Catholicism

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Thoughts on Catholicism actually idolizing idols and praying to Saints that cant hear prayers?

Also, IYO, can you have a personal relationship with God with Catholicism?

Thoughts? Anyone?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not really religious but I feel like God is the good in all of us. We have our own special relationship with Him and I don't need to go to church in order to show it. I also feel like every religion has their own version of the same God. :)

Methylated88

Awards
Thoughts on Catholicism actually idolizing idols and praying to Saints that cant hear prayers?

Thoughts? Anyone?
From what I see, and what I read in the Bible, Catholicism indeed promotes idol worship. And praying to saints is redundant, seeing as Jesus Christ is the mediator between God and man. Not a priest. And certainly not a saint.

And I actually do believe you can have a relationship with God in Catholicism. But I also believe He will lead you out of it very quickly. In other words, if you find Him while IN Catholicism, it is not BECAUSE of Catholicism.

Why do you ask?

Methylated88

Awards
Also, if you would like scripture to support what I stated, I will gladly provide it. ☺

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established

Thoughts? Anyone?
religion has caused more bad than good IMO.... the ACTUAL teachings of some EARLY BLOOMERS like Jesus and Buddha have really been destroyed over time (ever play broken telephone wire?). I think there is truth in many religions... i would never blindly follow any of them... and THAT brings me closer to this label of "God" ... which is more of an energy, not a puppet master.... the general accepted description and idea of "God" is very primitive IMO.

so to the Q; can you? yes you can. but depends exactly what you even mean by that.... i could go on and on but my eyes hurt lol

thanks for the thread! : )

ps, jesus meditated... this prayer crap came way after and the point was lost. i can be just as close or closer to "god" from my home than many in the church IMO

Methylated88

Awards
religion has caused more bad than good IMO.... the ACTUAL teachings of some EARLY BLOOMERS like Jesus and Buddha have really been destroyed over time (ever play broken telephone wire?). Everything Jesus taught was a carryover of the Old Testament laws. In fact His teaching "transcended" the law because it was more strict. For example. The law states not to commit adultery. Well Jesus went even further and said that if you even look upon a person with lust in your heart then you have already committed adultery. I think there is truth in many religions... i would never blindly follow any of them... and THAT brings me closer to this label of "God" ... which is more of an energy, not a puppet master.... The Bible clearly shows God is no puppet master. But He DOES expect much from those who profess to be His follower. the general accepted description and idea of "God" is very primitive IMO.

so to the Q; can you? yes you can. but depends exactly what you even mean by that.... i could go on and on but my eyes hurt lol

thanks for the thread! : )

ps, jesus meditated... this prayer crap came way after and the point was lost. Can you cite a source on that? Because the oldest manuscripts even say He prayed. i can be just as close or closer to "god" from my home than many in the church IMO Since the op is referring to the Christian God, we need to remember that the Bible clearly states that Christians are not to forsake the assembling of themselves, I.e. Church.
Read Bold

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
i can be just as close or closer to "god" from my home than many in the church IMO
I totally agree with the above statement...one HUGE misconception in today's society....people believe that if you do not attend church, you are not a christian.

When I get asked the typical question...."do you go to church?"....i turn it around and ask the person that asked me "do i go to church, or am i a christian?" In my opinion there is a big difference in them two questions!!

Methylated88

Awards
Hebrew 10:25,26
"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins"

drtyrabbyt

Awards
Unfortunately, Catholicism is an accepted, celebrated cult. Saints? In the Bible, it clearly states we're all saints if we belong to the Church (not the building, but whom God has chosen to be His own). No one but Jesus-Lord is exalted...not Mary, Paul, or Peter. He saved them with His precious blood on Calvary. I read how people are talking about religion, but believing in & walking with Jesus Christ isn't religion, it's relationship. Going to church & being a Christian is another topic. If you are sincerely a believer in Christ, you're going to church, not for the ritual of it, but to be around other believers like yourselves & to build them up as they're supposed to build you up...sharpen you as you sharpen them in the Word of God.

