interested in buying a handgun.....

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
I am looking into buying a handgun and was wondering what yall have and what type of input yall could give. I live where they have about the best shooting complex in the state and would like to take advantage of it for learning and self defense purposes.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
recently bought a glock .45

shoots smoother than any handgun i've ever fooled with. hella straight too. depends a lot on how much you're willing to spend. h&k's would be the top notch choice IMO, but they've got a pricetag. Kimber, Glock, and Sig's would be a close second.

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
I personally own a Sig P226 in 9mm and would DEFINITELY recommend it as a handgun. If you want a bigger boom I believe the P220 is the .45 version of the P226.

Also Beretta's model 92 (9mm) and model 96 (.40 cal) are amazing guns as well - if you go this route I would recommend the Brigadier model as it comes with nicer grips and heavier duty slide.

Kimber's are very nice but also very pricey - I don't think I would recommend as a first handgun.

By the way - all those above are semi-auto's. If you want a revolver I would recommend the Smith & Wesson model 686 with 6 inch barrel in .357. Revolvers chambered in .357 can also be loaded with .38 Special with no modification needed - the advantage being that since the .38 has MUCH less of a kick to it, so it's easier to learn on (and for bringing girl's to the range with you - EVERY girl I have taken shooting with me has loved it) plus the rounds are cheaper. Then when you want to make some noise you fill'er up with the .357 rounds and really cause some heat.

Let us know what you decide!

BP

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
was looking at Glock 29 with Night sights,

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
The .40 cal makes a really nice carry gun IMO. Better stopper than the 9mm but still easy to control in a compact frame. Hard to beat a full size .45 for the nightstand though:thumbsup: IMO

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Focus, go with either a .40 or .45 caliber gun if intent is for defense. Choose the gun based on your personal preferences. Some gun ranges rent guns so try a variety and see which suits your needs. If you want one that you can customize fairly inexpensively I'd go with a Colt 1911/1991A1 design. I have several and the only stock parts are the frame and slide.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you want a revolver I would recommend the Smith & Wesson model 686 with 6 inch barrel in .357.
BP
I second this recommendation. Everyone has a tendency to lean towards the semiauto handguns, but I have a S&W 686 with a six inch barrel and absolutely loved it. I would defintely say this is an excellent choice for a first handgun if you are using it to shoot at a range or for home self defense. Easy to maintain and fun to shoot, and the ability to fire .38's really saves cash. It also seems to fit perfectly in my hands, and I had some issues with the smaller semiautos and the slides catching on my hands. However, the 686 isn't really a viable option as a concealed carry piece. I am actually looking at a small Glock, I think it a model 38, as a carry piece.

Good luck!

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
I agree with Focus, go with either a .40 or .45 caliber gun if intent is for defense. Choose the gun based on your personal preferences. Some gun ranges rent guns so try a variety and see which suits your needs. If you want one that you can customize fairly inexpensively I'd go with a Colt 1911/1991A1 design. I have several and the only stock parts are the frame and slide.

I am a big fan of the 1911. Being single action they are not usually favored as a carry weapon but my US military issue 1911 is the pride of my collection:head: I believe para-ordinace made a double action at one time, but I could be wrong

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
FTR, nothin' wrong w/ 9mm - just train yourself to fire 2-3 round bursts, and choose your fodder wisely. Hydra-shok, Cor-Bon, Golden Saber & Black Talon (now "Ranger") are all potent rounds (to name a few) - a couple of those to the midsection will slow down anyone; however, you can't go wrong w/ JHPs in a +P load.

not dissen anyone's choice of arms - all fine mechanisms (personally, I run an all-Ruger household, tho I'm considering a 5-rnd .45 hide-out).

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
I second this recommendation. Everyone has a tendency to lean towards the semiauto handguns, but I have a S&W 686 with a six inch barrel and absolutely loved it. I would defintely say this is an excellent choice for a first handgun if you are using it to shoot at a range or for home self defense. Easy to maintain and fun to shoot, and the ability to fire .38's really saves cash. It also seems to fit perfectly in my hands, and I had some issues with the smaller semiautos and the slides catching on my hands. However, the 686 isn't really a viable option as a concealed carry piece. I am actually looking at a small Glock, I think it a model 38, as a carry piece.

