Surrrreee Islam is peaceful.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">I know this will be controversial. I also want it to be made clear that I am not talking about individuals but rather about an ideology. It is blatant, willing, ignorance to pretend like Islam does not promote violence. With that said, look at the following picture. This is the ideology that is the fuel behind the enemies of the United States. They start the indoctrination from childhood…..very scary!</SPAN>

Here is the link so that no one thinks I am making this up.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=996&e=1&u=/030313/170/3i5ek.html

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Kid's emulate what they are taught. That mother should be hung in the streets for acutally helping her kid bloody himself why he chants death to America and Israel.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by windwords7
Kid's emulate what they are taught. That mother should be hung in the streets for acutally helping her kid bloody himself why he chants death to America and Israel.

I couldn't agree with you more.  **** hanging, stone her to death.

h19

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Let me also say, preemptively, that I know that not ALL Muslims act like this, at least not here. But in the Middle East it is not the exception but the rule.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Islam is, at it's core, a peacewful religion. The zealots have twisted and interpreted it to mean what they think it means. Death to Jews and non-believers has become the common belief. All this sentiment revolves around land. Land that was promised the Jews from the bible. This has gone back now 2000 years, with Islam being slightly younger than this. So, the fanatics have taken this proverbial ball and run with it. The Jew have been persecuted since Moses led them throught the Red Sea, muslims have just done it longer.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Here are the pics:

"Shiite Muslim men cut their heads with swords during the annual ritual to mark Ashoura Day in the southern Lebanese town of Nabatiyeh, on Thursday March 13, 2003. Hundreds of Shiites in south Lebanon marked the 7th century killing of their most revered saint Imam Hussein, by slashing their heads with blades on the occasion known as Ashoura. Al Hussein was a grandson of Islam's Prophet Mohammed and is a symbol of martydrom for Shiite Muslims. (AP Photo/Mohammed Zaatari) "

Attachments

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Another....

"A Lebanese Shi'ite Muslim mother helps her son beat himself with a sword during a ceremony of Ashoura held in Nabatiyeh, March 13, 2003. Shiites in Lebanon commemorate the killing of Imam Hussein, grandson of the Prophet Mohammed, by his rival over 1,400 years ago. More than 150,000 Lebanese packed the streets of Beirut's southern suburbs on Thursday, chanting 'Death to America,death to Israel,' in a mass rally called by Lebanon's Hizbollah guerrilla group. REUTERS/Jamal Saidi "

Attachments

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have read enough passages from the Koran to agree with Jake. I believe however, that 90% of the world's muslims are peaceful, but there still exist passages in the Koran that state that infidels should die, and killers of said infidels receive merit in the next life. These passages are all a shi'ite muslim needs to vindicate a holy jihad.

Of course, a westerner using the hardcore shi'ite muslims as a standard, would be comparable to the rest of the world thinking all Christians are like the snake-handling, cyanide-drinking Mountain Assembly Pentachostals found only in the rural Appalachia. A perfect example is the muslim who owns the BP gas station one block from my house. His store sold a $20,000,000 winning lottery ticket 2 years ago, and his commision was over $100,000. He said he was blessed by Allah with a wonderful wife and family, and great prosperity, and donated just about all of his winnings to 6 local Christian elementary schools.

Then when the 9-11 disaster struck, the local rednecks broke out his windows, defaced his property, and threatened his family.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
I have read enough passages from the Koran to agree with Jake. I believe however, that 90% of the world's muslims are peaceful, but there still exist passages in the Koran that state that infidels should die, and killers of said infidels receive merit in the next life. These passages are all a shi'ite muslim needs to vindicate a holy jihad.

Of course, a westerner using the hardcore shi'ite muslims as a standard, would be comparable to the rest of the world thinking all Christians are like the snake-handling, cyanide-drinking Mountain Assembly Pentachostals found only in the rural Appalachia. A perfect example is the muslim who owns the BP gas station one block from my house. His store sold a $20,000,000 winning lottery ticket 2 years ago, and his commision was over $100,000. He said he was blessed by Allah with a wonderful wife and family, and great prosperity, and donated just about all of his winnings to 6 local Christian elementary schools.

