ACL tear no surgery stupid?

mattsowski

Awards
Hello all, I recently tore the ACL in my right knee (complete tear off femur, mri confirmed) and I'm wondering if surgery is necessary for me to go on with my life. The doctor has told me that living without an ACL would only cause problems when I'm older but I have learned/been told that people can live just fine without one. I wanted to know if anyone had any personal experience with tearing their ACL here and can give me some insight. I have also read medical studies that show complete ACL tears could heal themselves contrary to popular belief. What do you think the chances that my ACL could heal itself (if there is any chance)? I also want to add that I partially tore the ACL in my other knee and that my doctor (different doctor) said that it would heal I would just have to take it easy for a couple months. I never had any problems since then with that knee. Thanks in advance guys

wags81

Awards
I tore my ACL and meniscus a couple years ago. Have you not tried to cut,plant,and pivot your feet yet? Personally for me I would never be able to play sports again with out one of my ACL's. But if it's already torn, and you're doing fine with it now,don't get the surgery I guess.

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
X2^^
It's just going to keep dislocating especially when all the swelling goes down. Sports will be out of the question with out.