Methylated88

Awards
Unfortunately, Catholicism is an accepted, celebrated cult. Saints? In the Bible, it clearly states we're all saints if we belong to the Church (not the building, but whom God has chosen to be His own). No one but Jesus-Lord is exalted...not Mary, Paul, or Peter. He saved them with His precious blood on Calvary. I read how people are talking about religion, but believing in & walking with Jesus Christ isn't religion, it's relationship. Going to church & being a Christian is another topic. If you are sincerely a believer in Christ, you're going to church, not for the ritual of it, but to be around other believers like yourselves & to build them up as they're supposed to build you up...sharpen you as you sharpen them in the Word of God.
Concise and simply well said, brother.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Catholicism is a cult.

Just kidding, I've always said that since I was little and I don't have any idea why. Lol

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Read Bold
good listen i highly rec to anyone> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPrn4s3-XMI

ofcourse the translation to the English word "prayer" means something to us now than it did back then, just like how "virgin" long ago meant PURE... mary the virgin... mary the pure.... but i can go on and on. the bible is a book made my humans trying to explain what they cant.
ofcourse jesus came from knowing old teachings, its called cultural conditioning and all of us have it to a degree.
the bible shows one god that would kill a mans son in punishment and would damn people that dont follow his word (remember its a book by peopel though, not god) yet in same book the "god" loves and forgives everyone. the difference from old god and newer one is like 2 different people. jesus took that to think of lust is already adultery was more about the mind set of that person... if you are good only due to fear of god, then you are actually not a very good person... the point (to me) is to know it at the soul, in the mind and not just if or if you do not do it. and the 10 commandments are merely common sense (to me) which many lack/lacked and the fact he was lost in dessert and needed people to push on. think of greek mythology.. a god for everything they cant explain? we grouped it into one.
we are ALL with the capability of true god awareness and soul awareness, most do not see it or know it or live it. but my point is we are all god and are all connected along with everything else in the universe.

did you know early on they did not use wine or this "my body is this bread" host?
did you know the ointments used in large part where cannabis extracts?
if you look at the region and time and leave the religious part out and look solely at how they lived and what they used you can find this out historically.
here is something on it i found a bit interesting also>

the church used Jesus for their own agendas in my opinion. not to say it was all bad... but there is soo much conflicting things in the same book... and yes iv read it more than once.
look up > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nag_Hammadi_library
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_Gospels

also interesting
https://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpress.com/marijuana-info/marijuana-in-the-bible/

Just listen to the first link i posted and let me know what you think...

point is enlightenment not following this and that rule... thats for the sheep still far from it IMO (no offense)

i say all this, dont fear "god" yet care for every life, to the point i do not eat meat or fish, i saves animals or even bugs when i can, i give when i can, i surrender when needed, push on when needed, care about others and treat everyone as i would like to be treated... yet do NOT do it to make some "god" happy. an i do believe in god, i am VERY spiritual, but not religious, they are not the same thing. god, this life force energy throughout the universe i do believe and feel... just not with all the human this and that added to it...

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
ps, i was brought up catholic all my life. i did the work to learn and not just what was spoon fed to me...

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established

ofcourse the translation to the English word "prayer" means something to us now than it did back then, just like how "virgin" long ago meant PURE... mary the virgin... mary the pure.... but i can go on and on. the bible is a book made my humans trying to explain what they cant.
ofcourse jesus came from knowing old teachings, its called cultural conditioning and all of us have it to a degree.
the bible shows one god that would kill a mans son in punishment and would damn people that dont follow his word (remember its a book by peopel though, not god) yet in same book the "god" loves and forgives everyone. the difference from old god and newer one is like 2 different people. jesus took that to think of lust is already adultery was more about the mind set of that person... if you are good only due to fear of god, then you are actually not a very good person... the point (to me) is to know it at the soul, in the mind and not just if or if you do not do it. and the 10 commandments are merely common sense (to me) which many lack/lacked and the fact he was lost in dessert and needed people to push on. think of greek mythology.. a god for everything they cant explain? we grouped it into one.
we are ALL with the capability of true god awareness and soul awareness, most do not see it or know it or live it. but my point is we are all god and are all connected along with everything else in the universe.

did you know early on they did not use wine or this "my body is this bread" host?
if you look at the region and time and leave the religious part out and look solely at how they lived and what they used you can find this out historically.

the church used Jesus for their own agendas in my opinion. not to say it was all bad... but there is soo much conflicting things in the same book... and yes iv read it more than once.

