Steroid use among teens (from a 17 year old)

davisville64

Awards
A lot of people say "show me the #'s on weed" when faced with the problem of steroid use in teens. I use to use this. I am not a steroid nor weed nor any other drug user (a rarity in 2005 for kids my age). I am pro-steroid, but only if the users are of age.

Since I have been in high school, 1 student has died as a result of drunk driving, 0 from weed, and 0 from steroids. There was a very near miss recently, however. My friend (we'll call him jake), about 5'10", 165 lbs or so, started taking steroids. He had come to me about two weeks before starting, since there is about as much gossip about me and roids as barry bonds. He was looking for advice. The first thing I did was tell him not to use them till he was 21, you can immagine how far that one got before he refused. I asked him what kind of steroids he had. He said it was an injectible, and thats all he knew. I threw a few names out to see if he would recognize them, but he didnt. Next I said "do you know how to inject them in a vein." He said he did and went throught this bogus process. I then told him that he shouldn't be injecting in a vein, and that he was a dumbass and told him please dont do it. Again he refused and said "are you going to help or will you leave me on my own."

Well the only thing I could do at that point is tell his parents. After school that day I went to the gym. I got home around 4, did home work for a while or so and then finally built up the courage to call his mom. No one was home. I called back again an hour later, still no one. The next day my friend wasn't in school. This got me nervous. I called his mom right away when I got home from school. She told me he had taken steroids (I later fouond out he put, or tried to put them in a vein in his arm), but the dumbass that he was threw the vial away in the trash and his mom found it. This was about 3 weeks ago. Correct me if i'm wrong, but 1 dose couldnt do THAT much to him.

Last week I had a disturbing, but also relieving experience on the same topic. After gym class, some kid who I never ever talked to, didn't even know his name, called me over to a corner of the locker room. He said he had steroids in his back pack, and wanted to know what I thought would be a good dose. Right after I realized he might have a SCHEDJULE 3 DRUG IN SCHOOL, he whipped out a bottle of Nitrix. Man, that was a relief. :cheers:

The above was just background. I dont think that the actual use is the biggest problem about steroid use (if you can follow that).

Why did my friend start steroids? He wasnt on any sports teams, so performance wasn't an issue. He wasnt a bully, so he didnt want to get big just to scare kids. I think the answer lies in the hallways of the schools. All the big and in shape kids are chatty, giving each other high fives and the likes, and somewhat "enjoying" school/ the social atmophere. Then there are the overweight, bag of bone kids that, certantly not all, but some, are quiet, and never say much. They walk with there head down, trying not to be seen almost. I use to be the fattest kid in school, so I know how this feels. This anxiety builds and builds, incubating in a world where apearence is everything. This is made even worse by the teen psyche, where you must be accepted or be a complete loser. Some like myself and my friend rob, a fellow lard ass at the time, just work and work and work untill we get the bodies we want. Then there are some, and no im not putting anyone down or calling them lazy, where this isnt enough. They start to work out and try to eat right, but they are not the hulks or toned guys they want to be, not soon enough. To them, the only thing worse than being out of shape is being out of shape after trying not to. There bodies do not change as fast as there moods, so they get desperate. A tragic few will commit suicide. Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death amongst teens (car accidents being first), and about half of those are due to negative body image. Then there are those who take steroids.

Are steroids harmful to teens? Catastrophic. In my mind however, monotoring steroid use is a better meter for judging the teen society rather then measureing how many endocrine systems are being destroyed.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Surprisingly good post from a 17 year old male.

(We are absolute retards for at least our first 25 years. That I'm sure of.)

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I must say great post bro. Your totaly right in the fact that image is everything in highschool and that if ur not top of the line, then move to the back of the class. You just have to remember atleast you tried to help him even though he did not listen.

Again great post man.

