In a Supplement, What Concerns You Most?

What concerns you most about a supplement?

• Total voters
CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Something I was wondering about today, and maybe this could help the sponsors here. Gimme your vote on what concerns you most about a supplement from among these choices. Here are the choices explained as I see them.

Dose per serving is too low.
Not enopugh 'effective' servings per unit.
Lack of information concerning the ingredients.
Cost too high.

Out of these, which gets you most buzzed when you see a product you might otherwise like or want to try, but it has one or more of these flaws?

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lack of information concerning the ingredients. (QUOTE)

This is the main thing that turns me off from a supp and makes me go with the bulk powders.
I understand that companies go to 'proprietary blends' so people don't rip them off, but it makes it hard to evaluate a supplement before spending $50 on it when you don't know how much of an ingredient is in it. How many underdosed supps are out there? Tons. So, this keeps me from buying retail mixes and forces me to combine my own. It is kinda fun mixing powders, but if I could get exactly what I needed mixed already, I probably would just out of laziness!
Just my two cents though, curious to read other thoughts.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can I shoose all of the above. Any of the posted concerns will turn me off on any supplement.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I think a combination of things bothers me. For one, which is of course obvious, is price. Some of these companies make it impossible for someone to take their supplements on a consistant basis unless of course you have money to burn. Although with the introduction of bulk supplies, this is becoming less of a factor. I also hate when companies throw in proprietary (sp?) blend or blend matrix or whatever. God only knows how much of what really goes into this so called blend. I like knowing exactly how much of what I'm taking. Not enough effective product per serving can be a pain in the ass as well. You end up taking half the bottle just to get the effective amount of a particular supplement. This is why I believe buying in bulk and creating your own blends is so much more cost efficient. Not only that, but you get exactly what you want in the exact amount you want.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Lack of information concerning the ingredients. (QUOTE)

This is the main thing that turns me off from a supp and makes me go with the bulk powders.
I understand that companies go to 'proprietary blends' so people don't rip them off, but it makes it hard to evaluate a supplement before spending $50 on it when you don't know how much of an ingredient is in it. How many underdosed supps are out there? Tons. So, this keeps me from buying retail mixes and forces me to combine my own. It is kinda fun mixing powders, but if I could get exactly what I needed mixed already, I probably would just out of laziness!
Just my two cents though, curious to read other thoughts.
Just to clarify, I'd put your concern under inadequate dosing per serving. For lack of information I was mainly concerned with companies not releasing information or flat out lack of information concerning this substance or that. Examples would be obscure herbals from foreign countries with little or no information available in English about them.

As for picking more than one, I thought about that, but then I also thought everyone would just pick them all then. I would, because they all concern me. So I decided to try and get at what bothers people most out of the four. That I think would be more helpful information, and people can always vent on other things in posts.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I voted cost is too high. All of the above concern me in some situations, but cost is the big one. When you look at any single great supp it doesn't seem like much of an issue. Glucophase, for example, would probably be judged by most well worth the money if you can get a month supply for a dollar a day. Want to improve the effectiveness? Throw in Lean Extreme. Now it is $2 per day. For a killer fat loss stack you should probably throw in some Sesathin. $3 per day. Add a good stim and you might be looking at close to $4 per day. You don't want to be a catabolic nightmare so you might throw in some BCAAs. To save $, you buy them bulk from Custom. You'll need about a Kilo for the month if your going with about 30g per day, so now you are definitely at $5 per day. The price just keeps going up...

But you know what. If you weren't into bodybuilding you would probably be out drinking several nights a week. I know I would. At $5 per beer or more at a decent bar/club you would be spending way more than we spend on supps in order to look and feel like ****. Price is a concern, but I think I just talked myself out of my initial concern:think:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
But you know what. If you weren't into bodybuilding you would probably be out drinking several nights a week. I know I would. At $5 per beer or more at a decent bar/club you would be spending way more than we spend on supps in order to look and feel like ****. Price is a concern, but I think I just talked myself out of my initial concern:think:
I think price is moreof a concern in the general market and not to those of us who buy bulk powders and specifically targeted supplements like GXR. But to someone who wants to try a supp like NeuroStim after reading good reviews of it, the price is a serious factor in my opinion. I have a few friends who liked the free samples I got from Bulk Nutrition, but when they see the price they just say **** it.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Cost and not enough effective servings per unit. The second one because I hate all those pointless supplements out there that don't have enough to do much of ANYTHING. And hell those are the ones that cost too damn much!

