Infectious Mononucleosis

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I have MONO. :sick:

Sorry if I'm letting anybody down right now. I don't really get anything done. Just sleep all day and lay around when I'm not sleeping.

They say I can't do strenuous exercise for 30 days. :smite:

I'll be back. :)

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Hang in there Super.. I have been in your shoes.. just not recently..

fdnk

Board Supporter
Awards
Good luck man!!!! I've been there too - not fun.

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
There are some good TCM (trad. Chinese Medicine) herbal formulas for mono. Picking the right one depends on a correct diagnosis since there is no mono as a disease in TCM. The diagnosis is usually done through questioning, taking the pulse and looking at the tongue.

If you want, post or PM me your symptoms and I'll see if I can give you a diagnosis and then tell you which formula might fit your pattern. If you can't get the formula I could help out with that as well.

You have given alot to the boards and I'd like to offer some help.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
My throat never really got too bad. It's not too sore, no inflamation of the tonsils, no cough, ect.

I'm tired all the time, I don't really have much motivation. I always have a headache, though that's getting better over the past few days. My biggest symptom has been constant nausea. It's so bad that they gave me Zofran, which is a nausea drug that they generally only give to people going through chemotherapy. The lymph nodes in my neck have been pretty swollen, and for some reason my whole upper trapezius has been sore like I've been doing deadlifts everyday, but I haven't trained in weeks now. :rant:

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Hang in there brother. We'll still be here when you're ready. :thumbsup:

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
My throat never really got too bad. It's not too sore, no inflamation of the tonsils, no cough, ect.

I'm tired all the time, I don't really have much motivation. I always have a headache, though that's getting better over the past few days. My biggest symptom has been constant nausea. It's so bad that they gave me Zofran, which is a nausea drug that they generally only give to people going through chemotherapy. The lymph nodes in my neck have been pretty swollen, and for some reason my whole upper trapezius has been sore like I've been doing deadlifts everyday, but I haven't trained in weeks now. :rant:

Any help would be appreciated! :)
Any chills or fever? Night sweats? Any generalized aches? How is sleep? Are you rested in the AM and then get tired as the day goes on or do you drag ass all day from morning to night?

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I just went yesterday for a mono test....add this to my list of things yet my Dr seems to think that i have it to....the tired as hell, night sweats, chills, feeling puky ( although being on prednosone 100mg a day you eat alot even when your not hungry) and the swollen glands....I feel like the hunchback only in my neck.......and sore.....YOUCH...........Find out monday.......

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
well for some reason i have to wait till monday i am sure its due to having lupus and doing a whole work up since i was there.......:rasp:

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
dI thought I'd chime in with my experience. When I had mono, my Doc (who is also my Uncle and was rated one of the best in the state recently, so he knows what hes talking about) told me that generally there are two manifestations of the disease.

Personally, I got it really bad, throat swollen so I couldnt eat (had trouble breathing too), etc etc. I was on prednisone for 12 days, during which time I lost 15 lbs, most of it muscle (I went from benching 225x13-14 to x6 in about 15 days). However, my body returned to normal and I lost all symptoms (most notably the extreme lethargy) within 3 weeks of diagnosis.

The other general manifestation is the slow, gradual buildup in which people have the time to run themselves down. One of my friends got it this way. He didnt get the bad sore throat or really bad swollen lymph nodes, and played through an entire baseball season without knowing. By the time school ended and he got an official diagnosis, he had had it for around 2 months. It took him a good 6 months to rid himself of the tiredness and general symptoms youve described.

Although my case was short lived and quite extreme, it served me best because I did not end up pushing myself too hard. The majority of times you hear people really screwing themselves over with mono is when they get it like my friend; all the symptoms are not severe enough to warrant any immediate attention. They dont see the symptoms real bad and overdo it, prolonging the illness for months.

My best advice is to just rest like you are doing. Although you might hate what it is going to do/is doing to your body, if you try to work out and overexert yourself (which isnt hard with mono) you will just prolong it.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Well yesterday I thought I had it... I had 12 hours of sleep from the night before...

woke up around 1:00pm and felt like utter crap... the back of my head felt like it would explode, had nausea like a hangover (but i didnt even go out nor have anything to drink)... and i was EXHAUSTED...
as the day progressed it got worse... my knees started hurting really bad, my lower back was hurting really bad...
my tonsils got swollen the hell up... it hurts to swallow now, i got cold sweats on my spine, my hands were super clammy and i was running a hella-fever...

they wouldnt let me go home early from work either; pissed me off... especially being a server at a restaurant... i called in sick for this evening.
i'm feeling slightly better, much less nausea, still sweating like a lumberjack though.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Well I dont have mono......Just a full LUPUS flare up...........:(

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
SS you might want to get Lian Po Yin. From what you're describing (although some more info would be helpful) and what I can piece together from other descriptions of yourself, this formula should help.
From a TCM point of view you have "damp-heat in the muscles" so basically you want a formula that resolves dampnes, resolves heat and strengthens the spleen and calms the stomach.

Lian Po Yin (coptis and magnolia decoction)
Huang Lian (coptis) 5g
Huo Po (magnolia bark) 5g
Shan Zhi Zi (fructus gardeniae jasminoidis) 4g
Dan Dou Chi (semen sojae praeparatum) 5g
Shi Chang Pu (rhizoma acori graminei) 5g
Ban Xia (rhizoma pinelliae ternatae) 8g
Lu Gen (Rhizoma phragmitis communis) 8gr
Bai Zhu (rhizoma atractylodis macrocephalae)5 g

This would be thrown into a pot of boiling h2o (with about 6-9 cups of h2o) , covered, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and divide into 3 equal doses. Take 1 dose morning, another afternoon and another at night. Results should start being seen within a few days.

This is a formula for Super's symptoms and pattern. This is not a "mono" formula which everyone should put together. Different symptoms require different herbs since there are 6 patterns which could be considered "mono" and each has a different formula.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Whew... ended up being a viral infection of my tonsils :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 19