Computer Wisdom Needed: Laptop Suggestions

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Let me start this off by saying I am a technological troglodyte (cave dweller, ie ignoramus). I know there are quite a few of you out there who have tremendous knowledge of computers. I want to get a laptop, and can spend about $1000. Do you have any reccommendations?

I've heard that Apple iBooks are excellent. Any truth to this? Is the different operating system (if that's what you call it) that much of a pain in the ass with regards to compatibility? I've heard one of the great things about the iBook is that there are something like 1000 times more viruses for Windows than Apple.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'll subscribe to this, B, 'cause I too am tecnically challenged. There is clearly, however, a good number of muscularly-minded dorks roaming the AM halls. (Not to smack the tech wizards here, I'm just expressing my childish jealousy). Some swear apple/MAC is vastly superior, just not as common (and perhaps as user friendly). Viruses are almost non-existent. As for standard stuff, the laptops I have liked are Dell, compaq, and currently I use a Toshiba. I will look forward to hearing from those who really know what the hell they are talking about. And also to what you finally choose (i.e. to MAC or not to MAC). How's your summer going, anyway?

hoSSo

Awards
Well it all depends, what are you going to use it for? Desktop replacement, all arround, studying, gaming ...

And if you haven't used a MAC before, lets just say it's "different" then a PC, so you'll have alot to learn and it takes some time to get used to.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm a teacher, so I make tons of powerpoints. I also use interactive sites in class sometimes. I want something I can easily hook up to a digital projector for presentation purposes.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
How's your summer going, anyway?
Summer finally came to Boston a few days ago. Friday was my Master's graduation. Now I'm teaching in the morning and bartending at night, so I am still busy as a mutha. It'll slow down in about 3 weeks, at which point I'm hoping to start the PT certification, but I don't think I'll be able to afford it this summer:(

How about you. What's on tap for the coming months?

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Try PCconnection.com. I've bought a couple laptops from them. You can compare different models side by side online. They also have some great rebates most of the time.

hoSSo

Awards
I'm a teacher, so I make tons of powerpoints. I also use interactive sites in class sometimes. I want something I can easily hook up to a digital projector for presentation purposes.
Almost all the laptops come with a RGB video port (the ones that connect to a monitor), so connecting it to a projector is not a problem.A Dell Inspiron or IBM Thinkpad are good choices for your needs, they're cheap and you really dont need anything more powerful.

Cnet has a guide for new buyers, maybe it'll be helpfull. Check it out:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7602_7-1016082-1.html?tag=dir.nbg

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input. Any thoughts on the Apple iBook?

coofoostu

Awards
IMO if you are going for a windows based os, then get a dell. Their laptops are solid and come with great warranties (although their customer service has been slacking since they moved it to india). Dell will often have blowout deals to get rid of inventory or do other things, so if you keep checking websites that point out deals such as www.slickdeals.net you can often get a good deal such as a 10%-40% off coupon. Apple notebooks are good too. If you plan on just using the basics such as ms office and browsing the internet, they are hard to beat. My parents have a mac and pc. Every time I go home i have to clear the pc of all the junk out there whereas the mac works just as good as when they purchased it. This is mainly due to the fact that adware/spyware/virii are typically not written for macs because they are such a small percent of the market. Hope that helps.

hoSSo

Awards
If you're willing to put in the effort to learn a new operating system, then it’s definitely a good buy.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Every time I go home i have to clear the pc of all the junk out there whereas the mac works just as good as when they purchased it. This is mainly due to the fact that adware/spyware/virii are typically not written for macs because they are such a small percent of the market. Hope that helps.
This seems to be my primary motivation for leaning toward the Mac.

Thanks guys.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I use a mac at work, and a PC at home. I help out with support some when it's slow. The PCs usually need cleaning off, people just click on all kinds of crap, inadvertantly download spy/ad ware, etc. The only time we have problems with the macs is with fonts. Art directors like to have 600 fonts installed, OS X doesn't.

For what you need, Beowulf, the iBook will work, and it will be easy to use. Most of the issues I've helped friends/relatives with in the past couple of years have strictly been adware/virii - issues that would not have been if they had macs. Gaming on the mac is a little behind, and there are plenty of programs that are PC only, but for the most part what you need would be there. Office runs very well on OS X. Networking and WiFi is easy in OS X. You may have a little more trouble setting up DSL or cable on a mac, (most ISPs are lacking in mac support) but once it's setup, you're fine.

