Holding My Check..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Holding My Check..


    Ok..I get paid thursday but I'm afraid I'm not going to be allowed to get my check. Can companies actually not allow you to get your check? Also, say if my manager took my check himself and held it, could I call the police since he basically stole my money?

    The story is that I work at GNC and I recently quit..well we at one point had DVD's from Mucletech which were free to give away, but we made a dollar in commission off of them. Well we ran out of them a while ago but Wednesday was my last day so I figured I would ring up like 80 of them just so I could make $80, why not? Well my manager found out and being a douche called Loss Prevention and let them know. They are now coming on Wednesday to interview my co-worker, who also rang some up. I no longer work there but can they hold my check for this? The $80 won't be on this check btw, it'll be on the next one.


  2. yes I would think that they could along with charging you with theft of property..
    •   
       

  3. Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwtTea4U
    Well my manager found out and being a douche called Loss Prevention and let them know.
    I remember some story about a kettle and a pot and the color black.
    I have no enemies. My friends intensely despise me.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by NoSwtTea4U
    Ok..I get paid thursday but I'm afraid I'm not going to be allowed to get my check. Can companies actually not allow you to get your check? Also, say if my manager took my check himself and held it, could I call the police since he basically stole my money?

    The story is that I work at GNC and I recently quit..well we at one point had DVD's from Mucletech which were free to give away, but we made a dollar in commission off of them. Well we ran out of them a while ago but Wednesday was my last day so I figured I would ring up like 80 of them just so I could make $80, why not? Well my manager found out and being a douche called Loss Prevention and let them know. They are now coming on Wednesday to interview my co-worker, who also rang some up. I no longer work there but can they hold my check for this? The $80 won't be on this check btw, it'll be on the next one.
    This depends on the state you work in. In many states, it is absolutely illegal to hold a last paycheck for any reason, I know California is one of these states. However, I worked in retail security for a number of years, and the generally accepted fact was that we could never hold a person's paycheck, even if we caught them stealing thousands of dollars worth of stuff. So, if you are that worried about it, threaten the manager with a call to the state labor department if your check is not released. This, or a call to the corporate Human Resources of GNC should help you out. If the tell you you have to talk to LP before you get your check, this is illegal everywhere and could lead you to file a countersuit of false imprisonment against them. LP can only talk to you if you are an active employee getting paid for your time. As a caveat, you look pretty guilty of committing fraud, so calling the police would probably not be in your best interest. Since you never received the money, it would be harder to prosecute, but keep this in mind when deciding what steps to take.
    •   
       


  5. uh yea. You commit fraud, and what do you expect?

  6. I strongly suggest that you think long and hard about what's happening here. You've just veered down a bad path.

    Fix it.

  7. LOL

    What a great start to the morning with this hilarious read.

    HAHAHAHAHA

    Where's Darwin when you need him?

  8. Bro how the hell did you expect to get away with ringing up 80 copies of the MT dvd's? I believe they can deduct the 80 from you but they can't not give you your check. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Just hope they don't press charges on your ass, luckily for you they usually don't as long as your not a dick about it.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Bro how the hell did you expect to get away with ringing up 80 copies of the MT dvd's? I believe they can deduct the 80 from you but they can't not give you your check. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Just hope they don't press charges on your ass, luckily for you they usually don't as long as your not a dick about it.
    Here in Ontario (Canada), if you don't give the two weeks require notice, they cna hold your last cheque for up to 6 weeks I believe.

  10. let them keep that check. You'll pay so much more for a lawyer if they decide to prosecute you. Cut your losses here, and give up on that check.
    Fix this situation and you BETTER learn from it.

  11. A few years ago before I finished college, I worked as Loss Prevention for numerous stores. I was so good at catching people, that the boss and co. were just ecstatoc at getting them so many new clients...stores at times would actually request for me to be there on certain days that were bad....well, I had a family emergency and had to fly to another state...soon after I had to quit because some other **** came up and was really busy with school, finals, etc. etc...