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
i heard a study done on steroids in highschool which totally blew my mind....keep in mind this is what i heard.

girls in highschool take steroids JUST AS OFTEN as guys do. there is relatively no difference in the number of girls that do it than guys.

anyway, great post. i know in my highschool no one would touch steroids.....creatine was looked down on in my highschool :blink:

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The issue with girls using in highschool was way overblown, and Rick Collins wrote about it in the recent MD issue.. True, I even knew of girls on var in highschool, dated a girl in college who used primo alot.. Not that it isn't true, it's just overhyped.. ;)

Davisville, you are wise and beyond your years, somewhat.. :D Once you're able to say you've whupped your ass and ate plenty of food for at least 13yrs, start studying! :ntome:

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i heard a study done on steroids in highschool which totally blew my mind....keep in mind this is what i heard.

girls in highschool take steroids JUST AS OFTEN as guys do. there is relatively no difference in the number of girls that do it than guys.

anyway, great post. i know in my highschool no one would touch steroids.....creatine was looked down on in my highschool :blink:
ya i dont know about this... makes me wonder if they are classifying all the girls on the pill as "roid" takers.:think:

davisville64

Awards

Question is....

Was this a survey where they asked who was on roids, or did they go by how many were caught? I bet a lot of girls think ephedra/creatine are roids.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Question is....

Was this a survey where they asked who was on roids, or did they go by how many were caught? I bet a lot of girls think ephedra/creatine are roids.
That was Rick Collin's point in the article.. Most kids swear creatine is a drug, so in a survey they checked "yes".. ;)

RipdnTxs2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Very insightful post, if only I would have been that wise at a young age....

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Very mature and insightful post. If only all 17 year olds had half your sense.

madskills1388

Banned
Awards
yea i took m1t and im 17 gained a good 10 pounds. some sides

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Madskills you might want to read the board rules and also read what this thread is talking about.. we do not suggest that ANYONE use any AAS before they are 21 years old

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you got some sides alright. Next time, research.

"Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson." -- Vernon Law

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm kind of surprised that steroid use is even close to what the studies were. In my Highschool, only one kid I knew used it. He eventually dropped out to become a boxer. He's my age (20) and has been using consistently since he was 15 or 16. I forget. Everyone else didn't even consider it and will probably never consider taking them.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I think one of the biggest problems is the confusion of what a "steroid" is and how they are classified. I used to work at a Vitamin World and I cannot remember how many times I was asked if the PROTEIN powder had steroids inside.:wtf:

I don't understand how people still don't know that they are illegal and classified w/ narcotics, especially after the myriad stories from the media over the past 5 years or so. Also I think it is hilarious how so many people think that M1T is not a steroid. I'm now a personal trainer and I have overheard dozens of guys talking about how they have been on M1T for 2-3 months and go drinking on the weekends. I all I can think is that it is because of idiots like this that I have to wonder whether or not I will still be able to buy a multi when I am 30. If only everyone would read and research...

Ibanez

Awards
Steroid usage really isn't a problem in High School. True, occasionally you have a really athletically driven school that has to keep the winning streak and some individuals will do whatever necessary to win. However, in my high school we had way more people doing coke and heroin than steroids. Although, one kid I knew was busted for dealing. I can't remember what steroids he was dealing.

I saw some hilarious commerical about steroid abuse. It looked like some eight year old kid and he went to his locker and opened it up and then the screen faded to black and they said their little steroid abuse kills 1.9 million people a year.

Nachez

Banned
Awards
exactly why Gangja should be legalized

legalize it!!!!!
no more drinking!!!

davisville64

Awards
I think one of the biggest problems is the confusion of what a "steroid" is and how they are classified. I used to work at a Vitamin World and I cannot remember how many times I was asked if the PROTEIN powder had steroids inside.:wtf:
I got a story like that, people thinking protein is hard core stuff....

so this kid I know from school really small skinny 130 lbs wet walks into the locker room at my gym. I'm downing 100% Whey from ON. So he says "No wonder your so big, you cheat!" I went on to tell him that the real cheater was his GIRLFRIEND last night :lol:

