Got my ass whupped!!

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's right, I went for a long overdue deep tissue massage.. :thumbsup:

Right now, I feel like I did a full-body workout lifting 90% of my max on everything.. I'm just taking down a gallon of water (helps release toxins the massage broke out), and relaxing.. I plan to get one at least once a month, worked wonders for my scarred up delts and quads.. ;)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
How much does it cost on average? Sounds like my idea of fun. :)

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Mine costs me about 70 dollars for an hour of work.. she will only do an hour at a time though..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Mine runs about $90 but he'll go until his knuckles can't take it anymore..usually 90-100 minutes.

When I get worked on my face gets all numb and tingles to the point I can hardly move my lips to talk. So many toxins get released it's freaky. I've heard if it were possible to deep tissue treat all of your muscles in one session that you could die from the toxin release. Not sure I believe that but a numb head is a sign of something.

I am waaaay overdue for one. Gonna get worked on before I start lifting regularly/bulking in the fall. Makes a big difference on my lifts and sleep pattern.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I think I might call and set one up.. thanks for reminding me Pete

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Its not what you know, its who you know. :thumbsup: I pay $25/hr

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
I agree with the deep tissue massage. Very nice. Check into some of the schools in your area as they will be cheap...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I definitely need some deep tissue action...

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Mine was $75, he does more than deep tissue and that's the price for any work needed.. If anyone is in the Cambridge Ma. area, look up nolanwatts.com. :thumbsup:

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
great to see the support for deep-tissue work around here (since that's what I do)!

Pete - you already know this, I'm sure - some gentle range-of-motion stretching will really promote the flushing / removal of the released waste products.

MatthewD - more than an hour is rare: it's physically very hard to do bodywork - especially on a person w/ a well-developed musculature. One of the things that got me into serious lifting was the need to be strong enough to do a full day's work without ruining myself! One of the reasons leverage is so important.

BioMan - $90??? Maybe I need to move: too many MTs around here, even w/ my 30+ years.... What part of the country are you in? Yeah, it's not so much the toxins as it is the effect on the nervous system: *too* much work can cause a person to go into tetany (as in tetanus - full-body muscle lock!).... That's why an MT or other bodyworker won't dig into *everything* in one session.

A note on getting student work (in or out of a school clinic): deep-tissue is powerful and can injure if the practitioner isn't well-trained and supervised, so be careful - and don't ask for too much! My right shoulder got fucked initially in a motorcycle accident, but I asked a student to dig into it during a final evaluation (a hands-on final exam) - it felt great, so my attention wandered...until my arm fell out of my shoulder! Took me years of re-training (and literally dozens of re-injuries) to repair the damage & make my shoulder functional again.

Not trying to scare anyone away, here - just be careful, just like you were choosing a coach, a spotter or a mechanic (in a sense, you're doing all 3).

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, this has me looking at my health more closely.. I plan to get monthly deep-tissue treatments, and get a kit for full-body detox, like CleanseSmart or HeavyMetal Cleanse by Renew Life.. I still feel beat up, but I'm sure a workout would help that.. ;)

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Mine was $75, he does more than deep tissue and that's the price for any work needed.. :thumbsup:

Bro - I'm not sure if you should have mentioned the happy finish.....people may get the wrong idea :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :rofl:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
LOl, no happy ending for me. My guy brutalizes me..it's the worst pain I've really been in and you have to lay there and "relax" your muscles and let him gouge into you. Woo..sinuses are opening up just thinking about it. lol

BODY- I live in Sedona, a resort town so everything is expensive. To his credit my MT does more than deep tissue, he studied under Ida Rolf's daughter, knows chiropracty inside and out and saved me from shoulder surgery so I consider him worth the price. Plus he'll spend up to 2-3 hours working on me and he doesn't quit until he feels we've worked out a complete muscle group. A lot of MT's set an egg timer and when it dings they're outta there. lol

Detoxing is good..especially for bbers. IMO All the extra mass under stress is putting out massive amounts of cellular wastes.