Good luck!
In my opinion if your buying a handgun for self defense .357 isn't best choice. Self defense senario will almost always be close quarters, opt for knock down over velocity. And practice with the round you're going to fire under that senario, if your gonna practice with .38's just buy a .38

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Self defense senario will almost always be close quarters, opt for knock down over velocity. And practice with the round you're going to fire under that senario, if your gonna practice with .38's just buy a .38
:goodpost:

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
I'd have to recommend a Sig 220 in .45 ACP or a Smith and Wesson 686 in 4" or 6" barrel length. I own them both, the wife shoots the 686 in competition and I carry the220 everyday. If you're looking for something for home defense then I'd have to recommend a shortened shotgun. Mossberg and Remington make nice weapons just for this purpose. I use #7 shot with a full turkey choke in mine. Needless to say the only story that will be told at my house will be mine. OTOH if you're rolling in the dough, an MP5SD is nice as is the Mini Uzi :thumbsup: . I likes my rat a tat toyz

ROB

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Lots of good info here. If this is for home defense, I would opt for a shotgun. Then you have the most awesome knockdown power, you can hit something when you are half asleep, and will not shoot your neighbors. Besides, nothing gets a bad guys' attention like the cycling of a shotgun slide :wave:

If you are going to carry, then think about when you'll be doing so. I like to have two types of carry guns. One is a compact Walther PPKS. Great for going out to dinner or to the gym because it hides very easily (hahahah...J/K about the gym:toofunny: .....but it sounded cool). My G/F doesn't like me to carry and she never notices when I do. So I must conceal very well :cool: Then, for times when you can wear a shoulder holster or are going camping or something, you can get the Sig, H&K, Smith, etc. :numbered:

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
you are right there is alot of good info in this thread. i am for sure looking into self defense as well as a good target shooter. The knockdown power and sound of a shotgun would be enought to scare a jackass thats trying to get into your house (along with a Beware of dog sign) but i do already have a shotgun.

what are yalls thoughts on Browning and Ruger?

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
you are right there is alot of good info in this thread. i am for sure looking into self defense as well as a good target shooter. The knockdown power and sound of a shotgun would be enought to scare a jackass thats trying to get into your house (along with a Beware of dog sign) but i do already have a shotgun.

what are yalls thoughts on Browning and Ruger?

Ruger,Browning, S&W, SIG, Glock, etc are all well made pistols. If your buying a handgun for self defense the deciding factors should be size, caliber, and mechanics.

If your going to carry on you or keep in a glove box of car etc you wanna go with a more compact frame. If it is strictly for home protection a larger frame pistol is usually more comfortable to shoot and offers wider range of options.

9mm, .40, .45 are the best suited and most widely available calibers for self defense (My opinion)

Pisol mechanics are usually double action, single action, and SA/DA.
Single action pistols must have the hammer pulled back before they can be fired(ex 1911) Accuracy is improved with this type due to much shorter trigger pull but are not preffered for carry since the pistol would be carried in the less safe "cocked" postion.
Double action pistols usually do not have external hammers.(ex Glock) They are very popular for their simplicity of use and safety. However DA pistols require a much longer trigger pull which can hamper speed and accuracy.
My personal preference are SA/DA auto's with de-cocking levers ( Ex SIG p229) These allow you to chamber a round and lower the hammer with a thumb switch. The pistol will fire the first round with a long trigger pull and the slide will leave the hammer cocked for short pull shots after the initial.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on what you are wanting it for. .45 cal has great stopping power, but will hold less rounds. .40 cal is easier to handle and holds more rounds. One thing to think of is if the gun has a safety or not, or if you even want a safety on it. The Glocks do not offer a safety. Sigs don't have them either, but S&W do, and there are others as well.

If I had to choose, I would go with a Glock .40. I shot one for 5 years while on a swat team and loved it. It's different shooting than any other gun. Now, if I were to go with a .45 cal I'd go with a Sig. That's what I carry right now, and it's sweet. Others have mentioned different guns, which are very good as well.

If I were you, I would try shooting different ones and find the one you like before purchasing it. Some ranges offer to rent a firearm to try out.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i might get one with a safety next time.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How much is .40 ammo relatively? Is ammo cost and availability going to be a factor..

PIOTREK

PIOTREK

Awards
Although slightly off topic, you cant beat a 22 lr. in terms of plinking at random targets be they soda cans, fruit, etc.. Economy wise, this round costs almost nothing thus enabling one to shoot countless rounds for a few bucks!

In terms of stopping power, a 45 auto would probably be your best bet. Anything larger and recoil becomes out of control. Regardless of which gun you choose, spending lots of time on the range is what really counts.

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
Another thing to remember is that these are PERSONAL recommendations. Everyone's hand is different and will hold a gun differently.

Some people mentioned going to ranges to rent guns to try them out first. That is probably the most important thing to do before purchasing your own.

Not many ranges in my area will RENT you the firearm - you need to show up with your own - but if you go to a sporting goods store you can at least hold a couple of different guns to get a feel for them.

Some like double stack magazines, some like the slimmer handle of the single stacks - it's all based on how well you can hold the gun.

Once you determine which one feels right, then you can break that down into caliber, SA, DA, or SA/DA, safeties, and lastly the "optional" features like night sights, light rails, or competition triggers. Base these on what you'll be using the firearm for; target shooting, home defense, or carry.

