Old School Metal

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I in no way am trying to be a dick, but I just heard one of there songs from there newest album.....dude, they suck imo, they have always sucked. I never really understood why people liked them. No personal attack, just my person opinion about the band.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I respect your right to express your opinion.

Some people like chocolate and others like vanilla. But it is not nice to say that strawberry sucks.

It really is OK to say nothing when you have nothing nice to say.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm just shy of 40yrs old. I am slanted towards 80's metal hair bands. But I cut my teeth on Zep, then Kiss, VH, JP, IM, etc. I have not invested in music in many many years. Something about a mortgage and 3 kids that repriorotizes your money. I like a bunch of the new metal out there but only get exposed to it by the repetitious onslaught that is heard on your favorite FM station.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
take a look at the "new wave of american metal" thread if your looking for newer stuff. If you like old school stuff with a newer twist check out Nevermore and Iced Earth.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks. Been there and done that. This is the "Old School Metal" thread. Intended to discuss old school metal. I enjoy all kinds of music, but enjoy reminiscing and discussing with my fellow "Old School Metal" senior citizens on the boards as well.

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I like VH too. But only with David Lee Roth...not with Haggar (sp?). You left out AC/DC? What about Motly Crew's Shout at the Devil? This was the first album I bought with my own money that was "Heavy Metal", my mother alomst died when she saw the title. :) First Heavy Metal exp. was KISS. Damn I miss the old days..:(

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I'm not a senior citizen yet, and neither are you Brian.

But I dig the 80's hair bands. I can listen to that stuff all day, along with any hard metal.

Just an opinion from a younger generation.

M

Methyl1

Awards
Hell yeah, now we can get a thread about some real motherfucking metal!!! not some bullshit heavy ass lame riffs and growling and yelling that is the epitomy of the metal today, RAISE YOUR FISTS AND SAY HELL MOTHAFUCKING YEAAHHHH!!!!!!

Now lets get started. My favs are:

King Diamond I own all of his albums
Mercyful Fate
Judas Priest : Own all the 80's and late 70's albums
Loudness
RATT
Dokken
Metal Church
Testament
Accept
Scorpions
Quiet Riot
Metallica
Dio

Alice Coopers Raise your fist and Yell!
Lion
Ozzy Ozbourne and the list goes on!!!!!! LONG LIVE MOTHAFUCKING 80'S METAL!!!!

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Iron Maiden and all of Bruce Dickinson's solo stuff.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Did somebody say King Diamond but leave out Mercyful Fate? :p No....

G

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
take a look at the "new wave of american metal" thread if your looking for newer stuff. If you like old school stuff with a newer twist check out Nevermore and Iced Earth.
Iced Earth kicks ass. I would leave Horror Show in my truck's cd player for weeks.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
MotorHead
Accept
Quit Riot
Motley Crue
Twisted Sister
Triumph
Scorpions
UFO
MSG
Y. Malmstein
Rainbow
Dio
Sabbath w/Dio
Dokken
Whitesnake
White Lion
Poison
Cinderella
Ratt
BonJovi
Y&T
Lita Ford
DefLeppard
Slaughter
Skid Row
Great White
Extreme
Tesla
GnR

Just off the top of my head

Last edited:
M

Methyl1

Awards
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
MotorHead
Accept
Quit Riot
Motley Crue
Twisted Sister
Triumph
Scorpions
UFO
MSG
Y. Malmstein
Rainbow
Dio
Sabbath w/Dio
Dokken
Whitesnake
White Lion
Poison
Cinderella
Ratt
BonJovi
Y&T
Lita Ford
DefLeppard
Slaughter
Skid Row
Great White
Extreme
Tesla
GnR

Thats a bad ass list bro!

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Every one of those bands above can play rings around todays so called "talent".

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
MotorHead
Accept
Quit Riot
Motley Crue
Twisted Sister
Triumph
Scorpions
UFO
MSG
Y. Malmstein
Rainbow
Dio
Sabbath w/Dio
Dokken
Whitesnake
White Lion
Poison
Cinderella
Ratt
BonJovi
Y&T
Lita Ford
DefLeppard
Slaughter
Skid Row
Great White
Extreme
Tesla
GnR

Vandenburg
Bullet Boys
LA Guns
Faster Pussycat
T-N-T
Firehouse
Queensryche
Knight Ranger
Fastway
Saxon

M

Methyl1

Awards
The thing is they had such great technical guitarists back then, playing the classical and pentatonics in the harmonic minor scales. I loved the guitar wizardry that was so rampant back then during the solo's, some amazing players indeed. Glen Tipton and KK Downing were the guitarists for Judas priest, a bad ass duo for sure. Listen to the album Defenders of the Faith 1984, Rock Hard ride Free and The Sentinel Showcase thier dual solo skills.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glen Tipton and KK Downing were the guitarists for Judas priest, a bad ass duo for sure. Listen to the album Defenders of the Faith 1984, Rock Hard ride Free and The Sentinel Showcase thier dual solo skills.
Not to mention likely one of THE MAJOR influences of the young metal players of today. The dual solo's were spectacular then and still are today. Sure, there maybe more 'talented individuals' but their complemntary style and techniques is unmatched.

