Hernia

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well I went to the doc because I had a feeling that I was getting a hernia on the right side of my groin.
To my surprise I didn't have one. He said the wall was strecthing an could soon become one. More than likely
I will end up with one someday on that side, but there is also a chance it will stop stretching soon and I won't ever have a problem.
Sound alright so far huh? Than he looks at me and says unfortunately you have a big hernia on your left side. Within the past couple of days it started hurting too. Assuming its from my intestine being descended into my sac.... sounds fun huh. Well the GREAT news is that after my surgery I only have to stay out of the gym two days, and the first two days back I have to use half the weight I normally use. Than back to regular. I just can't lift hard right now because it just makes it worse. Surgery is not this friday but the following( week and a half away). I am pissed!!!

Blackwolf

Awards
snip. Well the GREAT news is that after my surgery I only have to stay out of the gym two days, and the first two days back I have to use half the weight I normally use. Than back to regular. I just can't lift hard right now because it just makes it worse. Surgery is not this friday but the following( week and a half away). I am pissed!!!
Hey Max....... 2 days and back to lifting full weight ?? I don't know about that......
I just had surgery on monday (sucks) and todays wed, well, my doc said I could start lifting
in 2 weeks (back to full weight) .... I had the patch done..
looks like a good job too...., but he doesn't want me to lift anything over 10 lbs for 1st week.
then I can go to half on 2nd week, then back to normal after 2nd week....

I've read about others and they were limited to 4 weeks of light lifting .....
hmmmmmmmm
guess it depends on alot of stuff...

good luck......

joe

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I know thats quick. My friend got his last year and was out of work for six weeks. This doc is known very well for his method and yes the mesh is involved. An up and coming bodybuilder (by that I mean he is sponsored and well known just doesn't have his procard yet) at my gym a few years back went to this doc. He tore his spermatic chords and had alot of damage. Was back and training 3 days later and even competed 2 weeks later. I know even more people with the same results from this doc. Just upset because of the setback. But 2 days isn't bad. Hope you feel better soon bro. I'll let you know after my surgery how it went. Thanks.

BTW did your doc make you do the walking thing? This doc says day of surgery I have to walk 4 times for a half hour each time. Than or the next 10 its 4 times a day for an hour a piece. He said the walking will cause a burning sensation which is part of the quick healing. He also said for majority of people ibuprofen is enough for the pain. If not they will give me a script but usually it is not needed. The whole thing sounds easy. Said the procedure takes 15 minutes. This guy supposedly knows his stuff and is used to doing this procedure for many athletes such as powerlifters. Hope its as successful for me.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
GEEZ.....sounds easy enough. I have an umbilical hernia that I've been putting off getting fixed because I don't want to have the time out of the gym. I'm thinking that I'll get it fixed in the Fall. I wish I knew of a surgeon that had the experience like yours.....I'm sure that it makes a world of difference. You don't happen to be in Wa. state do you?

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No I don't. Ohio. I will tell you though athletes from other states have had to fly to him because of having the need to be fixed quick for stuff like competitions. If you want pm me and I'll give you his name and number so you can find out some info. Maybe he has a buddy in your area that practices the same method.

I would have waited for mine too but mine is starting to hurt. My scrotum looks like there is a golfball above my left nut too. For awhile it wasn't bad it just felt like a vein but then it got big. Be careful SJA. If it rips through and shreds the wall he said you can have something called a hematoma(not sure about the spelling). Thats what the bodybuilder at my gym had and he had some wicked pain along with a black abdominal area until his surgery.. although it should be noted he was still training again in three days.

corteztk1982

Awards
im in ohio too bro. canton/massillon area.

i think i might have a hernia like issue going on. in my ab area there is a hard lump about the size of a peanut but i donno what it is. im a fatass right now and can feel it through the fat

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
GEEZ.....sounds easy enough. I have an umbilical hernia that I've been putting off getting fixed because I don't want to have the time out of the gym. I'm thinking that I'll get it fixed in the Fall. I wish I knew of a surgeon that had the experience like yours.....I'm sure that it makes a world of difference. You don't happen to be in Wa. state do you?
I think its a matter of perspective and if you've avoided injury for tha most part of your life, I'd consider this a drop in tha bucket... but that's just me:)

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I hear ya Toad :thumbsup:

How have you been BTW......I need to give you a ringy ding :hammer: :hammer:

