Why do you lift?

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
Why do you lift?

I want you to take the question seriously and not just post half-witty one-liners. I want this to be at least somewhat profound. I expect good things from this thread...

Me, personally, I lift because I'm convinced that nothing is more awe-inspiring than lifting heavy weights. It is, to me, the purest and most savage form of manliness-display in the universe. It isn't like martial arts or warfare where you can win with cheap tactics. In weightlifting (or powerlifting), the strongest man will always win. Yes, technique is important, but not as important as raw, physical strength. You can't cheat...

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
So I can enjoy free pizza at Planet Fitness.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
I posted a thread similar to this.

"And here’s what I will share with you, that in the process of working on your dreams you are going to incur a lot of disappointment, a lot of failure, a lot of pain, a lot of setbacks, a lot of defeat. But in the process of doing that you will discover some things about yourself that you don’t know right now. What you will realize is that you have greatness within you. What you will realize is that you’re more powerful than you can ever begin to imagine. What you will realize is that you’re greater than your circumstances, that you don’t have to go through life being a victim." -Les Paul

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Also... Great videos to watch before gymhqdefault (3).jpghqdefault (2).jpg

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Well shiiiiiii I cant delete that post I guess I can

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Why do you lift?

I want you to take the question seriously and not just post half-witty one-liners. I want this to be at least somewhat profound. I expect good things from this thread...

Me, personally, I lift because I'm convinced that nothing is more awe-inspiring than lifting heavy weights. It is, to me, the purest and most savage form of manliness-display in the universe. It isn't like martial arts or warfare where you can win with cheap tactics. In weightlifting (or powerlifting), the strongest man will always win. Yes, technique is important, but not as important as raw, physical strength. You can't cheat...
I lift because I think every person should better themselves. Why go through life never knowing your true power, capability, how much you can build yourself mentally and ol physically

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Fun answer:
I lift because it's a four letter word.
I enjoy most four letter words, like word.

It's why I write too, but it's a 5 letter word so not as much.
Much is a four letter word, so I like to lift, much.

:)

I'm also contrarian at times as work is a four letter word.
I'm not a fan of work. This is where 3 letter words take over and I have fun with four letter words... at work.

It's 4:25am.
I've been up since 1:45 ish.
Sleep. F*cking five letter words.

Time to lift.

Serious:
I've lifted or exercised my entire life and it was natural because of the great affect it had on my body, but equally important how it made me feel mentally. When people are depressed they are told to exercise. Go for a walk every day. It clears the mind and permits a better perspective on life.

It's a gift to yourself for good health.

Seriously, I've liftedsic my entire life or exercised in one form or another and it's the best thing for one's phy

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Fun answer:

I'm not a fan of work. This is where 3 letter words take over and I have fun with four letter words... at work.

Time to lift.

Serious:
I've lifted or exercised my entire life and it was natural because of the great affect it had on my body, but equally important how it made me feel mentally. When people are depressed they are told to exercise. Go for a walk every day. It clears the mind and permits a better perspective on life.

Seriously, I've liftedsic my entire life or exercised in one form or another and it's the best thing for one's phy
Simple man

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
To fry my CNS. It’s a great high. Hoisting heavy $hit just feels right.

Gridles

Awards
  • Established
Because it is the one hour of day that I am at peace. I am not thinking about what to make for dinner, the costs of daycare, the work that is piled up on my desk, the things I need to do for my wife, etc.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My toxic combination of inferiority complex and extreme narcissism.

Gridles

Awards
  • Established
Because it is the one hour of day that I am at peace. I am not thinking about what to make for dinner, the costs of daycare, the work that is piled up on my desk, the things I need to do for my wife, etc.
Just realized this over the weekend, lifting is also great from a functional standpoint. Whether it is being able to bring all the groceries inside in 2 trips, carrying a couch up the stairs, or being able to carry both of my boys at once. Coming out of high school at 135 lbs I wouldn't be able to do things that I take for granted now.

My Boys.jpg

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Just realized this over the weekend, lifting is also great from a functional standpoint. Whether it is being able to bring all the groceries inside in 2 trips, carrying a couch up the stairs, or being able to carry both of my boys at once. Coming out of high school at 135 lbs I wouldn't be able to do things that I take for granted now.

View attachment 160756
That picture messed with me so bad. I saw a third child and couldn't figure out those perportions.

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Its my mental therapy and I also wanna look better as I get older.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I started lifting because all my life I have been small. I graduated highschool weighing 125 lbs at 5'-6 1/2 -7" (depending on time of day). I was really made fun of for it and I guess I have a mental stigma about not wanting to be small. Once I actually got into lifting and stuck with it on a consistent basis, changes happened. I'm still short, can't help that, but now I'm sitting at about 185 and climbing. Goal is to reach a solid 200 with low bf before I get to be 45. Even though others say I'm not small, I still see myself as scrawny when I look in the mirror. It's the stigma thing. Lol!

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
I posted a thread similar to this.

"And here’s what I will share with you, that in the process of working on your dreams you are going to incur a lot of disappointment, a lot of failure, a lot of pain, a lot of setbacks, a lot of defeat. But in the process of doing that you will discover some things about yourself that you don’t know right now. What you will realize is that you have greatness within you. What you will realize is that you’re more powerful than you can ever begin to imagine. What you will realize is that you’re greater than your circumstances, that you don’t have to go through life being a victim." -Les Paul
Great quote. Thanks.