M

Methyl1

Awards
Not to mention likely one of THE MAJOR influences of the young metal players of today. The dual solo's were spectacular then and still are today. Sure, there maybe more 'talented individuals' but their complemntary style and techniques is unmatched.
Yup, that is correct. I have pit tickets for me and my bro for Judas Priest and Queensryche concert on June 26! Cant wait, its going to be sweet. Im seeing King Diamond May 17th next week, then me and the bro are going to catch Def Leppard and Bryan Adams Jun 11th and then Priest and Queensryche Jun 26th! Then its going to be OzzFest 8/26.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Black Sabbath (any Ozzy really)
Motley crue
Def leopard
METALLICA!!!
Megadeth
AC/DC
whitesnake
Scorpions
Suicidal Tendencies
Faith No More

***will post more as I think of them.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I am a big fan of old school megadeth ( I love the guitar playing on goodmorning/ black friday), metallica's first 4 albums, and some anthrax.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Aerosmith- Train kept a Rolling
Deep Purple- Lazy!!!
Hagar- There is only one way to ROCK
Heart-Barracuda
Foghat- Slow Ride
Cooper- Be my lover
Thorogood- Ride on Josephine
Kinks- Juke Box mUSIC
Scorpions-The Zoo
Tull- Locomotive Breath
Bad Company- Rock n Roll Fantasy
Three Dog Night-Never been to Spain
Ozzy_ Crazy Train

That was today WO list :twisted:

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hey you guys that love Van Halen. Which albums did david lee roth put out, and which ones did sammy hagar put out? I can dig VH, but don't really know the history of them. What year did DLR leave VH and why?

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
My favorite Old school album is...

Sabbath- Sabatoge

P

PastorofMuppets

Awards
What about PANTERA bitches!?!?!?!

Vulgar Display of Power is a preworkout staple of mine. :)

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
David Lee Roth Van Halen:

All of these have been re-released, remastered on High-Definition CD(well worth it)

Van Halen I
Van Halen II
Women & Children First
Fair Warning
Diver Down

Sammy Hagar Van Halen:

All of these are soon to be re-released, remastered on High-Definition CD

OU812
F.U.C.K.(For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge)
Right Here, Right Now(Double Live CD)
Balance

Gary Cherone Van Halen:

Van Halen III

Two Best Of CD's:

Van Halen Best Of Volume I(With 2 new David Lee Roth Songs)
The Best of Both Worlds(With 3 new Sammy Hagar Songs)

Three DVD's:

Live Without A Net(Sammy Hagar's first tour with Van Halen in 1986, live in New Haven, excellent live show, check out the solo on the song 5150 on this disc)

Van Halen Live: Right Here, Right Now(Sammy Hagar, 1991-1992 tour, F.U.C.K Tour, Fresno, still a great concert although I felt the director of this vid did too many quick cut shots)

Van Halen Video Hits (Both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar videos, also includes the first Gary Cherone Van Halen Video, "Without You")

Countless bootleg CD's and concert vids( I've got them all).

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Hey you guys that love Van Halen. Which albums did david lee roth put out, and which ones did sammy hagar put out? I can dig VH, but don't really know the history of them. What year did DLR leave VH and why?