Then when the 9-11 disaster struck, the local rednecks broke out his windows, defaced his property, and threatened his family.
it is a disgrace that those folks were treated that way in the wake of 9/11. Poor guy had nothing to do with it and apparently was just trying to do good. When I look at how the more Orthodox Muslim countries are being governed, supposedly in accordance with the Koran, where there's no tolerance and women are treated worse than cattle, that suggests to me that they think anyone who does not embrace Islam should be killed....

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
those are shiites. Most muslims would say they dont even practice islam properly.

Hal

Awards
Islam ain't so bad. Christianity ain't so bad either. Before getting too worked up about Islam give a thought to the Crusades or the radical anti-abortionist movement. Personally, I think it kinda stupid to follow any dogma. Were there a God that cared about man do you really think he'd let alot of the things that have happened happen?
Just my thoughts.

Hal

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Guy's, nothing personal at all. But I don't believe that Islam, fundamentally, is a peaceful religion. The Koran and the Old and New Testaments though similar in history are very different at their core. Anytime ANY human is degraded or mistreated with no just cause it is deep injustice. But there are not just a few hundred or even just a few thousand (which would classify the extreme anti-abortion groups numbers, which BTW is no more similar to Christianity than the Ku Klux Klan is) but there are tens of thousands of Muslims who follow militant Muslim practices.

They are the largest militant group (non-military/religious based) of any kind in the world. Their Clerics teach the most violent, anti-anythingnotmuslim doctrines that have ever been heard. Not to just a few kooks (like Benz's snake handlers) but to tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands(it's hard to gauge at this point). There is NO comparison and this is not about one religion vs. another. This is about what Islam IS and what it is BECOMING. 

Obviously there are many muslim today who don't practice Islam with violence but there is coming a day when they will be the minority in their own religion and, like other religions before them, if the old school will not comply with the new school, then the new will ostracize the old until they are but a memory what was, not what is.

Hal

Awards
I disagree, Muslim is essentially a peaceful religion. However there are admittedly provisions in to Koran that can be interpreted violently. Sadly, there are those that have chosen to interpret the Koran as calling for violence and so there are such problems as we see today. With a little creative interpretation the bible can be read the same way.
I really doubt that if there is a God that he/she/it would condone allot of what is done is his/her/it's name.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All religions essentially have the same goal of spiritual enlightenment and eternal life. As with any religion, fundamentalists take things in their literal sense, instead of a spiritual or symbolic sense and get carried away with things.

It has more to do with the environment they are brought up in than the religion in question.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Hal, for the sake of a healthy discussion (not personal in any way ;) ) Can you show me factually how Islam is a peaceful religion and how the New Testament of the Bible is in any way, shape or form, truly "similiar" to the Koran. I'm not talking about people who blatantly take things out of context (in theology this is called the Falacy of Collapsed Context or an F.C.C. violation ;) ) but that looking at what the text says litteraly, that you can not honestly see violence and hatred for the infidel in the Koran with out the contextual gymnastics that it would take to see that in the New Testament or for that matter any other major religions holy book.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
A Shiite Muslim man holds his son as another man in the left slashes his head with a razor during the annual ritual to mark Ashoura Day in the southern Lebanese town of Nabatiyeh, on Thursday, March 13, 2003. Thousands of Shiites in south Lebanon marked the 7th century death of their most revered saint Imam Hussein, by slashing their heads with blades on the occasion known as Ashoura. Al Hussein was a grandson of Islam's Prophet Mohammed and is a symbol of martydrom for Shiite Muslims. People take their children to hairdresser who ritually slashes the children's forehead with a razor, and after the blood is spread by hitting the wound. (AP Photo/Mohammed Zaatari)

Attachments

dez/null

Awards
honestly....................

THE POWER OF ALLAH COMPELS YOU THE POWER OF ALLAH COMPELS YOU....

Allah say HIT YOURSELF!!! WITH A SWORD!!! ON THE HEAD!!!

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Great Article. Take a few moments to read.

By Chuck Morse

As Americans we are steeped in republican values such as limited government, individual rights, and a separation of church and state. We traditionally view our neighbor with a live and let live attitude and, while we may not always approve, more often than not we tolerate our differences. This is why, with all our imperfections, and God knows we have many, we somehow hold together as the most genuinely diverse society ever known to man.

