• Sergio Oliva

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 21 10.8%

• Total voters

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
simple question FAVORITE body builder of all time (not best like the poll says), mine is serge nubret .. fantastic physique, amazing proportions, tiny waist, fantastic symmetry, great lines

Last edited:

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm a little confused. The thread is entitled "favorite bodybuilder....", but the poll is called "best bodybuilder.....". I voted for Arnold. He is my favorite bodybuilder of all time, I think because he is more than just a bodybuilder. Most of these guys, I've seen pictures and maybe read some interviews, but they still seem distant. I really don't know what they are like, their personalities, etc. Arnold has so much exposure, you kind of get a feel for who he really is. And whether you love or hate him or his views. I respect the hell out of him. He came on the scene a young immigrant that could barely speak English and he actually became a pretty big name in movies. Damn! Now the Gov deal. He is truly an inspiration to me. Talk about overcoming hurdles to accomplish your dreams. And all the while, he's always seemed human.... he makes/made mistakes and admits them. I don't know if I would vote for him as best bodybuilder though. That one I'll have to think on a bit.

dd

Last edited:
milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
.......myself!......

(.......trying to gain some self-confidence.)

okay. For real; Sergio for sickest looking/proportions. Arnold for pure overall impact and historical BB perspective/most incredible story, and Lee Haney for old school award. (Is picking 3 cheating???)

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
arnold...cuz of the success that his figure has taken him to-->The Governator!
plus his accent is the best! I love when conan o'brian makes fun of him.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Rich Gaspari is my favorite. Not a particular fan of his supp. company, but as a bodybuilder he was awesome.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Serge, Frank, Arnold and Draper are all up there but my favorite is Olivia.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
OK good point my bad i meant for the poll to be your FAVORITE

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
checkin' your avatar, glen, I might vote for you (over me!) ...j/k

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
hmn, as my avatar suggests, zane is/was the man

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
its funny to see that 3 guys with 21 olympias between them don't have ANY votes lol

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
olimpas shmimpias!

only one of them can (arnold voice) "take over ze country with an army of cybernetic clones!"

Aeternal

Awards
Franco Columbu. That rift in his chest is sick.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Casey Viator and Marvin Eder. The only one on that list I would vote for is Sergio.

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
I vote for Zane also even though I'm a HUGE Arnie Fan.

Jblake

Awards
Serge Nubret looked awesome in Pumping Iron. But I like Frank Zane for his quality over quantity style and conditioning.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I went for yates. Although his messed up bicep sucked, he changed BBing forever and was the best of the mass monsters--he kept a decent waist and was HUGE before any of them were BIG :D

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I went for yates. Although his messed up bicep sucked, he changed BBing forever and was the best of the mass monsters--he kept a decent waist and was HUGE before any of them were BIG :D
Yep Yates is a legend. He's why I started bodybuilding seriously. Alot of people don't like his type of physique, but to pack that much dry muscle on a frame is awe inspiring. He changed bbing just like ronnie has the last couple of years.

THE GREATEST

I'm Hungry
Awards
Arnold is the greatest, but I think Dexter is absolutely incredible

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
just to throw this out there .. as far as i'm aware sergio oliva is the only bodybuilder to ever have a better than 2:1 chest to waist ratio 60 inch chest - 29 inch waist

i could be wrong about him being the only one but that's still unbelievably impressive

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
just to throw this out there .. as far as i'm aware sergio oliva is the only bodybuilder to ever have a better than 2:1 chest to waist ratio 60 inch chest - 29 inch waist

i could be wrong about him being the only one but that's still unbelievably impressive
I don't think you are. Plus A. Jones said that Sergio had the largest arms he had ever measured...including Arnold.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I voted for Arnold b/c he was awesome and without him bodybuilding may not be what it is today.

Three other names I'll throw out that I haven't seen yet: Ferrigno, Lee Priest (great arms- altho it helps being 5'2), Mike Katz (awesome chest)

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Shawn Ray....best freaking shape, symmetry, size, lines, conditioning,etc.....he had it all in the perfect proportions....today's Frank Zane with rounder muscle bellies....he is highly underrated in my opinion....I just bought a Muscle & Fitness and he is doing an ad for Vyotech and I freaked out after not having seen him in anything for like 3 years....LOVE HIS PHYSIQUE, nuff said!

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Check my sig... gotta go with labrada. I like his philosophy and the fact that he won Olympia at like 185 or something around there. Arnold is also the man but I think that's a given.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
..lee labrada never won the Olympia ... came in second and third a bunch of times though

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established

I don't know the actual dimensions, but Brian Buchanon had one of the sickest tapers of all time. Not as massive as the myth, but absolutely incredible shape.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
..lee labrada never won the Olympia ... came in second and third a bunch of times though
Oh, still good in my opinion. I mean, 180-190 is actually attainable drug-free.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established

I dont' believe oliva had a 60" chest...(although his physique was very impressive, despite that). I mean, Arnold had a 58" chest and he put about every chest to shame that stood next to him. I'm sure he was close, but I do'nt think his chest measurements can measure up w/ the oaks.