also interesting
https://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpress.com/marijuana-info/marijuana-in-the-bible/

point is enlightenment not following this and that rule... thats for the sheep still far from it IMO (no offense)

i say all this, dont fear "god" yet care for every life, to the point i do not eat meat or fish, i saves animals or even bugs when i can, i give when i can, i surrender when needed, push on when needed, care about others and treat everyone as i would like to be treated... yet do NOT do it to make some "god" happy. an i do believe in god, i am VERY spiritual, but not religious, they are not the same thing. god, this life force energy throughout the universe i do believe and feel... just not with all the human this and that added to it...
You know that every single animal or bug will die even if you don't eat it right? If you are a vegetarian, you are taking off the plate of the animals you want to save.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
ps, i was brought up catholic all my life. i did the work to learn and not just what was spoon fed to me...
I am in a catholic family, but im only 21 years old! I have also learned some things that i do not agree with in catholicism; thus im switching denominations! That is why i started this thread! Any advice?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established

also interesting

I would also argue that using an oil that has cannabis in it, and pouring it over the body is far different than ingesting it and being subject to its THC attributes.

The article tries to make the leap that they used weed in the bible like is used today, which isn't surprising considering it's published in High Times.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am in a catholic family, but im only 21 years old! I have also learned some things that i do not agree with in catholicism; thus im switching denominations! That is why i started this thread! Any advice?
Buddhism

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I totally agree with the above statement...one HUGE misconception in today's society....people believe that if you do not attend church, you are not a christian.

When I get asked the typical question...."do you go to church?"....i turn it around and ask the person that asked me "do i go to church, or am i a christian?" In my opinion there is a big difference in them two questions!!
Hebrews 10:25
25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Clearly as a body of christ, and for fellowship we (Christians) are called to go to church.

Going to church doesn't mean you're a Christian, but certainly will help you further your relationship with Christ.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It doesn't have to go south. He asked believers a question... No one else.
I hope it doesn't go south, I'm just saying religious and political threads never seem to end well. I'm all for positive vibes though ?️

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Admin is catholic...just saying :lol:

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
The reason i created this thread is to just discuss the facts regarding catholics and praying to idol and such! I know some christians who kind of frown upon catholics, and im assuming that is the reason!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My suggestion is to research as many denominations as possible and take your time as this is a big decision. There's no reason to make a rushed decision. You're definitely not the first Catholic who had issues with how the church has been run.

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
I found idol worship was part of Christian churches as well. If you pray to a cross or whatever else I feel that's an idol. Man made, not really God or Jesus.
Catholicism takes it to another level though. Go see a priest to confess sins, pray to mother Mary, pray to statues, kiss some beads etc etc..
It seems the most blatant hypocritical version of a church there is. They say the bible is what they go by. But do everything opposite of what it teaches.
Allowing openly gay priests to serve....yeah.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Catholicism takes it to another level though. Go see a priest to confess sins, pray to mother Mary, pray to statues, kiss some beads etc etc..
It seems the most blatant hypocritical version of a church there is. They say the bible is what they go by. But do everything opposite of what it teaches.
I'm not Catholic (Christian, but not Catholic), but I feel like this is too broad of a statement. There are plenty of perfectly "normal" Catholics out there and perfectly normal Catholic churches and priests out there. It's the few that make the news that give a bad name to everyone. Not all Catholics sin all week and then go confess to get forgiven on Sunday. Most are positive members of society.

Allowing openly gay priests to serve....yeah.
Like it or not (I won't say here whether I like it or not because I'm not debating), this is the wave of the future and here to stay. Pope Francis has leaned on many occasions toward being much more tolerant to gays in the Church both as members and as priests.

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
I'm not Catholic (Christian, but not Catholic), but I feel like this is too broad of a statement. There are plenty of perfectly "normal" Catholics out there and perfectly normal Catholic churches and priests out there. It's the few that make the news that give a bad name to everyone. Not all Catholics sin all week and then go confess to get forgiven on Sunday. Most are positive members of society.
I was talking more of the practices of the Catholic church. The bible puts Jesus between man and God. The catholic church puts priests, Mary and Jesus between man. Most things they do seem to go against the very book they teach from.

Methylated88

Awards
1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"
The Bible is clear, plain, and easily understood and or reconciled with itself, BY itself. And for all those who claim to be a Christ followers, they can only and must follow His Word. For He IS the Word.