As a result, we seem to have this almost myopic view of the rest of the world. We assume that all faiths, political as well as religious, are like ours, which tends to involve a personal relationship with a God whom we look to as the creator of our natural sovereign rights. We have trouble imagining a nation under the direct rule of clerics, or commissars, who interpret the will of God, or science, and use the muscular force of the state to carry out their interpretations.

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Our nation was born after a bloody revolution against a tyrannical British monarch, King George III. This experience imbued our founding generation with a respect for the sovereign rights of nations. America has often championed the cause of independence from Latin America in the nineteenth century to Europe during the World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, and Kuwait. We instinctively loathed European colonialism with its attempt to physically dominate the world. Likewise, we as a people rejected the maniacal new world order visions of both Nazism and Communism.[/font]

While we've certainly had our share of imperialists operating in the inner reaches of our government and amongst a small segment of our most wealthy establishment, the American people have been notoriously opposed to world dominating schemes. It has never been an element of our religious or political faith. Our idea of utopia has always been to live in peace, under our proverbial fig tree, and leave our neighbor alone to peruse the same. Jefferson expressed this best when he noted in the Declaration of Independence that the truths we hold to be self-evident are "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

The vast majority of Muslims who have settled in America have, thank God, adopted the same peaceful American faith that most of the rest of us have regardless of individual means of worshiping God or not worshiping as the case may be. The same cannot be said of the nations of the world which are presently dominated by religious Muslims. The religious Muslim movement, like Nazism and left-wing Communism before it, has seized the reigns of power in several sovereign states. Like the Nazi's and Communists, they are using that power to spread terror across the planet.

The citizens of these Islamic states chafe under the same type of brutal authoritarianism and one party religious dictatorship as Europeans suffered under Nazism or that Chinese, Cubans or North Koreans under the brutal jackboot of left-wing Communism. The mobs coursing through the streets of Islamic cities chanting anti-American slogans are the same as the Nazi brown shirts looting Jewish businesses during Kristalnacht or Communists burning and looting American inner cities during the summer of love.

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Even though we may be loath to admit it, religious Islam clearly does contain seeds of violence of a type similar to that of its Nazi and Communist counterparts. Like their counterparts, Islam advocates war, or Jihad, as a means of conquering the non-Islamic world. Moderate Muslims have westernized the meaning of Jihad to mean peaceful personal struggle and this is a genuinely progressive development. Like the Nazis and Communists, however, the religious Muslims believe that world peace and happiness will be obtained under what they maintain is the only true faith. Like the Nazis and Communists, they believe that anything is permissible in the pursuit of this glorious goal including total subjugation of peoples and mass murder.
[/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
Chuck Morse
[/font]

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
That child above look like he understands that his religion is non-violent.....NOT!!!

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Though I do not agree with all he says below as I do believe that Koran teaches at it's core hatred and destruction of the infidel, his grasp on the reality if Islam today is honest and sensible.

A quote from Muhammad Farrukh Rafiq:

"The aphorism "every muslim is a potential terrorist", in my opinion, contains a certain amount of truth. Islam written in the books is entirely different from Islam practiced in the street. The concepts and understandings of an ordinary muslim talking and walking in the streets of Karachi or Peshawar are same as that of a mis-guided missile. So, I think, controversy should not be over the nature of Written Islam it should be on the nature of Practiced Islam.

Written Islam or Christianity or Judaism or any other faith is always humane and mild but the way these scripts filter down through the minds of ordinary people with the help of Mullahs is a point to ponder."

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Quote from Metwalli:

"Everyone is taught about Islam in a different way. There are those who are convinced that it's a religion of peace. Been there, made the same mistake. The more you learn, the clearer the picture becomes. The most common argument I've heard from my then fellow Muslims (Woke up and saw the light) is that Islam is the fastest growing religion on earth. So was Malaria at some point in time. That's the thing about Islam, it's well written to suck people in, and then you're so deeply involved that you are blinded and shutout from the outside world. . . The problem ladies and gentlemen lies right here among us, not in the Mid-East. They're using our own resources and making wads of cash to send to the mid East for the "cause" right under our noses, and we still look the other way and continue to lie to ourselves about how they just wish to live among us like everyone else. Everyone else is not blowing us up from the inside out. Wake up and smell the explosives, people."

