS :D ....My boss was really shitty about me quitting on him (even though I did my best and gave him a weeks notice) and refused to give me my last pay until I returned some things (papers, etc...nothing major) Well, w/o knowing this prior I threw all that stuff away. So I called up the Labor union...I think it was the labor union?...and they said under NO circumstances, your employer HAS to give you your pay...so after I found this out, I called my boss and told him I called the labor union, and that was all it took for him to hand over my pay....so don't take no ****...tell them that you're going to the labor union, and they should adhere...if not, call them and the reps at the union will call your boss and make him....

Sure, you were damn wrong for stealing, but you have YOUR rights too.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well if you do go ahead and pursue your check, I do hope that they do decide to press charges... sorry but stealing is stealing I don't give a damn if it was your right to get a final check or not..

NoSwtTea4U

Board Supporter
Awards
Well if you do go ahead and pursue your check, I do hope that they do decide to press charges... sorry but stealing is stealing I don't give a damn if it was your right to get a final check or not..
I'm not sure they can press charges, for those of you who don't know; the companies pay the commission, not GNC. So I guess MuscleTech could press charges, but it would cost more for them to go to court than to lose $80, or to just ask me for it. Thanks for all the help guys and I realize what I did wasn't out of best judgement, but we all make mistakes. Mathew D-You've made bad decisions in your life and I don't think it's the best to wish the worst upon someone, but we all see things differently. Thanks guys..

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
true I have made bad decisions but I sure the hell owned up to them when it hit the fan..

NoSwtTea4U

Board Supporter
Awards
true I have made bad decisions but I sure the hell owned up to them when it hit the fan..
I have owned up the this. I told the manager what I did, he then called Loss Prevention and told them. Had I never told him what I did and chose to ignore him then nothing would have happened, but I chose to and I just wanted to know my rights.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established

have owned up the this. I told the manager what I did, he then called Loss Prevention and told them. Had I never told him what I did and chose to ignore him then nothing would have happened, but I chose to and I just wanted to know my rights..

No bro you have NOT owned up to it and now you are even lying to us.

If you had told you had told your boss you would have said that in your first post. Instead you said he found out.

CROWLER

NoSwtTea4U

Board Supporter
Awards
No bro you have NOT owned up to it and now you are even lying to us.

If you had told you had told your boss you would have said that in your first post. Instead you said he found out.

CROWLER

I actually did tell my manager...I did a quick overview in my first post. There's no way he can just "find out" but I was trying to make the paragraph as short as possible so people would actually read it. Sorry for the confusion..

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
lol what do you mean there is no way he could 'just find out'???? Dude everyone who has ever worked in a retails store knows at the end of the night or the next AM you close out the register and it breaks each category down.

BTW my best friend OWNS a GNC so I KNOW what I am talking about.

CROWLER

NoSwtTea4U

Board Supporter
Awards
lol what do you mean there is no way he could 'just find out'???? Dude everyone who has ever worked in a retails store knows at the end of the night or the next AM you close out the register and it breaks each category down.

BTW my best friend OWNS a GNC so I KNOW what I am talking about.

CROWLER

DVD's are not in the inventory, nor do they belong to a category. Category's are very broad-ie: Multivitamins, Gold Cards, Sports Nutrition, Direct Purchase, etc...There is no way he could have found out without me telling him, I'm sorry. I'm also not going to argue about this..there's no need. Thank you guys for the help.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

lol what a nut.
If your last paycheck was more than $80, I hope you learnt from your lesson. Maybe you'll get your money less the $80 you stole.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
I hope you never own a business, as you will get scammed too, sorry but it's true. I have owned 3 nutrition stores, a liquor store, 2 restaurants, and something else I am sure, and I have seen every scam out there. It is very unethical what you did, and not justifiable. Be a man, nut up and forget your paycheck, and just be happy your not in deep ****.

