anybody wear contacts

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about switching to contacts. I'm really tired of wearing glasses but I've heard some bad stories with contacts. Can anyone post thier experiences with them or have any opinions about either glasses or contacts.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i've been wearing contacts since 5th grade and i graduated college last year ... never have had an problems ... definitely prefer them 10000x over glasses, the difference in clarity is remarkable ... that said i'm going to get that laser eye surgery as soon as i can

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
i've been wearing contacts since 5th grade and i graduated college last year ... never have had an problems ... definitely prefer them 10000x over glasses, the difference in clarity is remarkable ... that said i'm going to get that laser eye surgery as soon as i can
I agree 100%. I've had contacts since 8th grade. The most noticeable thing is peripheral vision. With glasses you are forced into having tunnel vision. Contacts are the best, especially if your vision is very poor.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Been wearing glasses since I was 2....contacts since I was like 14 or so. I still wear my glasses in the evening, etc if I'm not going out or anything. And usually wear the glasses at least 2 days out of the week. You shouldn't wear contacts all the time as they can be bad for you. Oxygen needs to be let in and contacts will inhibit this from happening. I know a guy that had a ulcer on his eyes from wearing them too often, so there is definaltey a risk. But IMHO, it's very small and definatley worth it.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I have been wearing 2 week disposables for years. They are much thinner than traditional contacts, and therefore (purportedly) let more air to the eye, so you do less of this :blink:.

t_dot_porkchop

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i went from glasses in grade 9 to contacts in grade 11 and through university. then i switched back to glasses for work and contacts on weekends....until 2004.

i did laser eye correction in june 2004 and have never looked back.....it is AWESOME and i totally recommend you get it if you can afford it!

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
My wife switched to contacts about 2 years ago. She had to try a few different brands due to having some complications/reactions. She finally found a brand she can wear, and she loves them.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
contacts are sweet. Everything is High-Resolution. Amazing.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
been wearing contacts since 1980..no problems here, you do need to follow proper cleaning but the 2 week disposables are nice.Get some funky colors...change you eyes to some scary **** at halloween.

DarkAngel

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Been wearing contacts since I was in the 7th grade, now I'm 26, and I wouldn't choose glasses over contacts in a million years. (unless I just had to wear them for reading)

joshingyou

Awards
I wear Paragon CRT lenses. You put them in at night and take them out in the morning. It reshapes your eye so you don't need to wear glasses or contacts during the day.

Depending on your script it can take a few days or weeks until you're 20/20 or better. It can work up to -6.

After a while you can put them in less. Like if you wear them during the week nights you can skip the weekend. It's safer than laser surgery. If you stop wearing them your eyes just go back to normal. I Highly recommend them!

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
ok I got contacts and it is really freaky seeing things a little more clear without those things on my face. I do have astigmatism in my right so I got a toric lense and when I first put that one in everything is blurry as heck til it settles in and everyonce in a while it will turn slightly and everything goes blurry but they said thats normal for the first couple of days. They dont bother my eyes at all though, wow I can actually read tivo on my tv without my glasses. This is just freakin weird in a good way though. Also I have blue eyes and some people thought I got colored lenses cause they couldnt tell what color my eyes were through my glasses so far the chicks are digging it.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
ok I got contacts and it is really freaky seeing things a little more clear without those things on my face. I do have astigmatism in my right so I got a toric lense and when I first put that one in everything is blurry as heck til it settles in and everyonce in a while it will turn slightly and everything goes blurry but they said thats normal for the first couple of days. They dont bother my eyes at all though, wow I can actually read tivo on my tv without my glasses. This is just freakin weird in a good way though. Also I have blue eyes and some people thought I got colored lenses cause they couldnt tell what color my eyes were through my glasses so far the chicks are digging it.
Yeah you'll get used to the bluriness when blinking and stuff. Good to hear you like them. Just wait, soon you'll be catching yourself trying to push your glasses up on your nose and you won't even have them on...lol.

For some reason though, when I wear my glasses everything seems "bigger" in a sense vs. when I have my contacts in. This also goes for when I'm looking in the mirror when taking my weekly tape/caliper measurements. I just look even bigger for some reason.

t_dot_porkchop

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
After a while you can put them in less. Like if you wear them during the week nights you can skip the weekend. It's safer than laser surgery. If you stop wearing them your eyes just go back to normal. I Highly recommend them!
laser surgery is pretty safe though....

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the first contact experience is amazing, especially if your vision is very poor. I remember walking out of the house and being amazed to see individual blades of grass and leaves on trees instead of just green blurs. I remember the first time I played baseball with contacts actually seeing the seems on the ball (we were 13, so it wasn't moving that fast). It was quite trippy.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Guys you would not believe the difference contacts make. Vision is just one thing but people can see my eyes now and I've gotten some compliments how bright my eyes are now. I've gotten a few second looks from chics too. I guess I was always a bit self conscious about my glasses and its like contacts have given me a few years back. this is awesome

Yjyankee

More Cowbell
Awards
  • Established
I wear Paragon CRT lenses. You put them in at night and take them out in the morning. It reshapes your eye so you don't need to wear glasses or contacts during the day.

Depending on your script it can take a few days or weeks until you're 20/20 or better. It can work up to -6.

Tell me more about this please.. Will any eye Dr. know about this?

joshingyou

Awards
Tell me more about this please.. Will any eye Dr. know about this?
No, not all eye drs do this so check Paragon's website for referrals.

I tried glasses, soft contacts and looked into laser surgery. My vision isn't that bad and I would
be taking on 100% of the risks of it for only a fraction of the benefit. I mostly needed correction
for driving at night.

The CRTs are hard contact lenses. I find them easier to put on and take off than soft lenses. You
can keep them on for days because of their material. Depending on your correction it could take
a day or weeks to get to where you want to be. The longer you wear them, the longer it will "hold"
your correction. It doesn't hurt or itch or anything when you wear the lenses. I get a bit of haze around
the lens when I wear them. So you can see fine wearing them, but your best vision is when you take them off.

Cons:
It make take time to achieve your ideal vision
If you stop wearing them (I don't know why) but your eye glass prescription will be too strong until your eyes
adjust to normal. Example, If you're a -3D and you stop wearing them you'll be 0, -1, -2, etc.
Cost - runs $1000-1500 for the treatment. But this SHOULD include 2 sets of lenses, a full year of appointments
to adjust if needed.

After treatment with these I could read the 20/10 line on the eye chart.