What made you compete in your first show?

  1. What made you compete in your first show?


    For all those who compete in BB contests, what made you go from doing it for recreation, to taking it to the next level? I have been thinking about this topic alot lately, and wondered what made people really decide they wanted to step on stage, and how you knew you were physically ready to start contest prep?

    Personally i am thinking about after this bulk, i want to prep like i am getting ready for a show just to see what you guys go through. I think it will be a good experience for me, and will also give me a good chance to see how low i can get my bf%, and how mentally draining it is.. I don't think i could ever step on stage, due to my shy personality, but i am also a LONG ways off from what i consider to be contest potential..

  2. ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday
    ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday's Avatar

    I would love to be ready for the stage but I can never get my cut right, but I am incorportating help this time! I personally have always wanted to do it because I am in love with bodybuilding and the bodybuilding lifestyle....I have a bunch of bodybuilding DVD's, I have STACKS of magazines that I can't seem to stop buying even though I should, and I am always logged on the AM.com...etc.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by MaNiaK1027
    I would love to be ready for the stage but I can never get my cut right, but I am incorportating help this time! I personally have always wanted to do it because I am in love with bodybuilding and the bodybuilding lifestyle....I have a bunch of bodybuilding DVD's, I have STACKS of magazines that I can't seem to stop buying even though I should, and I am always logged on the AM.com...etc.
    I agree, that i what i was getting at.. I love revolving my whole life around training/bb'ng. I feel like after i bulk i want to go through what one would go through on contest prep just to see how far i can push myself.. Kinda like competing against myself. Like i said i doubt i could ever step on stage becasue i don't like being in crowds let alone being in front of a bunch of people while being ripped apart by judges..

    After i get to 200-210 i am going to have Bobo really give me hell and train me as if i was getting ready for a show.. I feel if peak physical condition is reached for a show, then why would i not want to train myself like that, and be in that condition..

    I definetly give all you guys who step up there on stage tons of credit, props to you!
    •   
       


  4. Well.....I had nothing else going on so I just thought "WTF....I may as well try it!" I don't like crowds either but when you're that depleted you don't really give a **** if you're standing in front of a thousand people in nothing but a fig leaf. It's not as bad as you think. If you are contemplating it, why not just give it a try? The experience is well worth it and the education that you will receive is like none other.

  5. I often thought about competing too. I think, mentally, it would be one of the hardest things that I could ever do. I hate dieting and truthfully I've never attempted to "cut up". I wouldn't even know where to begin. Besides, bulking is just way too fun.

  6. Evry year since I have been in the BB lifestyle 4 now I try and do at least a 12 week cutter. I have finally figured out what my body needs to get low body fat. Last Spring I got down to 11% and this year I am already at 10~9% and I still have about 6 more weeks. Thing that really holds me back is my loose skin from where I had over a 50 inch waist about 5 years ago. Oh well I will never forget my dream until it is realized

  7. well you get to a point where you are living this lifestyle and figure i might as well actually have something to show for it .. i had always talked about competing and decided it was time to .. plus my friends were always hounding me/making fun of me about it so i figured i would actual compete to give them more fodder to make fun of me with

  8. Quote Originally Posted by SJA
    If you are contemplating it, why not just give it a try?
    I am not really contemplating it since i know i am no where near the size i would need to be to compete. I am just intrigued by the dedication it takes t diet down, and that is what i wouldnt mind trying one day..

    I am just wondering when you guys knew you were physically ready to begin contest prep.

    Glen- How long ago did you make the decision? Did you do your last bulker in order to pack on size for the show, or did you make the decision after that?

  9. You really don't have to be huge to compete on a local level, unless you are a ripped 215.. Find out the weight classes, you might end up in middleweight or light-heavy, never know.. It's not like your first show will be filled with Dexter Jackson clones..

  10. Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    You really don't have to be huge to compete on a local level, unless you are a ripped 215.. Find out the weight classes, you might end up in middleweight or light-heavy, never know.. It's not like your first show will be filled with Dexter Jackson clones..
    haha i know but being like 5'10 185@12-13%bf to compete i would need to be 160 prob so i would be way too small. i need to get up to like 215-220 and come down to like 185-190 to look half way decent..
  11. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6
    haha i know but being like 5'10 185@12-13%bf to compete i would need to be 160 prob so i would be way too small.
    I don't believe that to be entirely correct. It is quality over quantity. At 185/12% you have 163lb LBM. At 170lbs and 163lbs LBM you would be at 4.1%bf. Fairly ripped.

    I have not considered competing, but as we speak am giving it a whole hearted attemp to be at a point to where I 'could possibly' if I wanted to (or pressed on just a bit more if I felt there were a chance). The problem I am having psychologically is that extreme leaness exposes the weaknessess in physique that were once unexposed. I compete with me...and I have gone undefeated thusfar.