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
Fun answer:

Time to lift.

Serious:

Good answer. :)

Back then, I used to think that physical strength and overall health were mutually exclusive, until I discovered an article that links overall vitality and muscularity.

Now, my goal is to become strong today and in my golden years.

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
I started lifting because all my life I have been small. I graduated highschool weighing 125 lbs at 5'-6 1/2 -7" (depending on time of day). I was really made fun of for it and I guess I have a mental stigma about not wanting to be small. Once I actually got into lifting and stuck with it on a consistent basis, changes happened. I'm still short, can't help that, but now I'm sitting at about 185 and climbing. Goal is to reach a solid 200 with low bf before I get to be 45. Even though others say I'm not small, I still see myself as scrawny when I look in the mirror. It's the stigma thing. Lol!
What exactly is the physique that you're aiming for?

Or perhaps it's not so much physique as it is performance? Aiming for a bigger bench press, maybe?

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What exactly is the physique that you're aiming for?

Or perhaps it's not so much physique as it is performance? Aiming for a bigger bench press, maybe?
I'm looking to be big enough to really intimidate any would-be boyfriend that comes to date my daughter. I want them to have the fear of my wrath in the front of their minds so they don't try anything with her. Lol!!

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
I'm looking to be big enough to really intimidate any would-be boyfriend that comes to date my daughter. I want them to have the fear of my wrath in the front of their minds so they don't try anything with her. Lol!!
Cool.

Right now, I plan to train my lower body as an Olympic-style weightlifter while training my upper body solely for size and appearance. I'll just expect leg girth to come over time after actually strengthening my legs, functional hypertrophy or whatever you wanna call it. At the same time, I aim for an aesthetic upper body. I do plan to get huge as well, yes...

I'm excited to start lifting weights again. It's been a year since I trained...

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I lift for a variety of reasons. I want the strength to make my job easier to be able to handle things other men cant if its from mental toughness or physical strength whichever. I want to be big enough for people to look twice (one of the reasons being the same as lukehayd's lol) i want to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye as well as have extreme funtional physical power. Also its my escape. Im a framer and work on a large crew of guys all day and ive got 3 kids and a pregnant wife so in between work and going home the gym is my alone time to reset and recharge. All those reasons and just because i love it

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pride, ego, mental clarity, confidence, the future, libido, the challenge, preparedness, anti aging, and motivation. No particular order

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
Pride, ego, mental clarity, confidence, the future, libido, the challenge, preparedness, anti aging, and motivation. No particular order
What did you mean by "preparedness"?

Preparedness as in you're prepared to run away from a grizzly bear with great speed thanks to your leg strength? Something like that? lol

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established

Preparedness as in you're prepared to run away from a grizzly bear with great speed thanks to your leg strength? Something like that? lol
What planet are you on good sir?

bonbon

bonbon

Awards
I lift because I like it. Another reasons, I pretty much hate all team sports and thai boxing made me look like a panda

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I said that when I look at myself in the mirror, I still think I look small but when I see pics like this, I think differently. This is Christmas at my in-laws' place. I think I must have been trying to pop my neck. ?? Lol!
15203445580041.jpg

It's pics like this that cause Studhorse and SFreed to call me fata$$.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I said that when I look at myself in the mirror, I still think I look small but when I see pics like this, I think differently. This is Christmas at my in-laws' place. I think I must have been trying to pop my neck. ?? Lol!
View attachment 161341

(Fata$$)

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 161341

Looks like good times to me! Fat A ss!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Why do you lift?

I do it because I enjoy it.
I do it because I want to build the best version of me I can.
I do it as an expression of being a human and a man, to challenge my own masculinity and remind myself I'm here to hunt and kill and survive. For the surge in testosterone, libido, and all things that remind me that I am man.
I do it to compete, to be stronger, fitter, faster than anyone else.
I do it out of vanity to be the best on the beach when I take my shirt off.
I do it for health because I do not want to struggle to lift a lawn mower, or get winded climbing stairs.
I do it for therapy because the exercise helps to calm me and gives me a place to block out real life for an hour a day
I do it because I have always been more drawn to sport than tv and video games
I do it to set an example for my son and I do it so that life is just "easier" when I'm working, hunting, hiking, swimming, or doing anything that requires me to be an actual functional human.

I think there are many reasons I do it, although I can't lie that addiction also probably plays a role now and I do not like how my mood sinks if I don't go to the gym for a week.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I need to be 100% sure that if I'm ever single again, I stand a chance against all of these guys that understand social media

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I lift so I can stay and fight vs running away

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started powerlifting after my college playing days were over. well it took a year!

My first job out of college I gained 30 lbs. In one year. A broke a ss college student with a company fridge full of pop. was drinking 6-8 mountain dews a day. Working 10-12 hrs a day. no exercise except lifting beers after work at the bar with co workers.

Got out of the shower one morning and was disgusted with what I saw in the mirror. I had always been athletic and I let myself go pretty fast.

Now I'm addicted to it and really helps with my stress levels.
Plus my wife is hot and younger than me.