BTW you burned a bridge, and lost a reference. That may not seem like much but character goes a long way.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Be a man, nut up and forget your paycheck, and just be happy your not in deep ****.

BTW you burned a bridge, and lost a reference. That may not seem like much but character goes a long way.
Don't give up your paycheck, that doesn't help anyone. The company can't legally reclaim the money, and you'd be out the cash. The best scenario for everyone would be for you to get your check and give them back the $80. Otherwise, you will both be out.
As for a reference, the only info they can release on you legally is that you worked there, the dates, and your rate of pay. They can't say ANYTHING else, unless you were convicted of a crime while working there. Even then, it's a toss up whether they would give that info or not, lots of liability involved. Big corporations NEVER give a bad reference, or a good one either. Too much liability in giving an opinion. So, don't think if you are a great worked it matters once you leave, unless you plan on going back to work there. If you need references, ask a boss to write you a personal letter of recommendation and present that at your interview. Since it is personal, there is no liability to the company, although the letter will only comment on your character, not your work habits.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Don't give up your paycheck, that doesn't help anyone. The company can't legally reclaim the money, and you'd be out the cash. The best scenario for everyone would be for you to get your check and give them back the $80. Otherwise, you will both be out.
As for a reference, the only info they can release on you legally is that you worked there, the dates, and your rate of pay. They can't say ANYTHING else, unless you were convicted of a crime while working there. Even then, it's a toss up whether they would give that info or not, lots of liability involved. Big corporations NEVER give a bad reference, or a good one either. Too much liability in giving an opinion. So, don't think if you are a great worked it matters once you leave, unless you plan on going back to work there. If you need references, ask a boss to write you a personal letter of recommendation and present that at your interview. Since it is personal, there is no liability to the company, although the letter will only comment on your character, not your work habits.
Actually, they are also allowed to ask if they would rehire the person...this is where it gets personal and for the most part will make or break you in regards to getting that new job.

I agree with everything else though...just get your check and ask them if they want their 8o bones back...

And as far as using them for a refference, DON'T..lol...why would you wanna put them as a ref, when you know that it will only hinder your chances at getting a new job? Most jobs do not want/need a month to month history...even if they do, explain to them that you worked an under the table job...they aren't allowed to show your app to anyone, so don't worry about big brother finding out...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
And guys, we all make mistakes....get off your high horse about this kid and quit crucifying him...my god, what are you guys, saints? He who hasn't sinned may cast the first stone.

Bro, just get your check, pay them back, and apologize to the staff there....it's not brain surgery. :)

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to sound like I was on a high horse. Petty theft is just a pet peeve of mine. If he nuts up and gives the cash back, that would be very cool.

I BTW, held on to a bonus check of an employee because I caught her stealing $300, and ger bonus was $800. I said as soon as you admit to it and give me the cash back you will get your bonus. She never did...(not very smart huh?)

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to sound like I was on a high horse. Petty theft is just a pet peeve of mine. If he nuts up and gives the cash back, that would be very cool.

I BTW, held on to a bonus check of an employee because I caught her stealing $300, and ger bonus was $800. I said as soon as you admit to it and give me the cash back you will get your bonus. She never did...(not very smart huh?)
Nope, not smart at all...some people are just like that I guess. With myself, I'm so used to admitting when I'm wrong as I had VERY strict parents growing up and I got caught doing EVERYTHING. :)

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am sorry GNC def deserves all the ripoffs!!! For what they charge for supps, and not having knowledgable staff !!! I worked at GNC for 8 months. It was great for discounts but they tell to sell BOGUS products: LIKE FIZOGEN, and MUSCLETECH !!! I have those DVDs and guess how i got them- FREE !!! Dude get your money. YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE !!!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I am sorry GNC def deserves all the ripoffs!!! For what they charge for supps, and not having knowledgable staff !!! I worked at GNC for 8 months. It was great for discounts but they tell to sell BOGUS products: LIKE FIZOGEN, and MUSCLETECH !!! I have those DVDs and guess how i got them- FREE !!! Dude get your money. YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE !!!
WTF are you smoking?

