What got you into lifting?

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
What's up everybody? Just curious how some of you guys got started with weightlifting and working out. Did you have family members that lifted? Did you do it as part of conditioning for sports? For stress relief? Or just to get in shape?

I'll start. I was bullied a lot in middle school because I was the short weird little kid who listened to metal, played video games all day, and sucked at sports. Eventually in high school I got tired of being treated that way and was "fuk this, I'll show all of you" and my senior year I went from 125 to 150, which for someone who is 5'6", really looked like a lot at the time. I fell in love with the the emotional release of weightlifting and improving in the gym and have never looked back since! Now I primarily lift just to deal with the stress of life and because I just genuinely enjoy it. What about you guys??

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
The most inspiring thing to me was walking thru big Y in ludlow mass . Walking past the mag rack and seeing the dudes on the cover ... led to me stealing the mags and pinning up the pictures all over my room . Been lifting for 14 yrs straight now.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
The most inspiring thing to me was walking thru big Y in ludlow mass . Walking past the mag rack and seeing the dudes on the cover ... led to me stealing the mags and pinning up the pictures all over my room . Been lifting for 14 yrs straight now.
I would always see the magazines in the grocery store and be like "damn! Those dudes are jacked, maybe I can be jacked one day." Lol

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
For me it was my Brother,Cousin,and Football..

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was always super skinny and weak and sort of just tried lifting during freshman year of college and fell in love with it. I really liked the initial results and wanted to see how far I could go. Once I got really involved in looking at different supplements and the science of it all, I was hooked.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
I was always super skinny and weak and sort of just tried lifting during freshman year of college and fell in love with it. I really liked the initial results and wanted to see how far I could go. Once I got really involved in looking at different supplements and the science of it all, I was hooked.
Agreed. I find exercise and supplement science fascinating as well.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My dad. He got me in the gym and boxing at 17 and I never looked back.

DotW

DotW

Awards
I was an obese middle school youth group leader. My wife was driving me to church and I saw a fairly frumpy fellow yelling at some kids playing soccer and thought to myself, "He's so fat, he can't even show them how to play. He's got to yell it from his chair on the porch. I wonder if that's how all my kids look at me." Signed up for the gym the next day. That was seven years ago. Just started getting serious about lifting a year ago.

Now I just want to be my son's hero. I want to make him proud when we're together in public.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I become ill at age 46.5. Always healthy, active and electric like in my 20s. Thought I was dying. Went to the Dr. Some hormones levels not where they should be. Always did cardio- love to run fast. Thought weightlifting was for narcissistic types. Dr. said try weights.( some OTC sups as well for those hormones) Worked wonders. Back to being me and found respect for folks who move weights. Love the mental and physical challenge of every workout.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
You know you all got into lifting because you were dumped by some girl at one point. :lol:

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
At 14 Went to highschool standing at 5ft8 weighing 106lbs..so naturally I was always being picke on even though I was strong as hell and good in sport,that December I started lifting weights.In my final year I was just 5ft91/2,but was about 225 lbs (had about 20%bf),but no one was picking on me anymore :)

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Presidential Physical Fitness test. I was a fat kid who could not complete a single pull up and got laughed at by the entire class. My dad hung up a bar in the basement the next day, and started me off doing negatives by having me climb up a chair, grabbing the bar and lowering myself as slowly as I could. Then I progressed to real pull ups, then weighted ones. I remember buying my first 110LB weight set at Sears for $19.99 and then bought an incline bench for the same price a couple months later. Ended up buying 2 more 110 lb sets and only loading the 'big' weights on the bar, which in retrospect was a really bad idea because the bar was like 6 lbs and hollow and ended up bent like an upside down 'U'. :)

Hootie

Hootie

Awards
  • Established
Jr high football 1st time around. My son wrestling this time.