Grilling-smoking on gas grill?

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
OK I have a pretty good gas grill, and of course a charcoal one. I was trying to figure out how to smoke something on a gas grill. I thought I would just wrap some soaked chips in foil..but where do you put them?

Also if anyone has any good recipes..i know theres a bunch of you back woods folks on here..so shout out some recipes :thumbsup:

Grilling is the ****...today I will attempt slow roasted pork..I haven't tried smoking anything yet, but hopefully i will this saturday.

h19

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Set your grill to the lowest heat setting, use a hickory smoke box in the grill.Make sure you soak the wood chips in water first otherwise they will burn too quickly.After about a few hours you should be in good shape...

Check this link for smoke box..

http://www.gasgrillguy.com/stainsteelsm.html

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
Or you can just use foil it works perfectly well soak em i say for 5-15 mins then
wrap them in double foil and poke holes in top then stick it right on the flame
cheap and easy way. My smoker box takes to long to heat up so i went back to
foil. Then try all your different woods. Miskit (Sp) hick pecan find what give you
the best flavor. I smoke my thin steaks and after i put in tupparware and still
smells up my fridge with smoke smell YUM!

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
yeah i was looking at smoke boxes, but its actually NOT my grill..im moving out of the parents next week, so im not getting that yet.

foil is what i wanted. So you can just drop it right on the burner? Or on top of the rack?

High heat..low heat? I guess i will mess with it to find what works best. I did slow roast some pork yesterday with a rub that i came up with..good ****.

I'd like to try cherry and apple wood.

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
Just depends how fast you want to cook your meat whether you want to actually smoke it or cook reasonably fast but with the smokey taste.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
From what I know, if its a fast cooking meat, no point in really trying to smoke with wood chips.

The only thing I would smoke would be, ribs, pork butt, briskett, roasting chickens, things i could cook for at least 1.5 hrs. Last night i cooked some pork, but it was too small. I used indirect heat with a nice rub.

I need to find a good pork butt, so i can make some pulled pork. Pork is good, nice break from the standard shitty chicken breast.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
why are you playing with pigs butts and grabing chicken breast? you need a woman fast!

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
smoked brisket is bangin' With these cuts your talking about, you might wanna only eat this stuff once in a while due to the high sat fat content. Pulled pork, sooooo bangin'

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
why are you playing with pigs butts and grabing chicken breast? you need a woman fast!

you got me there! This is why i am going on my final cutting cycle, and doing cardio like its fun!

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
smoked brisket is bangin' With these cuts your talking about, you might wanna only eat this stuff once in a while due to the high sat fat content. Pulled pork, sooooo bangin'
yeah i wouldn't make it a habit, if anything I would make a brisket or pork and eat it throughout the week for lunches. like 4oz or something a sitting. Not going to eat the whole thing. lol

I have never made either though, i am good at cooking indoors/outdoors, and really enjoy grilling, but haven't ever had the chance to get into the GOOD CUTS if u know what i mean. NOt even sure where to get brisket or pork butt aorund where i live. I want to smoke a turkey breast though. If I could do that, smoke like 2 on a sunday. I would eat great all week man.

h19