If a company sells products that idiots want, its still the uninformed persons fault....quit making morons into victims and then blaming the entrepreneur who is providing a service, or the corporation who sees an opportunity.

Anyway, just go get the check, give the $80 back to whomever you owe it to, and then you've owned up to your mistakes and you can forget about the whole situation and never do something like that again.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Joke right?

GNC is a competitor of mine, what they sell for $89 I sell for $39. Are they ripping people off? NO! It's called retail, if your a sucker to pay retail, well then it's your own fault. They don't owe anyone anything. Bogus products? Those same products you mentioned abpve can be found at all of your favorite internet stores or wherever you buy your supps.

People do not realise that retail stores have rent, payroll, insurance, payroll taxes (which is higher than payroll itself in some cases) shrink (thanks to guys like apowerz6 and noswtea4u)

"You get what you give" what are you doing for work now? Just wondering.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I work for another vitamin competitor, and i respect them. Not to say stealing is great, but GNC sux, and they overprice ON PURPOSE. I have been in meetings, and addressed my managers about the overpricicng. ANd they have laughed saying someone will buy it so why not have hight prices. And i worked at a competitive GNC. SO please spare me, with the self righteousness. GNC is a greedy corporation point blank. It just pisses me off that its cool to overprice for capitalism, and gains, esp. if they are GARBAGE ASSED supps. I have another job also, and i make alright money, but i still support the Mom and pop small stores, who know what they are selling and actually care for the goal of the customer, not another damned PM. I give positivity, so alot has been given back, if you wonder. the guy had to do what he had to do. In addition i respect corparations that care, and i have and never ripped off a mom and pop store,cuz they struggle to get the business retail steals. So if you want to parade on your high horse about the guy and his burned bridge go right ahead, but i know that GNC sux balls, and overpriced on purpose.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Do you know what it cost to make those shoes you are wearing? It's what makes the world go round man, if someone is willing to pay it, so be it. I can not believe I am sticking up for GNC.

BTW, I am one of those mom and pop stores you speak of, but I understand business, and see the different philosophies, I would rather sell more volume at less price. They offer convienece to some, location in a big prettty high rent mall, could be one of those conviences.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Do you know what it cost to make those shoes you are wearing? It's what makes the world go round man, if someone is willing to pay it, so be it. I can not believe I am sticking up for GNC.

BTW, I am one of those mom and pop stores you speak of, but I understand business, and see the different philosophies, I would rather sell more volume at less price. They offer convienece to some, location in a big prettty high rent mall, could be one of those conviences.
Overprice: Being a competitive gnc, knowing that Musclemilk prices at 24, they sell it for 41.99 then say marked down 25% to 31.75. Then run a sale saying buy one at full price 41.99 and get the second on half off with a net savings of under a dollar. But like a sucker you think because u got one half off you saved- NO not really. Or the detox products, they sell theirs for 50-60-75 bucks, wheras vitamin shoppe, vitamin world sells for tops 40!!! i told management and they said they(consumers) should not do drugs. I mean I have so many instances i could write for days, and its on a manargerial level !!! Refrieddreams i LOVE to support the mom and pop stores, as I give out plugs to most customers who cannot find what they are looking for in the store i work at. I guess I have a serious grudge aginst GNC. I do in fact understand the business of location, but I jjust hate ripping people off, and KNOWING IT, or saying buy Fizogen On cycle you will get HUGE for 5 bux pm. Knowing that the person will have some EXPENSIVE piss. :thumbsup:

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
See, there is a difference in charging retail and decieving people like in the MM story. Good call buddy, BTW, keep supporting the little guy. Just don't rip them off, we get ripped off too.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Who are the Morons?

WTF are you smoking?
Nothing yet don't smoke anymore...