Blackwolf

Awards
snip

BTW did your doc make you do the walking thing? This doc says day of surgery I have to walk 4 times for a half hour each time. Than or the next 10 its 4 times a day for an hour a piece. He said the walking will cause a burning sensation which is part of the quick healing. He also said for majority of people ibuprofen is enough for the pain. If not they will give me a script but usually it is not needed. The whole thing sounds easy. Said the procedure takes 15 minutes. This guy supposedly knows his stuff and is used to doing this procedure for many athletes such as powerlifters. Hope its as successful for me.
Hey Max, no my doc didn't tell me to walk. He said just the oposite.. he said keep feet up for 2 days after surgery, then on 3rd day start walking as much as you can handle....., but no lifting until after week one..
I had the Inguinal Hernia...,
I really don't have much pain today (3rd day), the 2nd day was the worst and it's not bad either. Just be careful on the recovery.......
good luck

Hey corteztk1982, you might have a hernia, I don't know, ....... does it bulge out when
you cough ? I had mine for about 2 months until it started to hurt a bit to much.......
might want to get it looked at just the same........

joe

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice blackwolf. I will be careful. I just am praying that he is right about that fast recovery. Good to see your pain is mostly gone and good luck on your quick recovery as well bro.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
im in ohio too bro. canton/massillon area.

i think i might have a hernia like issue going on. in my ab area there is a hard lump about the size of a peanut but i donno what it is. im a fatass right now and can feel it through the fat
Can you push it back in? Some people say you can push it in and then it pops back out a sec or two later. Either way get it checked this doc is about an hour and 15 min. away from you. I am from the cleveland area. This doctor is located in Cleveland close to beechwood. Let me know if want more info such as location and docs name and number. Not sure if there is any rule on posting stuff like that on an open forum. At least get it checked man.

corteztk1982

Awards
thanks bro. i made an appt with my dr to see what was up

Blackwolf

Awards
Just for posting info, it's been 10 days since I've had

my hernia surgery, (patch) and I'm lifting 50% what I was
before injury..... with no pain...... I could push it ,
but will wait another week.......
I saw the doc on mon , july 18 and he said, just
go by how much pain you want to put up
with....... lol........

so , for anyone that's considering this type of
surgery, I'd say go for it if you need it.....
No problems here, (yet ) lol.......
My girlfriend says I'm crazy and typical male..

I love her....... :)

Joe

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My surgery is tomorrow and I cannot wait to get this over with. Sounds like you are doing pretty damn good Blackwolf and thats awesome. I'll keep you updated on my recovery. I am sure I will be on here pretty much all day after about 11:30.

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey Max-rot98.... keep us updated for sure.....

I just did some squats today, didn't push it, then went and walked
4 miles in the 90 degree heat ...... no problems, except sweating like
a pig........ :)

I'll tell you one thing I had problems with after the surgery, was
constipation, no one told me about maybe getting this because
of the anisthesia...., had to go and get some pills to let it flow !
lol......
Might not happen you , but just thought I'd 'warn' ya.......
my doc said that's a common side effect for going under.....
Duh , he should've said something about it BEFORE the surgery..

oh well......

good luck...........

joe

My surgery is tomorrow and I cannot wait to get this over with. Sounds like you are doing pretty damn good Blackwolf and thats awesome. I'll keep you updated on my recovery. I am sure I will be on here pretty much all day after about 11:30.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I thought that this was a local anesthetic surgery. You were put out for this?

Blackwolf

Awards
I thought that this was a local anesthetic surgery. You were put out for this?
Hey SJA, yeah, they knocked me out for about an hour......
the doc said he doesn't like using the local anesthesia because
it usually causes more problems than not.... he said if you're awake
you might cough or move around and stuff will start poping out of
the incision ...... lol.....

I talked to 3 other docs ( on the phone) before this guy and all
said they knock you out...

All I remember was having 4 beautiful nurses standing around me
waiting for me to pass out from anesthesia, and then I sure hope
each and every one of them had sex with me ! woo hoo.....
;)

joe

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
he said if you're awake
you might cough or move around and stuff will start poping out of
the incision ...... lol.....
I've thought about this.....had me worried. Glad to know that they knock you out.

All I remember was having 4 beautiful nurses standing around me
waiting for me to pass out from anesthesia, and then I sure hope
each and every one of them had sex with me ! woo hoo.....
I'm thinking that they should wake you first and then give you a happy finish......although I'm not sure if it would be covered by insurance.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well went into surgery around 10:30 and was in my car on the way home by noon. My doc told me if I take the vicodin to take milk of magnesia with it. Thank you for the heads uo blackwolf. Did my fist half hour walk and it wasn't too bad. The last couple of minutes it started throbbing but it wasn't that bad. Doc still says by monday I'll be lifting again. Said by then the patch is definately stayin where it is I just might experience some pain and discomfort. We will see.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
God I hate coming out of anesthesia.
It feels like I've been floored by Terry Tate.

It's so annoying having them ask you questions when you can barely muster enough strength to open your eyes.