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I think price is moreof a concern in the general market and not to those of us who buy bulk powders and specifically targeted supplements like GXR. But to someone who wants to try a supp like NeuroStim after reading good reviews of it, the price is a serious factor in my opinion. I have a few friends who liked the free samples I got from Bulk Nutrition, but when they see the price they just say **** it.
I hear that. It was alright stuff, but not alright enough for me to pay a dollar fifty a serving.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Meeting the label claims is my biggest concern. If I buy a protein powder that claims 25 grams per serving it better not be 15 because I'm depending on 25 grams, not 15. The cost is a huge concern too, but if I have to pay a little more (within reason of course) for a quality product than I will do that.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
my gripe is with "not enough effective servings per bottle". for instance, LeanXtreme. a great product, but at the reccommended dose the bottle lasts for like 15 days. thats really not a huge deal, but at 35 bucks a bottle it starts to become a concern.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'd say all the above, plus TOO MUCH HYPE as another. Let's face it: nothing can possibly live up to the advertised effects/efficacy of these supps. But that is just marketing. That said, the beauty of companies such as Designer, Avant, ALRI and a few other select "producers" is that they create supps which not only have proven ingredients, but in doses which will work as well. And as a general rule, they keep the pricing reasonable based on the very high quality. We appreciate the hell out of that kind of thing around here!!

captain chet

Awards
I just straight up hate that fact sometimes on the bottle its telling you that you need "2 a day" but then I go and read here that "6 a day" works and that "2 a day" is a waste. That 60 count bottle that was supposed to last for all of the PCT only is going to last for 10 days at the "correct real-life" dose.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Actually, think price is more of a concern to those who buy bulk over the general market.

VPX, Muscle-Tech and others are good examples of this. People will fork over the money.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
CDB - where's "all the above"?

can't speak for others, but my cost of living (ie, gas) has squeezed out any "non-essential" purchases, so supplements will have to prove themselves on a fairly hard-nosed value basis before they can get a dollar out of me.

anyone else feeling the pinch?

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
man i hate it when i cant even find out what kind of stuff im taking exactly, damn blends.:frustrate

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
CDB - where's "all the above"?

can't speak for others, but my cost of living (ie, gas) has squeezed out any "non-essential" purchases, so supplements will have to prove themselves on a fairly hard-nosed value basis before they can get a dollar out of me.

anyone else feeling the pinch?
Oh yeah! Having a hard time affording even some of the essentials right now. Took me 3 months to save up for
my winter cycle I will be starting Nov 1st (moo ha ha). Don't know how I am going to afford all the food I am going to be consuming on EQ & Test.

That being said, except for a few things like my Multi, Omega 3 oil, & R-ALA, I go bulk powders. I get them by the Kilo when I can. Of course it takes me 5 minutes to make a dam protein shake with all the powders I'm dumping in.

So yeah, my answer is price.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unlike most people here, I have money to burn. My deal is definately effectiveness. There are so many **** products out there that it's hard to weed them all out. So I'd vote for both effective indredients and lack of information all in the same.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
man i hate it when i cant even find out what kind of stuff im taking exactly, damn blends.:frustrate
For sure. Something that advertises "Proprietary creatine blend 10g" with all of the possible creatines in it - mono, malate, cee, etc irritates the heck out of me, because I have no idea how much of each of those is there, and whether I want to supplement one possibly further.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Meeting the label claims is my biggest concern. If I buy a protein powder that claims 25 grams per serving it better not be 15 because I'm depending on 25 grams, not 15.
^^^ This would definately get my vote. in a perfect world, all supplement companies would submit CoA's that were available to the public on every batch to verify the ingredients match the label claims. unfortunately, most people would prefer a cheaper supplement that does not provide this certificate whereas I am very willing to drop extra cash for the verification. this is why this decision is unpopular among many companies, but there have been numerous reports where supplements do not comply with the label. this trend seems to be increasing and it seems that china is becoming a problem in this regard.