Anyone BF TOOLS

sctxms

Awards
Here at work they have a gadget that you enter your age and weight into. than you hold out in front of you and grip with both hands and it tells you your body fat. Is this thing accurate or just garbage?

pudgy

Awards
how the hell could it possibily work ? thier is no wat for it to measure folds, bmi, etc. i wouldnt think so, but i am far from an expert.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
It does it with electricity. It times how long the current takes to go from one side to the other. The theroy is that fat slows down the current, the more fat the longer it takes....I think their crap though. I did it once and it said I was 12% yet the 9 site meathod had me at 10% (Which is really what I was at the time).

sctxms

Awards
thanks that is what I was thinking too that depending on your muscle mass and hieght it would take longer if you were thicker than just an average build guy

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
1 fast has pretty nice calipers for around $25. They're worth it in the long run.

Andy2k

Awards
These things work on 'bio-impedence' , there's lots of variations around, including weighing scales which take the reading throught he soles of your feet, sticky pads which you place on either end of your body etc.

They measure the resistance and capacitance (impedence) of the body, and as the above post suggests, try to work out how much current etc is getting through,a nd do the calculations from there.
They fall flat on their face though, as the variables are just too great.
You are supposed to use them 'x' amount of time after/before eating/drinking, no alcohol blah blah blah, which effects the hydration of the body. Also, if you have particularly high resistance skin (resistance varies greatly between individuals) it will throw the readings out.

A few years back I tested with callipers and a bio-impedence machine.
The callipers came out around 12% If I remember correctly, and the bio-impedence registerd something like 19%. I was pretty lean at the time, and the person carrying the test out witht he bio-impedence machine, who was fairly experienced just looked at it and said 'I think we'll just ignore that!'

sctxms

Awards
Thanks for the info Andy I had mine done with the machine and put me at 18% which seemed high I will find out Monday were I am really at