Find an apple store or a comp. store with macs, and spend a little time playing around with one. The biggest drawback I can think of with macs is the price. They're definitely more expensive than PCs. For a given price, a PC will almost always be faster, even if you go with a premium brand like IBM. Then again, if you're mainly running office and tooling around online, you likely wouldn't notice the difference in CPU speed.

Can you get an educational discount? I'm sure you could for software, maybe you can with hardware too? Here's Apple's education link: http://www.apple.com/education/store

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
definitely see if you can play around with a mac for a while to see if you like its interface.
Best PC for under a grand is a dell 600m notebook. see it for yourself in a store and determine if that is the right size for you (it's incredibly small, for an awesome price). if you are going to be carrying around a laptop you want it to be ULTRA light, because 7lbs is a lot heavier than it seems.

For a pc, go for a mobile processor, as they use less power than standard cpu's. the pentium-m's 1.3ghz are said (by intel) to perform better than a 2ghz processor. so that's why when (by the theories of brotelligence) it seems like pentium m's are half as fast, they're really not.

mac's are more expensive- in my opinion, not worth it. I'd rather have a pc with more power for less money. you're a smart guy, its not THAT hard to run spybot search and destroy once a week...

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I bought a Dell 6000 in March... and absolutely LOVE IT!

Check here http://www.techbargains.com/ daily for Dell deals.. I got a $750off $1999+ coupon
and got every bell and whistle possible :D

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
You guys are the ****. (That is a good thing where I come from:) )

INTV and Cable626, excellent detailed suggestions. This is exactly the type of input I was looking for. If rep was worth something I'd rep you both up. I will go play around with a mac and see what I think.

I have tended to fear those spybot things b/c I've heard that some of them are just spyware in disguise. Do you have to pay for them? Any reccomendations?

</js>

Awards
I run a thinkpad t41p, with Xp, Fedora Core Linux and Novell's Linux Desktop and it's is flawless. I have run every type of notebook from every major vendor, no beats a Thinkpad, IMHO.

TrainTilUDrop

Awards
Cyber Power Inc. makes pretty good laptops. I have always been a fan of custom built pc's and laptops because you aren't paying extra for the advertising and hell in my opinion they look a lot better.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
a lot of diesel geeks walking around these days, huh...? lol

tattoopierced1

HP makes a pretty decent laptop for under $1000 that I've seen in local ads. I forget the model number, but it was an AMD processor 2400 I believe, with 512mb RAM with wireless. Not a bad price if you ask me...just keep an eye peeled in the ads.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I ran spybot and spywareblaster for about 2 years... very good proggies...

However about 6 months ago the kids got something on their comp that not even
renaming the file(in safe mode), deleting the file and editing the registry would fix... every time
the file would put itself back in the startup folder... spybot..adaware ect... nothing

Then I tried Spysubtract Pro and viola it was gone...
it is a pay proggie but if you wait for a week or so into the 30 day trial they offer it for half price $14.95

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Awesome deal EE, but I won't have the funds together for a few weeks.:frustrate

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
No sweat! Keep your eye on the 2 sites Dell does this all the time :D

foo.c

Board Supporter
Awards
I bought an Inspiron 1100 from Dell a little over a year ago for $700. I bought 1 GB of RAM for it from newegg and it's been a really rock solid machine.

Yeah, it's ugly and heavy, but it works and it was cheap.

The 12" iBook is also a really nice machine. I wouldn't buy a Mac right now though until they make the switch to x86.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The 12" iBook is also a really nice machine. I wouldn't buy a Mac right now though until they make the switch to x86.
Any chance you can clarify what an x86 means?

foo.c

Board Supporter
Awards
Any chance you can clarify what an x86 means?
Right now Macs use processors made by IBM and Freescale. (PPC)

They're switching to processors made by Intel next year. (x86)

If you plan on keeping it a long time, it probably doesn't matter, but if not I think it might impact the value of Macs bought right now. The flipside is if you wait a while it wouldn't surprise if me if the price of new PPC Macs drops a lot as Apple tries to clear out inventory.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I'd probably analyze what you want here. List it out...

1. What do you want to spend?

2. Do you want constant maintenance?

3. What do you want to do with it? If it's graphics, etc, you'll be paying more as a higher end video card for a laptop will push the price up.

4. Does it need to be light?

5. What if it breaks???? Warrantly, you'll pay for this as well. Don't go less than a 3 year warranty (probably buying new in this case).

6. How long do you expect to have this machine? When will you buy another one? Keep this in mind as you might want to spend more if you want this machine for more than 2 years.