    ANYWAYS ....My boss was really ****ty about me quitting on him (even though I did my best and gave him a weeks notice) and refused to give me my last pay until I returned some things (papers, etc...nothing major) Well, w/o knowing this prior I threw all that stuff away. So I called up the Labor union...I think it was the labor union?...and they said under NO circumstances, your employer HAS to give you your pay...so after I found this out, I called my boss and told him I called the labor union, and that was all it took for him to hand over my pay....so don't take no ****...tell them that you're going to the labor union, and they should adhere...if not, call them and the reps at the union will call your boss and make him....

    Sure, you were damn wrong for stealing, but you have YOUR rights too.

  12. Well if you do go ahead and pursue your check, I do hope that they do decide to press charges... sorry but stealing is stealing I don't give a damn if it was your right to get a final check or not..

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    Well if you do go ahead and pursue your check, I do hope that they do decide to press charges... sorry but stealing is stealing I don't give a damn if it was your right to get a final check or not..
    I'm not sure they can press charges, for those of you who don't know; the companies pay the commission, not GNC. So I guess MuscleTech could press charges, but it would cost more for them to go to court than to lose $80, or to just ask me for it. Thanks for all the help guys and I realize what I did wasn't out of best judgement, but we all make mistakes. Mathew D-You've made bad decisions in your life and I don't think it's the best to wish the worst upon someone, but we all see things differently. Thanks guys..

  14. true I have made bad decisions but I sure the hell owned up to them when it hit the fan..

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    true I have made bad decisions but I sure the hell owned up to them when it hit the fan..
    I have owned up the this. I told the manager what I did, he then called Loss Prevention and told them. Had I never told him what I did and chose to ignore him then nothing would have happened, but I chose to and I just wanted to know my rights.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by NoSwtTea4U
    Ok..I get paid thursday but I'm afraid I'm not going to be allowed to get my check. Can companies actually not allow you to get your check? Also, say if my manager took my check himself and held it, could I call the police since he basically stole my money?

    The story is that I work at GNC and I recently quit..well we at one point had DVD's from Mucletech which were free to give away, but we made a dollar in commission off of them. Well we ran out of them a while ago but Wednesday was my last day so I figured I would ring up like 80 of them just so I could make $80, why not? Well my manager found out and being a douche called Loss Prevention and let them know. They are now coming on Wednesday to interview my co-worker, who also rang some up. I no longer work there but can they hold my check for this? The $80 won't be on this check btw, it'll be on the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwtTea4UI
    have owned up the this. I told the manager what I did, he then called Loss Prevention and told them. Had I never told him what I did and chose to ignore him then nothing would have happened, but I chose to and I just wanted to know my rights..


    No bro you have NOT owned up to it and now you are even lying to us.

    If you had told you had told your boss you would have said that in your first post. Instead you said he found out.



    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  17. [QUOTE=CROWLER]
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwtTea4UI have owned up the this. I told the manager what I did, he then called Loss Prevention and told them. Had I never told him what I did and chose to ignore him then nothing would have happened, but I chose to and I just wanted to know my rights..[/QUOTE

    No bro you have NOT owned up to it and now you are even lying to us.

    If you had told you had told your boss you would have said that in your first post. Instead you said he found out.



    CROWLER

    I actually did tell my manager...I did a quick overview in my first post. There's no way he can just "find out" but I was trying to make the paragraph as short as possible so people would actually read it. Sorry for the confusion..

  18. lol what do you mean there is no way he could 'just find out'???? Dude everyone who has ever worked in a retails store knows at the end of the night or the next AM you close out the register and it breaks each category down.


    BTW my best friend OWNS a GNC so I KNOW what I am talking about.



    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  19. Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    lol what do you mean there is no way he could 'just find out'???? Dude everyone who has ever worked in a retails store knows at the end of the night or the next AM you close out the register and it breaks each category down.


    BTW my best friend OWNS a GNC so I KNOW what I am talking about.