    Never sell yourself short.
    Last edited by David Dunn; 05-17-2005 at 02:55 PM.
    We live in a time where our planet suffers from two epidemics simultaneously - starvation and obesity.

    Look at all these little kids taking care of the music biz, don't their business take good care of me.

    I have the fire, I have the force, I have the power to make my evil take it's course.

  12. I think I would like to compete someday, maybe in about 2 years. For now, I don't have anywhere near the size I need. We'll see what happens after I finish cutting, and then bulking with Bobo.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I think I would like to compete someday, maybe in about 2 years. For now, I don't have anywhere near the size I need. We'll see what happens after I finish cutting, and then bulking with Bobo.
    Yup that is how i feel also.. I dont feel i have the development to even consider it for a few years.. But again even if i did, i doubt i would ever be able to get up there..

  14. Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6
    Yup that is how i feel also.. I dont feel i have the development to even consider it for a few years.. But again even if i did, i doubt i would ever be able to get up there..
    All you really need to worry about on an amateur/local level is condition.. The only time there are mass monsters is in the light-heavy or heavyweight classes.. Trust me, I didn't think I had what it took, until I kept getting top 5 trophies..

    Worrying about size makes it less of a fun experience, and more like living in hell, I felt that way and that's why I don't ever plan to compete again.. Self-doubt kills the buzz, brother..

  15. Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    All you really need to worry about on an amateur/local level is condition.. The only time there are mass monsters is in the light-heavy or heavyweight classes.. Trust me, I didn't think I had what it took, until I kept getting top 5 trophies..

    Worrying about size makes it less of a fun experience, and more like living in hell, I felt that way and that's why I don't ever plan to compete again.. Self-doubt kills the buzz, brother..
    Thanks fror the inspiration.. I guess my head is ****ed up becasue the people i was friend with back in NY who competed where absolute monsters. One kid being 17 and competing at 205, and looking absolutly amazing..

    We will see, Mabey if i do one mock contest prep see how good i could look, or where my weak points are i could get motivated to compete for real.

  16. That's true. Amatuer shows have weight classes so it's not like you have to compete against ripped 230 super heavyweights. Come in full and in great condition and you should do well. I suggest that you maybe simulate what it would be like to get ready for a show to see how well your body responds to certain things (food, training, etc). Once you get your BF down you can really see you strengths and weaknesses. From there you know what to improve and what it takes to get to that point. Don't expect to win your first show. In fact, a friend of mine is a top NPC competitor. He's done well in the past, but it's taken 10 plus shows for him to finally have a legitamit(sp) shot at Mr. South Carolina.
  17. Petie


    So well stated:

    All you really need to worry about on an amateur/local level is condition.. The only time there are mass monsters is in the light-heavy or heavyweight classes.. Trust me, I didn't think I had what it took, until I kept getting top 5 trophies..

    Worrying about size makes it less of a fun experience, and more like living in hell, I felt that way and that's why I don't ever plan to compete again.. Self-doubt kills the buzz, brother..
    __________________
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html

  18. I just got into it to be a porn star. Might as well get paid a couple of different ways.

  19. Mine was a little different...I got into powerlifting....I just love it when someone says I cant do something......So I did.........Held the state record in deads to heheheheh

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs
    I just got into it to be a porn star. Might as well get paid a couple of different ways.
    You know, that's a cheap way to meet men for sex on camera..

  21. Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    You know, that's a cheap way to meet men for sex on camera..
    I find no humor in that remark...feather boa dude!

    Actually, after I posted that, it dawned on me that someone would make a remark like that. I was going to edit it, but thought...ahh what the hell, let's see...LOL!

  22. I would love to be ready for the stage but I can never get my cut right, but I am incorportating help this time! I personally have always wanted to do it because I am in love with bodybuilding and the bodybuilding lifestyle....I have a bunch of bodybuilding DVD's, I have STACKS of magazines that I can't seem to stop buying even though I should, and I am always logged on the AM.com...etc
    If you're having trouble with a cut - you've gotta check out Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. Even though it seems like I already new most of the principles he talks about - he really puts it all together and shows you how to get wicked lean the right way.

    I'd like to do a show someday...maybe in a few years when my life ain't so damn busy!

  23. I would like to compete in the future. I love to bodybuild and develope the muscle. Right now im trying to get lean for a while. If I could gain another 10 pounds in a year or so of lean mass I would like to give it a shot.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What do you put in your shake on a cutting diet?
    By AtomicFox in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 11:39 PM
  2. What do you do in your free time?
    By jumpshot903 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 08:36 PM
  3. Replies: 80
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 03:03 AM
  5. What would you want in your gym?
    By jjb81speed in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Log in
Log in