Hal

Awards
I love healthy discussion, and as long as I don't see any personal attacks I won't take anything personal. In fact, personally, I don't ascribe to any religion.
Anyway, prior to posting specific quotations from either text I'll have to review each...it's been a while since I've either one (gimme some time). Although as you have alluded to...many quotation from the texts can be read to mean just about anything the reader wants.

If I may read too much into either....
I doubt Christ would support what is too often done in his name...and I doubt Mohammed would support what is too often done in his name.

The curious thing with religious fanantism is that it is best fermented in those that have little or no hope of achieving success on Earth.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Hal

If I may read too much into either....
I doubt Christ would support what is too often done in his name...and I doubt Mohammed would support what is too often done in his name. 
Agreed Hal.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Although, I'm not entirely sure Mohammed would not privately support at least some of the things. He did pen the words that are at times very violent in nature.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Windwords....while I can easily see the American viewpoint that Islam is a violent religion I have to disagree. I have done a lot of studying and research on Islamic history (contemporary and ancient) as well as religious history in general and see Islam as very similar to Christianity and Judaism. Look at Christian history for example. Most people will agree that Christianity is a peaceful, pacifistic religion, yet the episodes of Christian violence: the Crusades, the Wars of Religion, the Inquisition, Northern Ireland show that despite one's belief, practice might be very different. Secondly, like someone already mentioned, those pictures were of Shi'ite muslims. Outside of Iran, they are a small minority. Thirdly, similar (though not to the same extent) Islam is not an entirely unified religion. In fact, there are five major schools of Islam based on the teachings of five different doctors of the faith. Unfortunately, due to increased American and European Imperialism as well as other factors the Hanbalism school developed by Ibn-Hanbal and Ibn-Taymiyya became increasingly popular. This was further increased by Abdalwahhâb, creating Hanbalite Wahhabism which is the major cause of religious aggression against the United States. Yet up until the last fifty years or so, Hanbalism was the extreme minority or fringe of traditional Islamic belief. Anyways...just a thought, sorry for the ramblings.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Even though we may be loath to admit it, religious Islam clearly does contain seeds of violence of a type similar to that of its Nazi and Communist counterparts.
This is like comparing apples to oranges. Political theology and religion have no comparison.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by pogue

This is like comparing apples to oranges. Political theology and religion have no comparison.
They do when one is used to influnce the other. That's basic history. This has been so prominent in history that the founding fathers of this nation wrote the permanant seperation of church and state into the constitution. Remeber the Dark Ages and the Catholic Church?

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
They do when one is used to influnce the other. That's basic history. This has been so prominent in history that the founding fathers of this nation wrote the permanant seperation of church and state into the constitution. Remeber the Dark Ages and the Catholic Church?
Regardless, both Communism and Nazism have strict anti-religious doctirines. Their potential towards violence has no specifics towards Islam. Political theory does not define religion, even though religion might sometimes shape governments.

It still says "In God we Trust" on our money.

All I'm saying is that its a poor comparision.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
The reason why some muslims are extreme is because they are behind the times. We should really call all Christians "moderate" Christians, because they don't lop off eachothers limbs like was done during the black plague. All of this type of stuff was done with Christians up until 100 years ago.. which leads me to believe that the countries where this Islamic extremism is coming from must be modernized if you want to see any change in the way they intrepret their religions

Hal

Awards
Religious fanatisism seems to be corellated to education.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
which is perhaps the main reason the medieval world was utterly controlled and manipulated by the church... I agree Hal

if you are pre-emtively forbidden to individually investigate the truth, then the middle men (clergy) obviously have distinct control and can distort/extort as they see fit

Hal

Awards
Right, if you're life sucks...and there is no way you can escape your life...you buy into a religion