Those morons i am speaking about are the newbies to lifting looking to get some new knowledge on supplementation. I have seen people coming in for protein, coming out with creatine, weight gainer a multi vitamin, and a whole bunch of **** they have not asked for, nor need!!! All for what a $5 pm. Make a person who is coming to you for pure advice pay double and the **** doesnt work !!! Are these the morons you are talking about, just wondering,like i said i hate to see the neophyte getting ripped off both by companies- the supplement company and the gnc they bought it from.

Anyway, just go get the check, give the $80 back to whomever you owe it to, and then you've owned up to your mistakes and you can forget about the whole situation and never do something like that again.-- Ok Ward Cleaver (jk):toofunny:

NoSwtTea4U

Board Supporter
Awards
The outcome of the situation: I rang up 80 DVDs, my coworker rang up 27 DVDs. A total of $107 in commission was paid out. I told my coworker to just say I rang the DVDs up under his # so he doesn't get himself in trouble, so Loss Prevention talked to me(tried to scare me with a lot of bs btw, but I just went along) and $107 will be taken of out my next check. I'm fine with this and glad it's over with. Thanks for the help guys.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Just some general GNC comments...

Yes, they are very pricey (among other negatives) - BUT the BIG issue I have with them is the staff and the 'orientation'/instruction they must receive.

I have rarely been in a GNC, but it has been known to happen. Most of the time, if I am there for any length of time, I come to see rather quickly that the staff neither knows anything nor lets that stop them from their sales pitch. The last time I was in there, the clerk told a lady that 7-Keto was like ephedra only it didn't have caffeine in it.

That seems to be representative of the kind of 'knowledge' and 'help' you can expect there.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The outcome of the situation: I rang up 80 DVDs, my coworker rang up 27 DVDs. A total of $107 in commission was paid out. I told my coworker to just say I rang the DVDs up under his # so he doesn't get himself in trouble, so Loss Prevention talked to me(tried to scare me with a lot of bs btw, but I just went along) and $107 will be taken of out my next check. I'm fine with this and glad it's over with. Thanks for the help guys.
Glad the whole thing is resolved. You didn't have to talk to LP, there is no way they could have taken this case to be prosecuted and I'm sure they tossed the bs at you, that's their job. At least you took the fall for your coworker and they can keep their job with a lesson learned. Seems like everyone is happy now, maybe this thread can die. :hammer:

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
whew, you got lucky. feels good to not have this lingering over you I bet.
hey joecski why couldn't they have prosecuted him?

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
whew, you got lucky. feels good to not have this lingering over you I bet.
hey joecski why couldn't they have prosecuted him?
Primarily becuase there is no retail value for the merchandise he rang up. It would have been almost impossible to prove in court, and just as tough to get past the police. Besides, they had ZERO hard proof that he did anything wrong without his admission. He could have easily said he found a box of these freebies under a counter and handed them out to make extra cash. Could they prove without a doubt that is not what happened?
This may be a case of fraud, but it involves such a small amount of money and is so confusing to a court/police it is definitely not something that any company is going to waste resources and incur liability to prosecute. After all, if they had pursued the case and lost it in court, he could have sued them. Go figure, but that's the way our court system works. That is why retailers have such a tough time dealing with shortages and shrink.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Just some general GNC comments...

. The last time I was in there, the clerk told a lady that 7-Keto was like ephedra only it didn't have caffeine in it.
I know a lot of yall are big on Vitamin shoppe, but they are just as bad, it all depends on the individule you get. A new one opened right next to me, so in order to check out my competion I went in there with my lady (at the time) and she asked the manager what a good fat burner is, and he said CLA. Yes I do know CLA has fat burning properties, but to consider it a fat burner is silly. She then asked well what about this and pointed out Lipo6 (Nutrex) he said I have no idea what that is, even though there was a huge display.

IOW...it all depends on the person behind the counter.