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey Max-rot98, good for you ! Walking already ! , the test will be tomarrow !
My doc gave me darvocet, that stuff is about useless. He said he'd give me
Vicodin too, but since Darvocet made me nausious, he said that it probably would
be worse on Vicodin. I just took the pain pills for 4 days and had to get off
it, just made me to dizzy. Vicodin is a very good , strong pain killer though ,
so just be careful about popping the incision ! Did they just use tape
to hold it together ? That's what they did to me, worked great...
Keep us updated Max.,,

Hey SJA ! Yeah, I agree with ya about them waking me up BEFORE
the sex with the 4 sexy nurses..... LOL...... that sure would
have me going in for another hernia surgery......... bwahahahaha

joe

Well went into surgery around 10:30 and was in my car on the way home by noon. My doc told me if I take the vicodin to take milk of magnesia with it. Thank you for the heads uo blackwolf. Did my fist half hour walk and it wasn't too bad. The last couple of minutes it started throbbing but it wasn't that bad. Doc still says by monday I'll be lifting again. Said by then the patch is definately stayin where it is I just might experience some pain and discomfort. We will see.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
God I hate coming out of anesthesia.
It feels like I've been floored by Terry Tate.

It's so annoying having them ask you questions when you can barely muster enough strength to open your eyes.
They really didn't bug me just offered me food and water. Funny thing was they asked me if I wasnted more crackers and I guess
I looked at her confused because I didn't remember eating the first bag, lol.

In reply to your question Blackwolf it is paper taped shut. I have yet to see my incision though. I have this big rubber pad or band
spanning my lower abdominal area. I can't take it off til tomorrow in the shower though.
Took my second walk a little bit ago and it was not fun. I definately hurt alot more this time. About to take another one as well. Hopefully this one is
a little better.
How was sleeping your first two nights? Seems a little rough finding a comfortable position.

corteztk1982

Awards
im worried. my visit is next week. theres a small lump like a peanut on my left ab

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You probably have one then bro but cheer up. Don't know of too many people that die from hernias nowadays. lol. The worst thing that could happen is you have one, you get surgery, take a little time off and then back to normal, with an intense fear of sneezing. You'll be fine bro. Please let me know what your doc says. :thumbsup:

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey Max-rot98......., they didn't bug me either when I came out of anesthesia, but at least I
remember eating my first bag of crackers ! lol......

They didn't put a rubber pad on my stomach, just the tape. That's one thing that was
hard to do , is sleep. They told me to sleep with a ice pack , and they said , Linda, didn't
count ! lol........ so , the first 2 days I had ice on it 24 hours.... or pretty close to that.
I used those blue containers that freeze solid and don't leak..... worked out good.

They gave me a nice but cheap wrap around cloth/plastic doo-hicky that you could
put ice in then tie it to ya so you could walk around or sleep with
it without to much of a problem.

joe

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I haven't been icing all that much but I am from here on out. My first walk today was hell for the first fifteen minutes but it did get better. Thank god its time to take more vicodin.

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey Max, yeah , Ice, ice, ice for the first few days, really helped me with the
pain and swelling , kept both down...

hanging there, the worst part is already over !

joe

Yeah I haven't been icing all that much but I am from here on out. My first walk today was hell for the first fifteen minutes but it did get better. Thank god its time to take more vicodin.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well I went back to the gym today. As the doctor suggested I took it easy. Trained arms lightly and it went ok. Doc said by now the mesh is staying where it is, its just how much pain you can deal with. Well after my 6th working set of supersetting bi's and tri's the burning sensation from tightening my abdominal area got pretty intense. I expected it would and I don't think I will get a full workout in tomorrow either. But I think by wednesday it will be pretty damn good.

corteztk1982

Awards
i go to the docs tomorrow. what can i expect him to do when im in there? also i noticed that my left testicl is sore. like a dull ache more in the tubes than the ball

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Beat your area like a punching bag, j/k. Don't worry he will feel your pubic area and have you cough a couple of times. It will only take about 30 seconds. It really isn't so bad. If its a female doc you better hope the room is warm. Mine was like 25 degrees dude.. Make sure you tell him about the pain. I experienced it also before my surgery.. Now my left testicle is the size of a small apple and my sac is black from my surgery. Feels awesome..

Make sure you keep us updated on what your doc says bro.

Last edited:

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey Max, I didn't have any swelling , maybe cuz I
used Ice for two days in a row ?
I know about the shrinkage though ! especially when I
was in the operating room with those four beautiful
nurses ! It was freezing in there ! I was drugged up
and couldn't help it ! lol.......

