Why do you lift?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Why do you lift?

Why do you lift?

I want you to take the question seriously and not just post half-witty one-liners. I want this to be at least somewhat profound. I expect good things from this thread...

Me, personally, I lift because I'm convinced that nothing is more awe-inspiring than lifting heavy weights. It is, to me, the purest and most savage form of manliness-display in the universe. It isn't like martial arts or warfare where you can win with cheap tactics. In weightlifting (or powerlifting), the strongest man will always win. Yes, technique is important, but not as important as raw, physical strength. You can't cheat...

2. So I can enjoy free pizza at Planet Fitness.
    •   

3. I posted a thread similar to this.

"And hereís what I will share with you, that in the process of working on your dreams you are going to incur a lot of disappointment, a lot of failure, a lot of pain, a lot of setbacks, a lot of defeat. But in the process of doing that you will discover some things about yourself that you donít know right now. What you will realize is that you have greatness within you. What you will realize is that youíre more powerful than you can ever begin to imagine. What you will realize is that youíre greater than your circumstances, that you donít have to go through life being a victim." -Les Paul

4. Also... Great videos to watch before gymhqdefault (3).jpghqdefault (2).jpg

5. Well shiii can't post pics
    •   

6. Well shiiiiiii I cant delete that post I guess I can

7. Quote Originally Posted by Zombocalypse View Post
    Why do you lift?

I want you to take the question seriously and not just post half-witty one-liners. I want this to be at least somewhat profound. I expect good things from this thread...

Me, personally, I lift because I'm convinced that nothing is more awe-inspiring than lifting heavy weights. It is, to me, the purest and most savage form of manliness-display in the universe. It isn't like martial arts or warfare where you can win with cheap tactics. In weightlifting (or powerlifting), the strongest man will always win. Yes, technique is important, but not as important as raw, physical strength. You can't cheat...
    I lift because I think every person should better themselves. Why go through life never knowing your true power, capability, how much you can build yourself mentally and ol physically

8. Fun answer:
    I lift because it's a four letter word.
    I enjoy most four letter words, like word.

It's why I write too, but it's a 5 letter word so not as much.
    Much is a four letter word, so I like to lift, much.

I'm also contrarian at times as work is a four letter word.
    I'm not a fan of work. This is where 3 letter words take over and I have fun with four letter words... at work.

It's 4:25am.
    I've been up since 1:45 ish.
    Sleep. F*cking five letter words.

Time to lift.

Serious:
    I've lifted or exercised my entire life and it was natural because of the great affect it had on my body, but equally important how it made me feel mentally. When people are depressed they are told to exercise. Go for a walk every day. It clears the mind and permits a better perspective on life.

It's a gift to yourself for good health.

Seriously, I've liftedsic my entire life or exercised in one form or another and it's the best thing for one's phy
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    Follidrone 2.0 | Vector | Letrone | Rebirth | Exotherm | Nootrol | Viron | Prolactrone +
    Want to know more?

9. Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    Fun answer:

I'm not a fan of work. This is where 3 letter words take over and I have fun with four letter words... at work.

Time to lift.

Serious:
    I've lifted or exercised my entire life and it was natural because of the great affect it had on my body, but equally important how it made me feel mentally. When people are depressed they are told to exercise. Go for a walk every day. It clears the mind and permits a better perspective on life.

Seriously, I've liftedsic my entire life or exercised in one form or another and it's the best thing for one's phy
    Simple man

10. To fry my CNS. Itís a great high. Hoisting heavy $hit just feels right.
    IG: Skraw85

11. Because it is the one hour of day that I am at peace. I am not thinking about what to make for dinner, the costs of daycare, the work that is piled up on my desk, the things I need to do for my wife, etc.

12. Mental clarity.
    BioCor Nutrition - Please check our line by clicking on the product below:

Thyro-T2 Thyroid Hormone Fat Burner
    ALPHAGEN-X Thermogenic Powder

13. Keeps me regular
    -Chaos and Pain Rep -
    www.chaosandpain.com

14. My toxic combination of inferiority complex and extreme narcissism.

15. Quote Originally Posted by TheVenom View Post
    My toxic combination of inferiority complex and extreme narcissism.
    Lmao!!!

16. Quote Originally Posted by Gridles View Post
    Because it is the one hour of day that I am at peace. I am not thinking about what to make for dinner, the costs of daycare, the work that is piled up on my desk, the things I need to do for my wife, etc.
    Just realized this over the weekend, lifting is also great from a functional standpoint. Whether it is being able to bring all the groceries inside in 2 trips, carrying a couch up the stairs, or being able to carry both of my boys at once. Coming out of high school at 135 lbs I wouldn't be able to do things that I take for granted now.