    CROWLER

    DVD's are not in the inventory, nor do they belong to a category. Category's are very broad-ie: Multivitamins, Gold Cards, Sports Nutrition, Direct Purchase, etc...There is no way he could have found out without me telling him, I'm sorry. I'm also not going to argue about this..there's no need. Thank you guys for the help.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by NoSwtTea4U
    Ok..I get paid thursday but I'm afraid I'm not going to be allowed to get my check. Can companies actually not allow you to get your check? Also, say if my manager took my check himself and held it, could I call the police since he basically stole my money?

    The story is that I work at GNC and I recently quit..well we at one point had DVD's from Mucletech which were free to give away, but we made a dollar in commission off of them. Well we ran out of them a while ago but Wednesday was my last day so I figured I would ring up like 80 of them just so I could make $80, why not? Well my manager found out and being a douche called Loss Prevention and let them know. They are now coming on Wednesday to interview my co-worker, who also rang some up. I no longer work there but can they hold my check for this? The $80 won't be on this check btw, it'll be on the next one.

    lol what a nut.
    If your last paycheck was more than $80, I hope you learnt from your lesson. Maybe you'll get your money less the $80 you stole.

  21. HEH. That was dumb.

  22. I hope you never own a business, as you will get scammed too, sorry but it's true. I have owned 3 nutrition stores, a liquor store, 2 restaurants, and something else I am sure, and I have seen every scam out there. It is very unethical what you did, and not justifiable. Be a man, nut up and forget your paycheck, and just be happy your not in deep ****.

    BTW you burned a bridge, and lost a reference. That may not seem like much but character goes a long way.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by refrieddreams
    Be a man, nut up and forget your paycheck, and just be happy your not in deep ****.

    BTW you burned a bridge, and lost a reference. That may not seem like much but character goes a long way.
    Don't give up your paycheck, that doesn't help anyone. The company can't legally reclaim the money, and you'd be out the cash. The best scenario for everyone would be for you to get your check and give them back the $80. Otherwise, you will both be out.
    As for a reference, the only info they can release on you legally is that you worked there, the dates, and your rate of pay. They can't say ANYTHING else, unless you were convicted of a crime while working there. Even then, it's a toss up whether they would give that info or not, lots of liability involved. Big corporations NEVER give a bad reference, or a good one either. Too much liability in giving an opinion. So, don't think if you are a great worked it matters once you leave, unless you plan on going back to work there. If you need references, ask a boss to write you a personal letter of recommendation and present that at your interview. Since it is personal, there is no liability to the company, although the letter will only comment on your character, not your work habits.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by joecski
    Don't give up your paycheck, that doesn't help anyone. The company can't legally reclaim the money, and you'd be out the cash. The best scenario for everyone would be for you to get your check and give them back the $80. Otherwise, you will both be out.
    As for a reference, the only info they can release on you legally is that you worked there, the dates, and your rate of pay. They can't say ANYTHING else, unless you were convicted of a crime while working there. Even then, it's a toss up whether they would give that info or not, lots of liability involved. Big corporations NEVER give a bad reference, or a good one either. Too much liability in giving an opinion. So, don't think if you are a great worked it matters once you leave, unless you plan on going back to work there. If you need references, ask a boss to write you a personal letter of recommendation and present that at your interview. Since it is personal, there is no liability to the company, although the letter will only comment on your character, not your work habits.
    Actually, they are also allowed to ask if they would rehire the person...this is where it gets personal and for the most part will make or break you in regards to getting that new job.

    I agree with everything else though...just get your check and ask them if they want their 8o bones back...

    And as far as using them for a refference, DON'T..lol...why would you wanna put them as a ref, when you know that it will only hinder your chances at getting a new job? Most jobs do not want/need a month to month history...even if they do, explain to them that you worked an under the table job...they aren't allowed to show your app to anyone, so don't worry about big brother finding out...
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Regarding my checking out thread
    By Goose in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
  2. Check Out My New Cutting Cycle
    By babygetoboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 08:50 PM
  3. check my routien out
    By Zack in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 10:47 PM
  4. Guys Come Check Out My New Board
    By The Answer in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 12:32 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Log in
Log in