all computer nerds please enter!

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I gotta admit I'm a computer nerd myself but this is beyond me.

I am trying to go from directx 9.0c back to 9.0b . I have the setup program to do it but it won't because it says I already have a newer version of directx. I know SP2 came with 9.0c. But isn't there a way I can force it to overwrite the 9.0c files with the 9.0b setup program?

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
download directx happy uninstall v3.7 here: http://www.superfoxs.com/
There's a rollback function.

And since I helped you, im gonna vent:
I WANTED TO GO OUT AND PARTY TONIGHT BUT I GOT OUT OF WORK LATE!!! ARRRGGHHHH :frustrate

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I tried to use that program but it says it didn't detect a backup to go to. And I don't have a backup windows xp cd :(. anything else i can do? Thanks for the help by the way, sorry you can't go out!

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
try the uninstall on the program.... it has a bunch of features.
do a clean uninstall then use your copy of the directx 9.0b to reinstall.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
yeah i did and it just says that it cannot find my backup files for the older direct x 8. Then it tells me to try the rollback feature and that doesn't work either.. im ultimately trying to get rid of dx 9c because i cant play videos in my browser becuase of it, that fuckin bug.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
To remove Directx Do the following:
Start -> Run -> regedit
Go to and delete the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX

Restart and XP reinstalls DX... I have XP SP2 and dxdiag shows not detected after...
then run the install proggie...

Last edited:
milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
LMD is actually a football dork??? I love this board, and you too Lake!

nodgodbod

Awards
do a system restore to before you installed directx 9b

hoSSo

Awards
yeah i did and it just says that it cannot find my backup files for the older direct x 8. Then it tells me to try the rollback feature and that doesn't work either.. im ultimately trying to get rid of dx 9c because i cant play videos in my browser becuase of it, that fuckin bug.
I know this doesn't answer your question but are you sure it's directx causing the problem? Have you tried using another browser to see if the problem is still repeating? ( I'd recommend firefox)

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
yeah this doesn't have to be a DX problem, possible codec missing, extentions for IE or FF, tons of other stuff could be wrong.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I've tried reinstalling browsers, tried three different browsers, tried reinstalling media player etc. I did some research and read on a board that it was a direct x 9.0c problem but just installed 9.0b and its still doing it so possibly a 9.0 problem in general. It is annoying. If its in IE and i try to view a video online in browser it will crash and if its in netscape or firefox it will say something like dynamic link library error or some ****, it is so frustratin gnot being about to watch videos!

hoSSo

Awards
Does this happen to all videos on your computer or just videos played in your browsers?

hoSSo

Awards
And I don't know if this was the error you were getting but try this:

Illegal operation in Windows Media Player plugin error. If you find you are getting the following when you try to watch embedded Windows media:
Code: Illegal Operation in Plugin
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Navigator.
  • This can be caused by having Javascript disabled.
  • Click Tools > Options > Web Features and make sure that Javascript is enabled.
  • Make sure that any extensions you might have that can block Javascript are not blocking the site in question or are disabled. These include NoScript.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Get an XP disk(non SP2) if possible and format/reinstall...

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
And I don't know if this was the error you were getting but try this:
Yes this is the exact error I was getting, the dynamic link library error. Javascript is enabled, I don't know where NoScript is. I noticed a lot of people are having this same problem and no one really knows how to fix it.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Lake if your going to try and fix this find out the name of the .dll or .dll`s

start->run-> regsvr32 *.dll ->ok

This will tell you if the file is good or corrupt... normally you would then extract the file from a XP disc
but you can take a floppy to a friends comp... run the utility above... if the file(s) are good copy them to the floppy and then to your comp

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
or you can take out SP2 all together then re-install direct x ater cleaning it out of the registry - sp2 is crap and is the root for most xp issues. You can go to videohelp.com as well and get better codecs and/or use powerdvd for your videos - most stable video player out IMO.