My Boys.jpg

17. Quote Originally Posted by Gridles View Post
    Just realized this over the weekend, lifting is also great from a functional standpoint. Whether it is being able to bring all the groceries inside in 2 trips, carrying a couch up the stairs, or being able to carry both of my boys at once. Coming out of high school at 135 lbs I wouldn't be able to do things that I take for granted now.

My Boys.jpg
    That picture messed with me so bad. I saw a third child and couldn't figure out those perportions.
    kaos weckt das beste in uns. ruhe in frieden bruder

18. Quote Originally Posted by TheVenom View Post
    That picture messed with me so bad. I saw a third child and couldn't figure out those perportions.
    Lol

19. Its my mental therapy and I also wanna look better as I get older.

20. I started lifting because all my life I have been small. I graduated highschool weighing 125 lbs at 5'-6 1/2 -7" (depending on time of day). I was really made fun of for it and I guess I have a mental stigma about not wanting to be small. Once I actually got into lifting and stuck with it on a consistent basis, changes happened. I'm still short, can't help that, but now I'm sitting at about 185 and climbing. Goal is to reach a solid 200 with low bf before I get to be 45. Even though others say I'm not small, I still see myself as scrawny when I look in the mirror. It's the stigma thing. Lol!
    Jeremiah 29:11-14

21. Quote Originally Posted by Bintherduntht View Post
    I posted a thread similar to this.

"And here’s what I will share with you, that in the process of working on your dreams you are going to incur a lot of disappointment, a lot of failure, a lot of pain, a lot of setbacks, a lot of defeat. But in the process of doing that you will discover some things about yourself that you don’t know right now. What you will realize is that you have greatness within you. What you will realize is that you’re more powerful than you can ever begin to imagine. What you will realize is that you’re greater than your circumstances, that you don’t have to go through life being a victim." -Les Paul
    Great quote. Thanks.

22. Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    Fun answer:

Time to lift.

Serious:

Good answer.

Back then, I used to think that physical strength and overall health were mutually exclusive, until I discovered an article that links overall vitality and muscularity.

Now, my goal is to become strong today and in my golden years.

23. Quote Originally Posted by lukehayd View Post
    I started lifting because all my life I have been small. I graduated highschool weighing 125 lbs at 5'-6 1/2 -7" (depending on time of day). I was really made fun of for it and I guess I have a mental stigma about not wanting to be small. Once I actually got into lifting and stuck with it on a consistent basis, changes happened. I'm still short, can't help that, but now I'm sitting at about 185 and climbing. Goal is to reach a solid 200 with low bf before I get to be 45. Even though others say I'm not small, I still see myself as scrawny when I look in the mirror. It's the stigma thing. Lol!
    What exactly is the physique that you're aiming for?

Or perhaps it's not so much physique as it is performance? Aiming for a bigger bench press, maybe?

24. Quote Originally Posted by Zombocalypse View Post
    What exactly is the physique that you're aiming for?

Or perhaps it's not so much physique as it is performance? Aiming for a bigger bench press, maybe?
    I'm looking to be big enough to really intimidate any would-be boyfriend that comes to date my daughter. I want them to have the fear of my wrath in the front of their minds so they don't try anything with her. Lol!!
    Jeremiah 29:11-14

25. Quote Originally Posted by lukehayd View Post
    I'm looking to be big enough to really intimidate any would-be boyfriend that comes to date my daughter. I want them to have the fear of my wrath in the front of their minds so they don't try anything with her. Lol!!
    Cool.

Right now, I plan to train my lower body as an Olympic-style weightlifter while training my upper body solely for size and appearance. I'll just expect leg girth to come over time after actually strengthening my legs, functional hypertrophy or whatever you wanna call it. At the same time, I aim for an aesthetic upper body. I do plan to get huge as well, yes...

I'm excited to start lifting weights again. It's been a year since I trained...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 653
    Last Post: 12-16-2016, 02:46 PM
  2. Why do you lift?
    By FranARG in forum General Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 07:30 PM
  3. Frustrated lean bulkers: why do YOU gain fat?
    By DieTrying in forum Bulking
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
  4. Why do you even mess with Humalin R?
    By Mr.Sparkle in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-21-2006, 01:49 AM
  5. Why do you get so damn hungry on CKD?
    By windwords7 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 09:32 PM