Champ

Champ

Board Supporter
Awards
Ed Corney- BadAss when it comes to posing.

Franco Columbo- Freakish strength with the physique to go with it.

Serge Nebret- Sick abs.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
I dont' believe oliva had a 60" chest...(although his physique was very impressive, despite that). I mean, Arnold had a 58" chest and he put about every chest to shame that stood next to him. I'm sure he was close, but I do'nt think his chest measurements can measure up w/ the oaks.
well i'm positive those are sergio's documented measurements .. i guess whether they are true are not is a different story, BUT sergio did peak a tad before Arnold .. and man the guy was a fucking freak

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
He was definately a freak, that's for damn sure.

Sometimes I wonder if 1/2 these guys measurements are true. I see some of these guys claiming to have 30" waists and such, but they're so damn thick and full of muscle, it seems impossible. (Maybe I'm just jealous :p)

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Put Olivia to shame? Can't agree with that, but those are his correct measurements. Taken from Iron Age (click for direct link, really good read)

When Arnold caught sight of Sergio backstage at the Olympia, held that year in Essen, Germany, he felt chills similar to those he experienced the first time he encountered Oliva. Now, not only was Sergio as big as, if not bigger than, Arnold, but he was nearly as cut. His shoulders were broader than Arnold's, yet his waist was nearly six inches smaller.

The story goes that Arnold realized on that day, as he had in 1969, that he may have been the second-best bodybuilder on that stage. Yet Arnold was crowned the 1972 Mr. Olympia.
Here are some pics from 72'. Pictures from this event are very rare, and it took me along time to find them, but IronAge posted them on bb.com along time ago so all thanks go to him.

Attachments

Last edited:
Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Arnold is my favorite role model as well as bodybuilder... But I'm with you Glen, as far as Serge Nubret goes, if I could have any BBs physique, it would be Serge's, without a doubt... I posted this statement on BB.com long ago and got laughed at... Go figure

KoolKat

Awards
gear free*: Steve Reeves...in his early years when he won the first Mr. Universe beating Reg Park (Arnold's mentor and idol).

gear assisted: Arnold "the austrian oak"...no one has promoted and has done more for the sport of bodybuilding.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
flex. his posing was unique, and the dude was cocky. And I love that. Always came in super dry and close to 0% bodyfat as you could get.
Sage

Guido

Awards
Steve Reeves had the best natural body, but there is, was, and always will be only ONE ARNOLD. Simply amazing.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Steve Reeves had the best natural body, but there is, was, and always will be only ONE ARNOLD. Simply amazing.
A few of the older guys said Reeves was gearin' too....

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Looking at those pictures of the Olympia back in 72' and comparing them to today's Olympia, it's just simply amazing how far the sport has come since then. Night and day. Most of these guys would have a tough time qualifying for a pro card by today's standards. Sad, but true.

Guido

Awards
A few of the older guys said Reeves was gearin' too....
Reeally!!?? Damn...i totally believed his bullshit of eating wheat germ and tuna out of the can and working out 3 hours a day naturally. Oh well. Arnold is still teh win

KoolKat

Awards
If you take a look at Reeves physique there isn't much that indicates steroid use...he's not a grossly huge..he's extremely well proportioned with superb symmetry throughout most of his career...his veins aren't popping out all over the place..no stretch marks on pecs or biceps...super full set of hair..etc. Even before his death he had a full set of hair and an amazing physique for his age. Put his picture and a picture of any of the current pro bodybuilders side to side and you'll see what steroid use and abuse looks like...Reeves would have been small in current pro bodybuilding standards. It's possible that Reeves might have used some steroids initially to gain the 30lbs of muscle in 1 year he talks about in his book. That smells of heavy bullshit without gear. He also stayed lean while gaining 30lbs of muscle in that 1 year.

A genetically gifted person with smart & hard and consistent training and a finely tuned diet can achieve Reeves physique but very few have the genetics to begin with to ever achieve this level of physique.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
KoolKat, frank zane's size doesn't "indicate" steroid use :D But, he was on.

Bodybuilding was new, nutrition was in its infancy, and so was training. 3hrs a day with probably minimal-moderate gearing and I would'nt expect too much anyway. Not saying he didn't have good genetics, and he most certainly wasn't on all the time (you can tell in a few of his pics and videos). But, I don't doubt when guys like Oliva bring Reeves up when talking about gear that they know what they're talking about ;)

LOL...you wanna know when the first time ppl experiemented with Test injections? Well over a hundred years ago....lol. Not kiddin'. A scientist was extracting and "unknown substance" from some animals testicles (yes, it was test) and was injecting it and was in amazement about its rejuvenating effects.

In the news area there is an article somewhere with all of this info. Great stuff.

Talks about how in the 19(teens....maybe 1918?) a scientist was able to finally isolate 10mg of test from bull testicle...tons of it! It was all gravy from there :) So, steroids aren't new, and definitely in the 50s and 60s there were people using them.