drinking beer?

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
whats everyones thoughts on drinking beer/liqour when trying to bulk or cut....or in general for that matter
how much or how little?

h19

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
mmm....i read/heard/ask about this question quite alot my friend. you gotta know that alchohol is empty cals ...obviously if you're a drinker, you rather be in a bulk than a cut. but i still think anything is ok (or pretty close to it) in moderation. i say this b/c bodybuidling isnt my life, just a hobby. so if im with my boyz at a club or bar, i wont hesitate to down a couple if fun times are ahead. (by that i mean i wont say to myself,..."wait, i shouldt have this cuz this gonna hurt my progress") sorry i dont have a scientific backings on your ?.....

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Good post sage...

Also alcohol damages the liver and causes it to put thin, loose wraps on cholesterol, eventually these wraps will come off before the cholesterol can be deposited safetly and will back up and condense on the walls of arteries and over time will lead to cardio vascular disease, heart attack etc. These LDL cholesterol's are bad for the body.

true_c

Awards
that's good info YJ - but thats not all...

alcohol substantially increases estrogen, and decreases testosterone

and

slows down protein synthesis 20%:eek:

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
As far as I understand it, as long as there is alcohol to be processed in your body, you will not make any sorts of progress. In other words, protein synthesis will be halted until the body can remove the toxins from itself... Then, of course, there are the negative after effects such as decreased test, etc

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
And to add to the list of bad things.. all alcohols are poisons. Some just more so than others... Do you ever wonder what made the first guy want to see what that fremented stuff in a barrel tasted like? Sorry weird thought there :cool: :D

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Good post sage...

Also alcohol damages the liver and causes it to put thin, loose wraps on cholesterol, eventually these wraps will come off before the cholesterol can be deposited safetly and will back up and condense on the walls of arteries and over time will lead to cardio vascular disease, heart attack etc. These LDL cholesterol's are bad for the body.
Engish.. YJ.. english!!!! hehehe. Talk to ya..:p

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
that's good info YJ - but thats not all...

alcohol substantially increases estrogen, and decreases testosterone

and

slows down protein synthesis 20%:eek:
there's sort of the scientific backing i was looking for..

DarCSA

Awards
Good post and my first time reading it. I knew that it was a poison and that it was empty calories. Thanks for bringing out the other info bros.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I'll have a few drinks about once a month, probably more than I should. I'll only pack them away for very special occasions though (such as Friday or Saturday's j/k) :D

Andy2k

Awards
If you're going to do a cycle, it's best to avoid the stuff; for all the reasons mentioned above!
A unit or two of alcohol a day shouldn't do too much harm to most, but will have negative effects on those who need peak performance - let's face it- we need to keep ourselves in building mode all the time when we are serious about things.
I'll generally have a couple of drinks 3 times a week, except when I plan ahead and go for a cycle - then I don't touch the stuff.
A cycle costs money - the PHs etc, extra protein, liver protect, oestrogen inhibitors etc - why waste the money by having a beer?
BTW, you're better off with a spirit or wine - for a given amount of alcohol, beer has the highest count of calories.

garyrabbit

Awards
Good thread Hamper! My views are just leave the beer and booze alone. As it will only hurt and hamper the building of the body along with cause probelms for the liver and kidneys as well.
While on cycle it will slow/or stop the building while the body gets rid of the alcohol. It's just best to leave it totally alone and stick to water and such. The affects on the body can have long term effects also,I should know. Being a ex-drinker the liver can only take so much and while it sounds good at the time the long term is what we have to look at also.
Peace

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Just curious as to your thoughts on this, but there is now overwhelming support from the medical community for moderate drinking and the benefits that it can provide the heart, etc.. It's been called the double edge sword because in moderation they support it but that could lead to abuse which is damaging. What other the substances are we aware of that are great in moderation but bad when abused? ;)

Sean

Awards
What other the substances are we aware of that are great in moderation but bad when abused? ;)

Water (dehydration, over-hydration), sodium (water retention, but raises blood pressure, I think), E/C (requires little explanation, I think), and...oh yes, juice. :D

Clintdogg

Clintdogg

Awards
man i love working my biceps with 12 oz. curls though :(

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Sean
sodium (water retention, but raises blood pressure, I think
Sodium doesn't necessarily raise blood pressure, but is not good for those that already have high blood pressure. If you drink enough water and balance with potassium you will be fine, the two work together to pump water in and out of cells (I think that's the right explanation) :D

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Bah, beer is bad, replace it with Kool- Aid...look what happens when we all drink Kool-Aid...

Attachments

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
whats everyones thoughts on drinking beer/liqour when trying to bulk or cut....or in general for that matter
how much or how little?

h19
How much or how little aren't the questions. The question is how optimally healthy do you want your body/lifestyle to be? If alcohol consumption is important to you then it's a tradeoff, no biggie. Enjoy. Otherwise, don't drink and know you're that much ahead.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

Im not sure I ever had it brother!

This is the problem:
ha...you gots to stop smoking them bowls my friend. ive said my views on beer/alchohol previously, however like to add that beer isnt good tasting for me. Never enjoyed the taste of most beer w/ few exception like fat tire and strongbow (more an ale/cider than beer). Nothing to brag about, but i prefer "girly" drinks and shot whenever i do have a few with the boys or females...(ie. LIT, fruity martinis and daquiris, buttery nipple,etc) Might be the only dude in the entire bar who orders a malibu with DIET coke. :D

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I see ya, and raise ya a few YJ :D

ManBeast

Attachments

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by ManBeast
I see ya, and raise ya a few YJ :D

ManBeast
MB? is that a pic you took yourself?? ;)

I'm just curious :)

LG. :cool:

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I think i set off the wrong example when I posted pictures of what I thought were dried up dandalions, so maybe we better stop posting pictures of bud since it is illegal ;)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Lifeguard

MB? is that a pic you took yourself?? ;)

I'm just curious :)

LG. :cool:

Nah, I sent him that pic from my stash. ;)

pjorstad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ive always been curious. Why are only the crystals on the expensive weed???

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
They indicate a high content of THC, so high that it can't be contained inside the plant and leaks out as a sappy resin, and in the curing process dries to form crystals, which are often refered to as "kif" if collected and sold.

ManBeast

labrad

Awards
  • Established
YJ, I kind of figured you were a burner.

To the original topic. I drink on occasion. When I do it is balls out.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
YJ, I kind of figured you were a burner.
I dont really smoke, I promise I jsut joke about it a lot, I get drug tested often at work not to mention getting stoned isnt too appealing to me......

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by YellowJacket

I dont really smoke, I promise I jsut joke about it a lot, I get drug tested often at work not to mention getting stoned isnt too appealing to me......
No worries YJ, I'll burn it for you :D