DLR left in 1985 and depending on who you believe he either quit or was fired(same bullshit story when Sammy left in 1996). DLR's ego was, and still is, out of control. Ed is a piece of work also, though it has only been the last 6 to 7 years that his self-destruction has really started to show. I was hoping that after last summers tour with Sammy that they would do a whole new CD, but both Sammy and bassist Michael Anthony have both recently done interviews saying they're done with the band, attributing to it to Eddie being an out of control drunk once again.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was hoping that after last summers tour with Sammy that they would do a whole new CD, but both Sammy and bassist Michael Anthony have both recently done interviews saying they're done with the band, attributing to it to Eddie being an out of control drunk once again.
Saw the shows in PHX and then Vegas. Also saw the last two of the tour both nights in Tucson, I'm sure your read the reviews. I was terribly embarrased for Ed and more so Wolfie. Mike and Sam are a class act and really kept it together inspite of Ed's epidsode. It goes without saying that I forsee no re-re-union of any sort with Sammy after Ed's breakdown.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I read about the meltdown during the last show. Sad, pathetic, whatever comes to mind. Well at least Anthony has hooked up with Sammy and Waborita's. Maybe Al can help Eddie get some control back in his life.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I was hoping you'd chime in Sir Foxx. BTW, happy belated b-day. That's exactly what I was looking for thank you.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Sir Fox---I am gonna have to disagree with you on the fact that the bands stated make bands today look like chump change. If you think that, then your not listening to the right bands. Your probably listening to all those **** metal bands they play on the radio. There are new bands every bit as talents as the bands stated. They are just not very popular. I agree with you though, if your saying popular metal today doesnt have as much talent, guys like eddie van halen make them look like ****.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Saw the shows in PHX and then Vegas. Also saw the last two of the tour both nights in Tucson, I'm sure your read the reviews.
What happened at the show?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.vhnd.net/articles/221104-03.shtml

Now, about that already-infamous show, no one disputes the fact that Ed smashed two guitars, most notably the green Peavey 5150, that he played on so many dates this year, during the outro of Right Now. Many fans thought this an expression of rage, possibly directed toward Sammy and maybe Mike. Our sources tell us this was not the case. Not only did the IloveAllAccess representative inform the Five Star fans before the show that many pranks were planned by the band and the crew, such as the Great Silly String Assault, but she specifically forewarned "I'm not going to tell you, But I will Say Whatever You Do, DO NOT be in the Bathroom During RIGHT NOW." Our source does tell us that Ed was in fact very mad at someone backstage that night, but it wasn't Valerie, his girlfriend, his son, or anyone else in the VH camp so we do not think it appropriate to name them.
So whether he smashed his guitar because he was mad is anybody's guess. Maybe he did it for fun, maybe he did it because he was drunk & thought it would be cool. Maybe it was because he was glad the tour was over. Maybe he was frustrated with Peavey or the guitar itself, but whatever the case, we are told that it was NOT an issue with Sam or Mike.

We have 25 exclusive pix coming tomorrow that we will post in the order that we snapped them so you can take a look for yourself. Edward appeared pretty happy at the end of the show and rock history suggests that a smashed guitar is not necessarily the end of a carreer, starting with Hendrix and hopefully most recently including Van Halen. Beyond all of this, from our very close view of the stage, we are surprised how much attention this event is receiving. Smashing the guitars, while admittedly unusual in a VH show, did not stand out as either the high or low points of the concert. We were surprised when Ed did it because he did not seem angry before, during, or afterward. Ed just smashed 'em, for whatever reason rock stars smash guitars.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Sir Fox---I am gonna have to disagree with you on the fact that the bands stated make bands today look like chump change. If you think that, then your not listening to the right bands. Your probably listening to all those **** metal bands they play on the radio. There are new bands every bit as talents as the bands stated. They are just not very popular. I agree with you though, if your saying popular metal today doesnt have as much talent, guys like eddie van halen make them look like ****.

I think you have me mistaken with someone else, I never said that.

I was only referring to the shear technical talent that bands of yester-year have over todays talent. Wasn't referring to the quality of music in anyway.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Every one of those bands above can play rings around todays so called "talent".---you said this on the previous page

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
http://www.vhnd.net/articles/221104-03.shtml

Now, about that already-infamous show, no one disputes the fact that Ed smashed two guitars, most notably the green Peavey 5150, that he played on so many dates this year, during the outro of Right Now. Many fans thought this an expression of rage, possibly directed toward Sammy and maybe Mike. Our sources tell us this was not the case. Not only did the IloveAllAccess representative inform the Five Star fans before the show that many pranks were planned by the band and the crew, such as the Great Silly String Assault, but she specifically forewarned "I'm not going to tell you, But I will Say Whatever You Do, DO NOT be in the Bathroom During RIGHT NOW." Our source does tell us that Ed was in fact very mad at someone backstage that night, but it wasn't Valerie, his girlfriend, his son, or anyone else in the VH camp so we do not think it appropriate to name them.
So whether he smashed his guitar because he was mad is anybody's guess. Maybe he did it for fun, maybe he did it because he was drunk & thought it would be cool. Maybe it was because he was glad the tour was over. Maybe he was frustrated with Peavey or the guitar itself, but whatever the case, we are told that it was NOT an issue with Sam or Mike.