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I like to start threads like this, as they generally stimulate intellgent conversation, and we've had some good convo so far. That said, I'm a little dissapointed by the lack of willingness of people here to concede that there are more than just a small minority of Muslims who embody the mentality that we saw grossly demonstrated on Sept. 11th. I even posted other Muslims comments who agree with me more than any of you have! Interesting to say the least.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
BTW, Hal I do not think that that is why most people pursue a spiritual life. There is a big difference between a religiousl system and the acknoweldgement of a spiritual side of our being.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
"More than 150,000 Lebanese packed the streets of Beirut's southern suburbs on Thursday, chanting 'Death to America,death to Israel,' in a mass rally called by Lebanon's Hizbollah guerrilla group." From the article above. That's 150,000 in just one town. More than just a small minority.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Don't mention it WW...always am reading posts on this site but usually post mainly on other boards.

The reason why some muslims are extreme is because they are behind the times. We should really call all Christians "moderate" Christians, because they don't lop off eachothers limbs like was done during the black plague. All of this type of stuff was done with Christians up until 100 years ago.. which leads me to believe that the countries where this Islamic extremism is coming from must be modernized if you want to see any change in the way they intrepret their religions
I'd say this is pretty accurate yet your approaching this with a strong modernist bias. Muslim extremists are "acting out" because their traditional way of life is being challenged (whether rightly or wrongly) and in extremist movements they have found a means to influence these changes. A good read is Jihad vs. McWorld, however it only briefly glosses the surface of the entire Christian/Muslim worldviews. For modern analysis Thomas Friedman is unparalleled.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
"More than 150,000 Lebanese packed the streets of Beirut's southern suburbs on Thursday, chanting 'Death to America,death to Israel,' in a mass rally called by Lebanon's Hizbollah guerrilla group." From the article above. That's 150,000 in just one town. More than just a small minority.
Also, you are right. What began as a small minority movement has gained tremendous popular support among the common people. In Saudi Arabia alone, where the government is one of the most strongly pro-American forces in the Middle East, the common people are becoming more and more anti-American. This is primarily due to the violent rhetoric taught in the common religious schools, yet also from the way America (especially W) has handled itself in recent Middle Eastern affairs.

Hal

Awards
windwords7
I also like the challenge of debating. Such forums as this aren't specifically protected by the Constittution....but I like the fact that the moderators allow such coversations....

Anyway...personally, I dont think any religion is worth the bother. As I consider it, if
God existed or cared, he'd do something about stuff.

Maybe it's just me, I'd kinda like to believe in something, but I just can't see it.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I agree that Muslim anti-american sentiment was being underrated... but you were showing pictures of shiites before.. and they are truly a small minority out of the billion who practice Islam.

Sam Arias

Awards
I wonder if instead of hating on these people for hating on us, we should reach out to them and embrace them as our brothers on this planet. I mean if we send our military over there because we think they might attack us in the future, aren't we only perpetuating the cycle of hate? Aren't we giveing them a concrete reson to hate the US?

Most of these people are dirt poor with no hope of escape, and when you're in the same position as they are, you externalize your problems and look for someone else to blame. Their leaders are smart and give them the perfect scapegoat...Americans. I can't believe the common Muslim truly hates the US, but instead does so because it is the only option given.

Instead of worrying aboutt he politics over there, we should concentrate on helping the common person...and I mean with no strings attached. No Pro-American/Anti-their govt. propaganda, no call to rise up and overthrow their leaders, no expectations of repayment. We should concentrate on making these people like us, by airdropping food and supplies. Their leaders can try to stop us, but in the end their efforts will show the people who they can really trust.

The benefits of this kind of tactic far outweigh any military campaign. After all, their current leaders won't live forever. Sooner or later the people will have influence if not total control, and they won't forget what we did for them. All the so-called religious indoctrination in the world can't erase what you see with your own eyes. Sure we won't see any short-term gains from this, but the long term benefits of turning enemies into friends is priceless.

So maybe we shouldn't start one-sided fights, instead extend our hands in peace and friendship and give people a true reason to consider all sides.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established

Most of these people are dirt poor with no hope of escape, and when you're in the same position as they are, you externalize your problems and look for someone else to blame. Their leaders are smart and give them the perfect scapegoat...Americans. I can't believe the common Muslim truly hates the US, but instead does so because it is the only option given.