I hope you get to feeling better soon ... I've lost about
10 lbs through the whole ordeal...... started gaining
as of yesterday....... I should be back to
lifting 90% by next monday, that's 3 weeks after surgery.....,

You getting the tape off on Friday ??

good luck
joe

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
They said to let it fall off on its own. I am lifting and feel good. Swelling they said is normal so is bruising in the penis scrotum and upper thigh/lower abdominal are. Sitting up and maneuvering is easy bending over still a little rough.
Really sucks that you lost weight but it should come back quick. Thanks joe and best of luck to you as well.

corteztk1982

Awards
weird thing is i have the nut pain but the hernia is on my stomach....wtf

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hmm..don't understand. Maybe somehow its effecting that area or maybe you strained yourself down there. Well, what are you on right now (supps. aas etc)?

anadrol75

Awards
I had the screen sewn in about ten years ago. I started back to the gym too early and havn't been right since. Be very careful with this.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
will do, I am working out but anything that pulls or strectches too much I go lighter with. Trying to keep everything together until I can go balls to the wall again. Assuming by monday I can start deadlifting again

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
OK guys....I'm going in for surgery in the morning. YEE-f'n-HAW

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good luck SJA. I had a hernia repaired about 3 or 4 months ago. I'm not having any pain or problems with it, but there's still a fairly large lump of scar tissue at the repair site that is going down a LOT slower than I had hoped. Mine was an umbilical hernia, so luckily I have plently of fat to hide the scar tissue lump. :food:

dd

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
really sja my second hernia surgery is tomorrow morning as well. Hope everything goes good for you bro

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
after this fall/winter LBM cycles...i'm under the knife as well...its getting worse

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah people put them off for a while sometimes. My last one was so bad I could not wait and since I was down from that one I figured I would get this one out of the way too. Be careful with the deadlifts B. Those are the hardest on my hernia.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
really sja my second hernia surgery is tomorrow morning as well. Hope everything goes good for you bro

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: What time? Mine is at 9:45 (check-in at 8:45). Maybe we'll be sleeping together :run:

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Hey Max...how are you doing? Mine went well...I just feel like someone stabbed me and took my money...but I can walk and type. It's amazing how much your abs are used for simple ****. When I first woke up, I was thinking "****....this HURTS!!!" Then they gave me a shot of Dilaudid and all was fine :D

Now, I have some Vicodin but haven't taken any yet. I 'm just eating and eating (lots for fiber too so that I can get things moving easily). I'm also icing like a maniac. I appreciate all the feedback...I think it is going to make recovery quick.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey Max...how are you doing? Mine went well...I just feel like someone stabbed me and took my money...but I can walk and type. It's amazing how much your abs are used for simple ****. When I first woke up, I was thinking "****....this HURTS!!!" Then they gave me a shot of Dilaudid and all was fine :D

Now, I have some Vicodin but haven't taken any yet. I 'm just eating and eating (lots for fiber too so that I can get things moving easily). I'm also icing like a maniac. I appreciate all the feedback...I think it is going to make recovery quick.
Ice helps BIGTIME bro. Dude I am so relieved the pain is like a quarter of what I had last time. Probably because it is less than half the size. Doc didn't even put in mesh. The hernia was 2.5 inches but very narrow so he just sowed it together. Better than 5.7 like my last one!

Getting out of bed suck. I was also amazed at the ab thing too. Walk 4 times a day today a half hour a peice and starting tomorrow 4 times for an hour each. Thats the trick with the fast recovery according to my doc. Take the vicodin because tomorrow and sunday will be the worst. I remember trying to get up saturday evening and the pain hit like a ton of bricks.

I use low dosed milk of magnesia along with fiber just to help things along. I will be hard to bear(sp?) down the first time you drop a deuce.

Hope the best for you brother, very soon you'll be back getting huge and no more hernia. Keep me updated!:thumbsup:

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
day after update

Well, this morning was a bit rough getting out of bed. But as I moved around I felt better. I took a Vicodin before I went to bed, but that's the only time I have used it thus far. Going #2 has not been a problem.....but after reading on here, I decided to eat a lot of fruit adn Fiber One....so let em rip!! :D

I did 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning and felt fine. Came home and took a power nap. When I woke up I was f'd again. So now I'm headed up for another round on the treadmill.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
A week later update
I still have some swelling. I can feel a hard lump around the area of the patch. I'm able to get around pretty well. I've lifted the past couple days and feel that I can go heavier but am reluctant to do so at this point. Tomorrow I may up the weight a little. One thing that is still painful is if I try to sit up. I still have to roll onto my side to get up. I can tie my own shoes now :D

KD1

Awards
  • Established
Hernia's suck, I had a double about 10 years ago. It took me about a year to regain the condition I had before the op. I took 6 weeks off but couldent do hard abs work for another 4 weeks or so.

The tubes thing sounds like something else, I had that just recently and I ran to the doc all freaked out that a hernia was returning. But it turned out to be a muscle cramp caused by a recent strong ejaculation. It went away in a couple days.