We have 25 exclusive pix coming tomorrow that we will post in the order that we snapped them so you can take a look for yourself. Edward appeared pretty happy at the end of the show and rock history suggests that a smashed guitar is not necessarily the end of a carreer, starting with Hendrix and hopefully most recently including Van Halen. Beyond all of this, from our very close view of the stage, we are surprised how much attention this event is receiving. Smashing the guitars, while admittedly unusual in a VH show, did not stand out as either the high or low points of the concert. We were surprised when Ed did it because he did not seem angry before, during, or afterward. Ed just smashed 'em, for whatever reason rock stars smash guitars.

This was a total coverup. Both Sam and Mike have inferred that this was directed towards them, and even Al has seemed uncomfortable when the subject has been brought up.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Every one of those bands above can play rings around todays so called "talent".---you said this on the previous page

By saying "play rings around todays so called "talent" ", I was referring to the technical side of it. Sorry for my confusing way of saying it.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
and I am saying that your not listening to the right bands. There are alot of technical metal bands out today, just not mainstream. For example.....iced earth, children of bodom, shadows fall, earlier in flames just to name a few.

M

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The mere mention of bands such as Ratt or Poison being able to play rings around some of the technical death metal bands of today such as Nile or Necrophagist makes me want to vomit.

I

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As a teen, I liked Motley Crue (Too Fast for Love and Shout at the Devil - Theatre of Pain and Girls lost me), DLR VH, early Ratt, AC/DC, Def Leppard (NOT that pour some sugar ****). After a brief and embarrassing new wave period, in 86-87 I started getting into punk/hardcore, then NYHC/crossover (Cro-Mags, DRI, Gorilla Biscuits, Sick of it All). By then mainstream metal was too lipstick. I still liked Slayer all the way through Seasons, and Reign in Blood is still in my top 10 of all time. Metallica through the Black album. Since then I've been listening to some of all of the above, and plenty of different non-metal, non-hc ****. I checked out Shadows Fall (The War Within) after reading BigVrunga's thread, and I'm starting to REALLY dig it, I think old school guys should give them a listen. When 'The Light that Blinds' kicks in with that blitzkrieg double-bass, it reminds me of old slayer, and it just warms my heart! Likewise, anyone who is too young to remember early 80s hard rock/metal, should give it a listen.
BTW, as an aside, how do you guys (old and new) classify System of a Down?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
as an aside, how do you guys (old and new) classify System of a Down?
I'd say new punk/metal. Have you heard the new track from systems? Bring your own bombs? I love that fvckin' song. Systems is also another high school fav.

I

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What about PANTERA bitches!?!?!?!

Vulgar Display of Power is a preworkout staple of mine. :)
I haven't heard much Pantera, I should give them a listen. But please don't EVER change your avatar! Everytime I see one of your posts, time stops for 30 seconds or so as I get lost in those tenuously tethered globes! :D

I

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd say new punk/metal. Have you heard the new track from systems? Bring your own bombs? I love that fvckin' song. Systems is also another high school fav.
I have, I think they played it on SNL last Sat, didn't they? Kick ass, Mezmerize should be a good release. Didn't they follow up with a very short Arials? And I think the censors missed a "**** yeah!" at the end lol. SOD has some stuff that's just average, and some that just blows my mind. Great lifting/MMA tracks.

edit: I meant SOAD - SOD was Stormtroppers of Death, an Anthrax spinoff that played brutal, crunchy and fast for 85. They helped start crossover. Oh, and the only thing more offensive around then was the meatmen (with gems like 'crippled people suck'. SOD had titles like '**** the middle east', and the album was 'speak english or die!') Hear some tracks in low-rez: Amazon.com: Speak English or Die: S.O.D.: Stormtroopers of Death: Music

Last edited:
Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
The mere mention of bands such as Ratt or Poison being able to play rings around some of the technical death metal bands of today such as Nile or Necrophagist makes me want to vomit.
I was thinking more of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Reb Beach, George Lynch, Adrian Smith, etc, stuff along those lines. I don't think anyone thinks of Poison concerning anything.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was thinking more of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Reb Beach, George Lynch, Adrian Smith, etc, stuff along those lines. I don't think anyone thinks of Poison concerning anything.
Let's not forget Randy Rhoads, Vivian Campbell, Vito Bratta and Yngwie Malmsteen

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Max---I couldnt agree more
B1510---Yngwie is pretty fucken awesome
Intv----- I saw them on SNL, man that song blew. I classify them as nu metal