Squats and Hemorrhoids

DB1219

Awards
So the last few days I have been sufferng with a significant hemorrhoid (phase 3 or 4 internal hemorrhoid prolapsed). I couldnt figure out what may have caused it, until I read bearing down and pressure/exertion. I believe squat day 2 days ago may have been the cause. I gotta say this might put a damper on contribution to the 100,000 squat challege! Anybody else get these from squats?

FlyJay

Awards
Have you seen a doctor? Sometimes these can be pretty serious. But they're not uncommon with lifting, especially squats and deadlifts.

DB1219

Awards
no, but if it has not improved by tomorow i am calling. I have had minor ones in the past usually caused by poor diet or some GI trigger. Thats why this surprised me. But you are right, i should get it checked out.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get this condition as well. After your inflammation subsides start incorporating "ab vacuums" into your daily regimen. If done right you will build strength in the sphincter area to help hold them in. If bad enough you should consult your doctor.

DB1219

Awards
I will look into ab vacuums. Things seem to be a little better this am. I took 800 mg of Ibruprofen last night which helped.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah man, I've dealt with this for years. Generally deadlifts affect it the most for a day or two following. My doc has checked it out and basically said, do you plan to keep doing deadlifts and squats or picking heavy things up? Um, yes. Well, then don't worry about it because they will keep coming back.

DB1219

Awards
Well its leg day in an hour or so and its better, but not gone. I will bring that up with the doc next week. I can tolerate it as is, but man 2 days ago I was climbing the walls and it looked bad. I appreciate hearing from others that I am not alone.

DB1219

Awards
I get this condition as well. After your inflammation subsides start incorporating "ab vacuums" into your daily regimen. If done right you will build strength in the sphincter area to help hold them in. If bad enough you should consult your doctor.
Man, checked out ab vacuums on youtube. Quite the hotty was demonstrating. K's perfect fitness or something. Now I have hemorrhoids AND I'm in love!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have you tried treating them at all on your own? If they flare up after performing certain techniques, perhaps try using a cotton pad with witch hazel on it after your workout.

islandiron

islandiron

Awards
So the last few days I have been sufferng with a significant hemorrhoid (phase 3 or 4 internal hemorrhoid prolapsed). I couldnt figure out what may have caused it, until I read bearing down and pressure/exertion. I believe squat day 2 days ago may have been the cause. I gotta say this might put a damper on contribution to the 100,000 squat challege! Anybody else get these from squats?
I had a bro who had this happen few years back and the doc told him he had his lifting belt cranked to tight! So he took it back a few notches and never had a problem after. He squats in the 450- 500 range deep.

DB1219

Awards
Interesting. I do pull the belt pretty tight on heavy squats. I see Doc today.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've had them for years. Saw doctor about getting removal surgery but he said they weren't bad enough to warrant it.

DB1219

Awards
T-bone, I'm curious if you think yours were caused or aggravated by squats or deads. My situation has improved. I have been squatting 2-times a week since. I went to doc and forgot to bring it up because we got talking about blood work.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
T-bone, I'm curious if you think yours were caused or aggravated by squats or deads. My situation has improved. I have been squatting 2-times a week since. I went to doc and forgot to bring it up because we got talking about blood work.
Yes they are caused by straining. Years ago before I got into lifting I was helping do some landscaping. We went to a rock quarry and I was loading rocks on a traile, bigger ones than I should of been carrying. Two days later I had one externally that wouldn't go away. Some docs will lance them if they are on the outside. My doc gave my some topical pain meds and cut it off. Later that day I was in the worse pain I had ever been in in my life!!! Do not let them cut them off!!!! haha

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've had IBS all my life which started a little more than 20 years ago. So the that I'm thinking was part of the initial cause. Lifting heavy just aggravates them. Take a week off and they are not as bad.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fiber definitely will help, because any kind of straining, including constipation will aggravate them. Also don't sit on the toilet for too long, just do you business and get off the pot.

Bigdeputy

Bigdeputy

Awards
I had a bro who had this happen few years back and the doc told him he had his lifting belt cranked to tight! So he took it back a few notches and never had a problem after. He squats in the 450- 500 range deep.
Yes my ortho doc recommended that i wear my higher and looser.