While I see what your saying, the situation is not so cut and dry. Muslims are not "hoping for escape". Even though they may be extremely poor by our standards, that is their way of life, and thus what they are used to. However, they are externalizing their problems and while some of these problems are due to low standards of living, others revolve around coping with European and secular influences. Further, the leadership of the Middle East is extremely varied. The regime in Saudi Arabia is one of the most pro-American regimes, yet of the 9/11 terrorists, the majority were from Saudi Arabia. Yet in other nations like Libya, and previously Afghanistan, terrorism was a state sponsored activity. Like the religion, the populace and leadership vary accordingly. To lump all Muslims as extremists, and all Middle Eastern regimes in one category is folly.

Sam Arias

Awards

While I see what your saying, the situation is not so cut and dry. Muslims are not "hoping for escape". Even though they may be extremely poor by our standards, that is their way of life, and thus what they are used to. However, they are externalizing their problems and while some of these problems are due to low standards of living, others revolve around coping with European and secular influences. Further, the leadership of the Middle East is extremely varied. The regime in Saudi Arabia is one of the most pro-American regimes, yet of the 9/11 terrorists, the majority were from Saudi Arabia. Yet in other nations like Libya, and previously Afghanistan, terrorism was a state sponsored activity. Like the religion, the populace and leadership vary accordingly. To lump all Muslims as extremists, and all Middle Eastern regimes in one category is folly.
Your last line tells me that we agree on the issue of this thread, even though we come about it from different angles. If I may, I'd like to go off-topic a little for a comparison.

Saddam has offered money to the families of anyone who chooses to suicide bomb Israel. In a war-torn land where you have Israeli tanks rolling through your neighborhood. Their current existence doesn't offer much worth living for, so if their death could feed their family for a year and possibly make a difference in the conflict, why not take it up?

Bin Laden has somewhat done the same thing, taking members into his AlQaeda network, giving them food, a life, purpose. And even some of the dictators offer the same thing to their people by giving them terrorism. Some people even join our military because they have nothing else to do with their lives. They might not agree with the conflicts they have to fight in, but they do it because they have no other choice in their lives.

Sending the military in is only going to convince people that what their leaders tell them is right. Many people who didn't previously agree with the hierarchy are going to follow and that minority will grow. But instead, if we give people options, if we give them a reason to live, to hope, to remain peaceful, we'll accomplish more than we will with a couple thousand bombs and missles.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
You are correct in saying that for the most part our argument is the same. However, I somewhat disagree with your remarks that
"Their current existence doesn't offer much worth living for, so if their death could feed their family for a year and possibly make a difference in the conflict, why not take it up?"
Every human existence is worth living, regardless if one has three cars, 2.5 kids, has a white pickett fence etc. or lives in a tiny hut in a wartorn land. While some join these movements simply out of a lack of other alternatives or potential social advancement, others join because they happen to be religiously or socially convinced it is the right thing to do (however misguided that might be). Added, comparing Osamma to Saddam, despite the governments repeated attempts to do so, is laughable. The Iraqi government is a secularized government like the United States. That was one of the major reasons we supported the regime initially especially against Iran (and another reason why the Shi'ites hate us). Osamma bases, or tries to base, his claims on "sound" religious backing. Thus while Bin Laden's efforts are pan-national, Saddam is intensely national and only uses religion to bolster support in the middle east.

Sam Arias

Awards
You're right, some of my remarks are kind of cold. I'm looking at it from the perspective that some people feel their lives aren't worth much. I hope I don't seem to knock them. After all, much of Europe has been where they are now, so there is hope for a brighter future.

But when we constantly stick our noses in their region and wage war on their leaders without realizing what they go through day to day, we only add fuel to their hatred and demonstrate that their misguided views of us aren't all that misguided.

And I must apologize, because I'm feeling a little hypocritical for generalizing the common Middle-Eastern person for the sake of arguement, when I disagree with how all followers of Islam have been generalized as evil by the opposing side in this thread.

*extends the olive branch of peace*

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good to me, anyone else have any input? Me and Sam have pretty much covered our viewpoints in full.
Anyone....
Bueller, Bueller..