Anatomy and Physiology buffs! - AnabolicMinds.com

Anatomy and Physiology buffs!

1. Board Supporter

Angry Anatomy and Physiology buffs!

For those who have and are taking this course. What is your method for understanding, identifying, and retaining information that is covered in textbooks. This class is pissing me off. I'm motivated in learning the stuff but I get one thing confused with the next such as Simple squamus...etc.
    What are your methods for getting this stuff to sink in bros? Do you use nemonics or what?

2. Advanced Member

Hmm, I learn stuff by writing it down over and over again. So for a test Ill usually write my notes 2 or 3 times over and thats when it usually sticks, good thing paper is cheap.
  3. Board Supporter

Kewl thanx mann... Every little bit helps.
    •   

4. New Member

that is good advice... I don't know any special tricks, but I suggest going to a quiet library room and reading the book and your notes over and over while quizing yourself in your head...

anatomy for me was basically a joke thanks to good ol state/public school lenient teaching and standards, I've yet to run into much at my current school (undergrad) that couldn't be taught to one's self on their own (and in less time usually).
  5. New Member

yeah, writing your notes over and over is a good idea.
    or get a blank diagram of the muscles veins bones ect and label them yourself.That worked for me, though it's bee about 4 semesters since i took it and have forgotten everything
  6. Banned

Asking yourself potential questions you think could be test material, but to be honest, in grad. school I related everything to something funny. I could give examples I guess, but you know what I mean.
  7. Senior Member

get VOCAL... repetition and speaking the words is in my estimate the best way to retain these things, and get a real feel for how you'll be utilizing these things in the future... repetition repetition repe.... yeah
  8. Board Supporter

Dude..relating things to A & P actually helps me out a lot. Shoot me a few that you can think of...
  9. Board Supporter

Thanx bros....
  10. Advanced Member

Well....I have not taken an anatomy class in quite a while, but thing that helped me was writing everything down and looking at it every day. This included making my own drawings and diagrams of certain structures, cell types (i.e. simple squamos, pseudostratified, columnar, cuboidal, transitional epithelium, etc.)....damn, I'm suprised I remember that...well, I guess it worked .

but yeah, making my own drawings helped me the most (especially when it came to the muscle filament sliding theory)

hope this helps
  11. New Member

Writing it down always was the best way for me, too.  I'm a CPA and that test is the king of hard tests (three 8-hour days).  Another way to help is, if you have access to a chalkboard, study out loud as if you were presenting the material.  It helps to have a "student" present so bring along your dog.  Good luck and don't give up on yourself, you'd be surprised how much you actually know already.
  12. New Member

yeah good call deconbill.

One of the best ways to learn something is to teach it. I'm at uni now but when I was in high school in maths (my worst subject) I sat next to this dumb kid who kept asking me questions. Because I had to explain everything to him I got high marks because I retained everything so well.
  13. Board Supporter

Awesome ideas bro's. I appreciate all of you help. In Psychology today we were talking about memory and effective techniques for remembering things. Writing information down continuously and using mnemonics was highly recommended by my instructor b/c there is a genuine association to something we already know.
    Thanx again fellas
  14. New Member

I'll go with DeaconBill and Maddogman here - imagine you're teaching it - you need to break it down into idiot language because your students are thick - say it out loud and use a dryboard/chalkboard etc - the info will stick to your brain like glue. Best of luck.
  15. Banned

Cool

Actually, I have a partially photographic memory, but what helps me, is to review RIGHT before you test. I mean the period or hour before.

And, it has been shown that the best 2 times to study are right before bed and right when you wake up. When you study before bed, your body will dream/think about the last thing that enters your mind. If you are saying the stuff in your head, more than likely your body will retain it. And in the morning your body is free of stress and thoughts and can retain more information better.

By the way, doing the skin sucks
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Human Anatomy and Physiology
    By David Dunn in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM
  2. Information Sites and Books (No Hunting Format)
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 08:13 AM
  3. Your Thoughts And Opinions on Keto Dieting??
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 12:12 AM
  4. Fina and 1-test
    By BrKonman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-26-2002, 12:54 PM
  5. will be posting before and after pics soon
    By hamper19 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2002, 10:38 AM