BP

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
got a s&w 44 magnum for hog hunting. great firearm and packs a punch.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What about the .50 s&w? Eat my dust dirty harry! A hand cannon that one.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
Sig P226, FBI and SEAL tested, #1 in my book. glock #2

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
How much money?? We could go on and on and on about what is good but if you only have 200 bucks in the bank not gonna get much or quality. How much money you have is gonna be the #1 factor in what we can recommend.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Does anybody know the pennsylvania laws for owning or concealing a handgun? I have a a misdermeanor simple assault conviction on my record from 3 years back. From what I read it sounds like I'll probably never be able to own a handgun. I'm guessing their has to be some limitation as to how far back they go but can't find it.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, unless you are considering going for a carry permit with the weapon, a shotgun is the best for home defense, if it has to serve double duty, a 9mm, .40, or .45 would be your best bet, as you move up in size, you get less shots in the magazine, but more stopping power per round. Also, there is a new cartridge out the .45 GAP that can pack the same punch up close with home defense loads as a .45 ACP, and if it remains in production and catches on, will probably be my choice in a CCW pistol, along with a nice .45 ACP for the nightstand.

ManBeast

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Going to look into a compact .40 and get my concealed carry permit in a few months. A Berreta 92 FS has been on my wish list for a loooong time. I'll probably get a Mossberg or other brand of shotgun for home defense and outfit it with some goodies like pistol grips and maybe *in Dr Evil voice* a laayzer sight.

P01Shooter

Awards
First post since this one brought me out. Last year I was looking for my first handgun after shooting a friends Glock 23. My concerns were quality, price, reputation, ergonomics, and looks. Since I wanted to shoot the actual thing at the range I limited my search to 9mm. I also wanted something I could possibly carry IWB.

The Glock is an old quality standby and there isn't much wrong with it but there were several things I didn't like. It points high to me and I wasn't a big fan of the grip. No safety other than your brain. It's the "cool" gun of choice for newbies, teens, Hollywood. The weight is awesome as well as the durability of the finish.

Sigs are sweet pistols and I know one day I will have one. P226 and P228 are solid pistols and the only thing holding me back was price since I wanted a new one. You can find good deals on refurbished ones however.

H&K price range took it out of my league.

Springfield's XD is a solid choice but there have been many problems with the slides rusting. Grip safety and similar action as Glocks. Ergonomics were much better than Glock as well. If going for a composite gun this would be my choice.

Ruger, uh, ugly.

CZ,'s. I saw this one online and fell in love with the P01. It's compact that carries 14 w/ a decocker. CZ's are solid guns and you will be hard pressed to find many negative comments about them. They also are priced very competitively which was a bonus for me at the time. The grip fits like a glove and points very well. I've had it for 1 year now and have probably shot close to 6k rounds and have had 3 failure to ejects using Blazer aluminums which makes me confident it will go off if I ever need it to. I've let 7 people shoot it and 4 have bought a CZ. The only downside is CZ's aren't as big as Glocks, Sigs, SA's, etc so there isn't as big of an accesory market but quality holsters are quite easy to find.

I'd check out forums such as The Highroad or The Firing Line for additional input.

Ianhockey91

Awards
I have a Springfield Armory XD series .40 cal with a 4 inch barrell, im quite happy with the accuracy and kick to it, a very good first handgun IMO (black on black, no barrell light though)

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have a Springfield Armory XD series .40 cal with a 4 inch barrell, im quite happy with the accuracy and kick to it, a very good first handgun IMO (black on black, no barrell light though)
Just purchased a SA XD 9mm sub-compact. I bought it for the size and price, both very small compared to the competition. It shot well at the range, and is comforatble to conceal. I was going to go for the .40, but wanted something my wife could shoot in a pinch with decent results. I was afraid the .40 was too much for her, although she shoots my .357 extremely well when using .38's. So far I am pleased with the Springfield, the biggest knock I saw on it was that it was hard to field strip, which I don't agree with. As far as the slides go, as long as it is cleaned and oiled it should be fine. At least that it what I hope!

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I'm a big Sig fan. IMO you can't beat them. Everyone talks about stopping power with 45s or whatever, but my advice is to find which caliber you can shoot accurately. It doesn't matter how big the hole is, if it's a foot to the side of your target. Besides some of the newer loads in 9mm are very impressive. 357s & 45s are just plain fun though. Here is my new baby.

Attachments

AgentOrange

Awards
FTR, nothin' wrong w/ 9mm - just train yourself to fire 2-3 round bursts, and choose your fodder wisely. Hydra-shok, Cor-Bon, Golden Saber & Black Talon (now "Ranger") are all potent rounds (to name a few) - a couple of those to the midsection will slow down anyone; however, you can't go wrong w/ JHPs in a +P load.

not dissen anyone's choice of arms - all fine mechanisms (personally, I run an all-Ruger household, tho I'm considering a 5-rnd .45 hide-out).
I'm high on the Rugers also BW. P95DC for me. Accurate and easy to control. Plus, with hi-cap mags, you've got plenty of ammo and that's a big plus in my book. Buy quality ammo (high fps, etc.) and you'll be fine. The 1911 is great gun, however, and is always a good choice.

Ruger makes a 9mm plinker rifle that accepts pistol mags... GOTTA get one of those, but am saving for a dragunov first.