NJLovehandles

Awards
Great post! You have a very good grasp on life for a 17 Y/o. I'm 25 w a college degree, and you made me feel stupid! Ha

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I could retire now at age 20 if I had a dollar for every person who thought Protein and Creatine were steroids. One of the girls I was with acted like I committed murder in front of her when she found my Whey protein. I wanted to educate her but she wanted nothing to do with me after she found I was "juicing" on whey :toofunny:

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This thread is precisely why I think there should be more education on fitness, especially in high school where so many kids play sports. My high school was the same way, I knew 2 guys ever that took steroids, and my dad wouldn't even let me take creatine or protein powder b/c they were the devil. If I had the knowledge then that I had now about supplementation, diet, and HOW to workout, I would've been probably 10-15 lbs. bigger and lifted 30-50 pounds more on bench and 50-75 more on squat, and cut my 40 time by .1-.2 seconds. That's the difference between the DIII scholarship I got and a DI or DII scholarship for a wideout / DB.

People just DON'T UNDERSTAND anything when it comes to weightlifting these days it seems. And if any of you have read the "when will this metrosexual phase end" thread, I think it goes back to that alot - it's just a reflection of our "style over substance" society. No one wants to put in the hours, do the research, or find out what the best way to approach these things is, and that in turn leads to misconceptions that could easily be laid to rest if more people were educated on the subject. It's really saddening to me..

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This thread is precisely why I think there should be more education on fitness, especially in high school where so many kids play sports. My high school was the same way, I knew 2 guys ever that took steroids, and my dad wouldn't even let me take creatine or protein powder b/c they were the devil. If I had the knowledge then that I had now about supplementation, diet, and HOW to workout, I would've been probably 10-15 lbs. bigger and lifted 30-50 pounds more on bench and 50-75 more on squat, and cut my 40 time by .1-.2 seconds. That's the difference between the DIII scholarship I got and a DI or DII scholarship for a wideout / DB.

People just DON'T UNDERSTAND anything when it comes to weightlifting these days it seems. And if any of you have read the "when will this metrosexual phase end" thread, I think it goes back to that alot - it's just a reflection of our "style over substance" society. No one wants to put in the hours, do the research, or find out what the best way to approach these things is, and that in turn leads to misconceptions that could easily be laid to rest if more people were educated on the subject. It's really saddening to me..
I agree. That and I like your avatar

Ibanez

Awards
The media is useless. They use smoke and mirrors and deceive everyone. They don't report what is real news; they report useless crap to prevent actual news reaching the American People. For instance, a while ago Natalie Hollaway was the rage. Was that really important? NO. True, it's unfortunate that people are kidnapped/raped/murdered, but does a girl disappearing on a vacation island actually have any real relevance to me? No, I can probably guarantee that others have disappeared and haven't made national news.

Another problem I see is independent thinking. Too many people are fed information through TV, newspapers, radio and take it to be fact because they assume, “hey, it’s the TV/Newspaper/radio, they wouldn’t lie.� If individuals would actually take the time to analyze some information, they would realize that sometimes they are getting their leg pulled.

Don’t be a sheep and be led to your slaughter.

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can somewhat relate to this thread, I do have a 17 year old younger brother. I always try to lead him in the right direction when it comes to lifting and bodybuilding. He also has informed me of occasions like you encountered where they are just not willing to budge.

davisville64

Awards
yea i took m1t and im 17 gained a good 10 pounds. some sides
If this is against board rules, sorry

I know you probably wont listen to people telling you not to use ph's/roids. You probably wont listent to me, but i'll say it anyway. DONT USE ROIDS UNTILL YOU ARE 21! And with the 90% chance you throw everything you hear on this board about why you SHOULDNT use roids, I'll tell you this. M1T is probably one of the most dangerous if not the most dangerous drug out there in bodybuilding. If your going to use gear, use some safer stuff.