Superstitions, Rituals, Ticks

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
Baseball players are famous for superstitions and pre-game rituals but I'm betting weight lifters have twice as many.. Anyone have a certain meal just for back day? Gotta have that crusty t shirt that you wore when you broke a PR on military presses eight years ago?(just examples) Some other crazy ass, non reasonable tick? Or it just my OCD acting up?:sick: I have a few of them, mostly unnoticeable to anyone else. But I have one that is just plain rediculous..

When I started lifting I was horrible at squats. I could not get the feel for the motion at all and my natural balance has always been poor.. One leg day I was running late and forgetting my clothes I ended up in the squat rack in jeans and work boots. And wouldn't you know it, I nailed every squat. It was so stoked because it had become so frustrating to me that I dreaded leg day and would skip it often.

Now I work out at home in my garage so I never have to be late. But you'll find me there every leg day in jeans and boots squatting like a lunatic LOL

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Shoes seem to make a huge difference for me on squats. I have my "special" pair..a pair of Merrel hikers that have really stiff soles.

I have a couple of tees that I wear that I know must look awful. I wore them when I just started lifting like 9 years ago and now I've filled them out pretty well. I should throw them out but they have mojo, lol.

For DB bench presses I have to have just the right music and I have to clang the Db's together 3 times in order to get a good set.

That's about the extent of my OCD behaviorisms. lol

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I wear all black and have to have my music. I also cannot lift without a hat. At my old gym I would get pissed if "my" locker was taken. I do the same bobbing 1-2-3 breathing count before each lift off and have to be positioned just right before I start said count. I also always piss first and blow my nose, even if I don't need to do either, it will drive me crazy if I don't.

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
Shoes seem to make a huge difference for me on squats. I have my "special" pair..a pair of Merrel hikers that have really stiff soles.

I have a couple of tees that I wear that I know must look awful. I wore them when I just started lifting like 9 years ago and now I've filled them out pretty well. I should throw them out but they have mojo, lol.

For DB bench presses I have to have just the right music and I have to clang the Db's together 3 times in order to get a good set.

That's about the extent of my OCD behaviorisms. lol
LOL I have the db clang one too, just one clang but if it don't clang right that rep don't count lol

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
OCD

I do have OCD and it's funny as hell the things I catch myself doing and have to break from.. Lifting I've gone through a bunch of them.. I've..

Grip bar by rolling pinky first,then ring finger, etc..
Two "bounces" before dead lifts
several different breathing "rhythms"
rotate bar half turn in the rack before lift
count weight on the bar before each set
stretching rituals

I'm sure there's a ton I'm forgetting too LOL

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Nothing too seroius for me...I guess the closest I can get is that before any heavy compound set, I always an hunched over breathing like a woman in labor and then slam my self into position for the lift and go into nut-bag mode. usuallly only lasts for one exercises though. :D

CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal

Awards
  • Established
Time to 're-surface' an old topic, haha.. I CONSTANTLY find myself counting the weight I have on the bar over and over to make sure it's correct. Another thing is the weights on the racks, I like the plates to be consistent/even/etc.

In all honesty, it seems that I have had a MAJOR increase in OCD type behaviors over this past year, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what it's happening.. One thing though, is that I've been trying to figure out why my blood pressure has been high, so perhaps that is producing anxiety, which is kicking up OCD tendencies.. Not sure though..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 27
Ironhyde Powerlifting/Strongman 5
lyfespan Cycle Logs 7