Major price factors:

Screen size and resolution (largest cost is right here, bar none)
Warranty
Processor
Video Card
Mac vs. PC (macs are higher, period)

Dell makes a VERY solid laptop at a very reasonable price. They are known for top quality customer service, though in the past year or two they've pushed much of their support oversees and it's not as good as it was.

IBM thinkpads are sensational laptops but are spendy. They work, they're reliable, they're time tested, but they're spendy.

Macs are sensational tools but are again spendy. They're reliable, not as suseptible to viruses, spyware, etc, and thusly easier to just use with less maintanence. This is nice. They are also spendy... did I mention this?

IF cost is an issue, and you want new... get a Dell, don't pass go...

IF cost is an issue and you want to go used, there are various places to find good deals, but you run the risk of not having a warranty or not having a long warranty and who knows. If you're PC/laptop savvy, this isn't as much of an issue and you can get by much easier.

If you want some more help or opinions, you can ALWAYS hit me up on MSN or AIM... "[email protected]" for MSN or aim is "penguit"

I'd be glad to take some time and we can find something that'll fit.

Later bro!

FYI -- I'm a senior network admin who's been in the computer industry for 9 years, since I was 18. I've done hardware for many years, and have worked with most laptops, desktops around. I've built hundreds, bordering on 1000 of machines from the ground up. Just so ya know, I've got some experience... ****, I don't know it all though, that's for damn sure :) And yeah, everybody has their own opinions. There are safe bets or you can gamble. Depends what you want to spend, and what you want to gamble on.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, thanks for taking so much time to help me get a handle on this purchase. Yet another example of this board being a stellar community. I will probably hit you up with an email in a couple of weeks when I approach purchase time.

Again, I can't say thank you enough to all the people who have taken the time to help me out in this thread. :thumbsup:

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Dell makes a VERY solid laptop at a very reasonable price. They are known for top quality customer service, though in the past year or two they've pushed much of their support oversees and it's not as good as it was.
I'm going to have to disagree with you about Dell because a lot of the guys who had Dells in the dorms last year had problems with them (of course it could be the user) and I was sitting pretty with my Vaio. Also, my roomate has a Dell desktop and it is basically a piece of ****.

As for the IBMs I agree and also Toshibas are pretty good.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
This is pretty subjective. Some of the newer Dell models we've had some bad luck with. Our Inspiron 1100s have died left and right, while some have been stable and just go go go. Yearly ratings have Dell on top still as far as overall quality but who knows. I don't know how they get their rankings or numbers. Based on price for performance, it is hard to beat a Dell laptop in my experience.

Toshibas have been solid for me as well. I'd rate them highly as well as I believe they use solid hardware.

I'm going to have to disagree with you about Dell because a lot of the guys who had Dells in the dorms last year had problems with them (of course it could be the user) and I was sitting pretty with my Vaio. Also, my roomate has a Dell desktop and it is basically a piece of ****.

As for the IBMs I agree and also Toshibas are pretty good.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
This is one area I consider myself knowledgeable in, so why not lend a hand. You guys have helped me out so much with other subjects that I should help out anyway I can here.

There are always options and lots of opinions with computers. First just figure out what you need and want and what you can spend. Most likely you'll be spending more than you originally thought. From there you can really get into your options and you'll find yourself trying to figure out where you're most flexible. Is it worth $150 to give up reliability? Perhaps... depends on the person...

Awesome, thanks for taking so much time to help me get a handle on this purchase. Yet another example of this board being a stellar community. I will probably hit you up with an email in a couple of weeks when I approach purchase time.

Again, I can't say thank you enough to all the people who have taken the time to help me out in this thread. :thumbsup:

coofoostu

Awards
It looks like apple wont release any software for x86 at least a year from now, so imo if you want to get a mac now is the perfect time to get one. It says their transition wont be complete till 2 years from now, and you can bet it will probably be buggy in the early stages.

BigSwede

Awards
This transition to x86 is going to be a massive headache for all involved. Going from RISC to CISC means massive amount of code will need to be reworked. No longer will we have backward compatability. Bad move, Apple.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
A lot of people covered the hardware aspects of PC vs Mac already, so I'll just generalize a few other things to consider if you're still flip-flopping between the 2:

Mac's hardware is more expensive, and their software is more expensive. On the flipside, there are less headaches with Mac's in general (things work they way they're supposed to).

-------------------------------------------------------
PC's (Intel/AMD chips) - LOTS of software, HUGE userbase.

PRO - save money and "borrow" your friend's games/applications. Or be legal, and download the plethera of freeware software out there. More users means more software out there, and more "freely" available.

