Do I need a Powerlifting belt?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I was just curious onto if I need to invest in a belt. I'm not going to be doing any competitions, but I will just be doing general strength training trying to get stronger and help my posture. Do you guys think I need one?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What kind of training do you currently do and plan on doing? What lifts do you use in your training?

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
From what I've researched a belt should only be used when working with weights that are 90 percent of your 1 RM

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
It depends on your type of training and how comfortable you are with/ without a belt

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
What kind of training do you currently do and plan on doing? What lifts do you use in your training?
I do a 5 day split right now and I use benching, squatting and deadlifts in my workout regime right now. I wanted to hopefully move to a regime to help with hypertrophy and building more strength overall and with my grip strength. I know it may not be totally realistic, but I want to be able to lift like a powerlifter without getting too bulky.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
It depends on your type of training and how comfortable you are with/ without a belt
I've never had the oppurtunity to train with a belt. I've only heard about it recently, because I want to get more serious about my training and I thought it would be able to help with making sure my posture doesn't suffer and I don't tweak anything

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You can absolutely buy one, but I don't think it is necessary based on what you're going for. Just make sure that your form and technique are good as you progress up in weight.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Power lifters are bulky because they're fat, look at top level crossfire guys... Put them on a platform and they'd be pretty competitive as power lifters.... But they're not " bulky"

And back to the belt, a lot of people would say you need to learn how to brace your core correctly while performing the lifts before you get into using a belt

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
And ive hurt my back badly twice... While wearing a belt... Ive never hurt myself while going beltless

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
And ive hurt my back badly twice... While wearing a belt... Ive never hurt myself while going beltless
Oh okay. Thank you for the tips. Should I look into the training forum for how to brace my core properly?

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
You can or just google it, many of the top level guys have made videos on this, its a common question

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use 2 different belts, depending what I'm doing. I use my thicker Inzer Lever belt for squating. For Oly lifts / OH work, or where I need more mobility/movement, I use a thinner Rogue belt.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Power lifters are bulky because they're fat, look at top level crossfire guys... Put them on a platform and they'd be pretty competitive as power lifters.... But they're not " bulky"

And back to the belt, a lot of people would say you need to learn how to brace your core correctly while performing the lifts before you get into using a belt
Lmao. The level of ignorance never gets old.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I
Can't
Even

Lolol

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not necessary but you could use one if you really want to. I'd only recommending adding it if your current form is on point and you properly know how to breathe and brace without a belt.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Not necessary but you could use one if you really want to. I'd only recommending adding it if your current form is on point and you properly know how to breathe and brace without a belt.
Okay. I'll work on my form and breathing, then we will see where I'm at and if I need one.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay. I'll work on my form and breathing, then we will see where I'm at and if I need one.
Look into Chris duffins breathing/bracing cues. Laynes cue is decent as well.

I train with and without a belt

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
I've never had the oppurtunity to train with a belt. I've only heard about it recently, because I want to get more serious about my training and I thought it would be able to help with making sure my posture doesn't suffer and I don't tweak anything
Google the valsalva maneuver

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Look into Chris duffins breathing/bracing cues. Laynes cue is decent as well.

I train with and without a belt
Yeah I looked up his channel and found the video. Liked the simplicity of it all.