CON - more viruses, spyware, etc. Basically more everything (except video-editing software)
-------------------------------------------------------

Mac's - less software, smaller userbase

PRO - Less opportunity to acquire illegally copied software means you're a good law-abiding citizen. Plus, there's less chance of downloading "fake" software that turns into something you weren't expecting.

And less virus, spyware - because since the userbase is that much smaller, there's less targets.

(It's not that Mac's or Linux is any better at virus protection, is just that fewer people use it, so there's less potential victems. Think of it like your chances of getting an STD from a fat chick vs a hot chick. Fat chicks (Mac's) can still get viruses, but since more sexual activity increases their risk, hot chicks (PC's/IBM's) are more likely to have viruses. No offense to those guys who like their chicks thick, or to any females out there.

(Ok, let's be honest, when you preface it with 'no offence', that means someone is going to be offended. I'm just trying to use an analogy. A better one would have been that it's easier to get parts for a Pontiace Sunbird than it is for a Volvo - but you can theoretically get parts for both)

NOTE: Chicks dig Mac's more than PC's. Mac's have more "style". Some chicks also don't like being called chicks, but I'll leave that for a different thread.

CON - That cool game/app that your friends are using won't work on your computer - and it never will come out for Mac's either.
--------------------------------------------------------

My advice - be honest with yourself in what you want to do with your computer. You will use it for surfing and email, but probably not accounting your household expenses. Do you want to watch movies on it? Will you want to play games on it? (note: game computers ARE a $$$ sink. You may want to just get a console)

I'm a software developer during the day, and we use PC's at work. I also play the occasional games, and don't have a lot of money to test out different software with. So I have a PC at home.

BUT - for the computer illiterate, who won't know/care that his computer isn't as "fast" as the next guys, and just likes it to work as is, the Mac may be the better choice. Mac's also look cooler, and don't have the "geek" stigma attached to them.

Your best bet may be to buy used from some "power-user" who always has to have the latest and greatest. Buying new hardware just hurts because they depreciate in days, not years.

Surfing, emailing, Powerpointing and even downloading p0rn isn't really all that affected by the speed of your CPU. So you can save yourself some $$$ by not getting the latest and greatest.

Bear in mind with laptops though, that you're pretty much stuck with what you buy up front. (Memory, CPU, display, DVD burner, etc). You CAN upgrade most of these things, but you WON'T due to the insane cost vs what a desktop upgrade will be. So make sure you're happy with what you're buying if you're getting a laptop, and don't plan on upgrading - even if that will cost you more at the start.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Great, informative post Sunder. Those analogies really helped me get a grasp on the Mac/PC comparison :thumbsup:

I don't play any games, and I doubt I will ever start, so that isn't an issue. I want to be able to play movies so that I can easily hook it up to a digital projector in class. I do want a DVD burner b/c I think I can use it as a disk and save documents on it. I've never downloaded a single song online.

Obviously I'm not a great source of comp. info, but I've heard that MAC's actually do have a better security system. THis is one of my main concerns, as my computer contracted a virus that removed Microsoft Office along with 18months of graduate work from my computer. I do not want that to happen again.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I've heard that MAC's actually do have a better security system. THis is one of my main concerns, as my computer contracted a virus that removed Microsoft Office along with 18months of graduate work from my computer. I do not want that to happen again.
Although some people may argue it, I would tend to lean towards saying that Mac's do have a better security system from a technical standpoint, especially since their new OS is based off of UNIX.

Bear in mind, no system is 100% secure or safe. There are "better" car alarms out there, and they may deter beginner thieves, but there isn't a car alarm made that can stop a smart thief.

BUT - if most thief's tools are made to only work on American cars (since say 90% of cars out there are American), you'd be safer with a car made in Sweden. Spending all that time to make "Swedish" tools is a waste of time since there are so few of them out there to bother with.

18 months worth of graduate studies lost - ouch. That, along with securty being you #1 concern, and me thinking that you don't want to be spending a lot of time "fixing" your computer - I'd be leaning towards a Mac.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt any newish Mac laptop out there cannot connect to a projector. Check for an S-Video connector to hook up the laptop to your TV to watch movies (or whatever connector your tv has). They do make widescreen laptops too if you just want to watch it on the comp. I'd also try to get a dual-layer DVD burner, even if you only burn on single layer at the moment. You can buy a re-recordable DVD, and backup your thesis on a regular basis.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would've died. 18 months of work down the drain!
i don't care if you have a mac or pc, backup, backup, backup! i wouldn't wish that on my enemy. thankfully i never experienced that. (a $30 usb thumb drive seems like a good investment now, doesn't it!?)