Ever wonder what 1500rwhp is like in an import?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. It'll be one F'ing fun week though!

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
nah it'll last a plenty long time... the motor is built to handle it
i'd trust its power holding capabilities over a similar domestic; like a 1200rwhp viper or 1000rwhp vette...
funny thing is there arent any domestics making this kind of power unless they are big cubic inch motors (like 8 liters+) kind of thing with way more money invested

181 cubic inches and a 6 cylinder ;) i want a supra so bad... but aint gonna happen for a long time

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
my brother has a 97 tt supra ... puts down over 500 at the rear wheels ...that's without an upgraded single turbo .. has a new larger fmic, and standard BPU along with a new fuel computer ...
the 2JZ -GTE is a STRONG iron block ... that thing's bottom end is one of the strongest ever made

Champ

Champ

Board Supporter
Awards
2JZ hogwash...How about the RB26DETT!? (joking)

I've read plenty where the stock block can handle upwards of 700 plus with proper tuning of fuel/air.

nas7

Board Supporter
Awards
I have been a passenger in that car with Markos older setup (still 1000hp mind you!). That thing is crazy. Chi town streetracing is where its at. I will be taking rides in this car in 4 weeks in Texas ;) ahh all the memories

BryanFury

Awards
What does a 500hp supra and a 1000hp supra have in common? They both run 12s.

Sorry, had to be said. Vid wouldn't load. Just remember kids, its average horsepower not peak that matters.

BryanFury

Awards
This car went 8.45@162mph 7 weeks ago ;) And will go 7's at this power.
Nice. Didn't want to come across as hating on imports, fast is fast. But in truth, it should be running faster with that kind of power. Not a fan of peaky motors.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Sorry, had to be said. Vid wouldn't load. Just remember kids, its average horsepower not peak that matters.

It depends. A supra is ment to be more of a race car than a drag car. Put that bitch on a straight away and I'd imagine it will hit waaaayyyy over 200. I knew a guy that claimed 235mph and his wasn't anywhere near the power of this guys car. Not to mention supras handle bends pretty damn well to.

rtm

rtm

Awards
The only race I ever lost was to a Supra. I had an 04 SVT Cobra with full exhaust, ported TB/Plenum, 2.8 R&R Pulley, K&N FIPK, Ported Eaton, and a custom dyno tune at a speedshop in Mooresville NC. The car put down 517 RWHP/504 RWTQ to the back wheels. It was a blast.

I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, sold it, and then bought an 03 Z06 Corvette. Bone stock, it wasn't as fast as the Cobra but was an all around more enjoyable car. It also got more attention.

Alas, three months after getting the Z06, I got hit with divorce papers and now drive a SportTrac.
Hell, at least it's paid for.

Anyways, the Supra's are some bad cars with the proper work.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
Im geting ready to add a supercharger to my 95 Taurus SHO . Probally right when it starts warming up here. It is pushing 300hp at the front wheels right now with a few mods. Its one of those cars you would never assume to be that quick with four doors and all. But I can say 145 down the interstate with a nice amount of pedal left was a rush. It should be nice when its finished

Manwhore

Awards
I love the tin cans on the import car exhausts. they're really cute :) Muscle cars are for real men only women drive 6 cylinders

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
hahahah Well I drive a 6 cyl. Ford body motor by Yamaha If you would like I can post the stats of my 6 and the same year mustang gt....lol

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I love the tin cans on the import car exhausts. they're really cute :) Muscle cars are for real men only women drive 6 cylinders
Why do you say that when a properly tuned supra will smoke pretty much any car on the road and the car can still be used as a daily driver. Unlike a muscle car that will get 2 miles to the gallon.lol . Also a ferrari or lamorghini will kick most cars asses. Don't get me wrong though I don't hate muscle cars. I like both and would love to have a shelby cobra.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
these engines are nice and all, but i'd much rather have a large block engine running comfortably than a dyno'd, turbocharged, 4-6 cylinder running with all it's got.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
properly tuned or highly modified? The supra was a heavy car weighing in at a little over 3400 lbs. and 0-60 in 6.6 seconds . It wont beat anyting on the road in stock form . I do think its a great car but far from the fastest

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
properly tuned or highly modified? The supra was a heavy car weighing in at a little over 3400 lbs. and 0-60 in 6.6 seconds . It wont beat anyting on the road in stock form . I do think its a great car but far from the fastest
True its not that quick stock but I beleive it has a pretty high top speed. If I remeber right it was 170mph.

BryanFury

Awards
Supras are great looking cars, and the afore mentioned engines are beasts, but like I said, peaky with max power coming at a high rpm. They have top end for days, which is why you don't race them from a roll off. The claim of 235mph may be a bit much though. Factor in gearing, weight, drag coefficient (drag increases exponentionaly at those speeds) and you'll see it takes way more than power to reach those kinds of speeds. Is it possible, yes, but in street trim? I'm not so sure.

Give me a 502 aluminum BBC n/a or with a roots setup any day. Easier to control out of corners and a fairly flat power band n/a and with the roots, you've got a beast of a drag car.

And to the post reguarding mpg, that supra isn't going to do any better than a muscle car with it running that level of boost. Just my two cents though...what do I know?

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
this is from MSN Auto pertaining to the 1997 supra turbo

The Supra Turbo is capable of sub-five-second 0-60 mph times and its top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established

yeah the 1000hp one just does over 200mph and gets there very very fast and also races hayabusas and wins :)

plus the 8 sec time it already ran as previously said ;)

running 12s with 500 or 1000hp has nothing to do with the power band (its not a pushrod domestic with a 6k rpm redline, the 1000hp cars usually have 9-10k redlines), it has to do with its IRS suspension setup and weight... supras are EXTREMELY hard to launch... my SC300 (supra chassis) was a bitch when i had the turbo on it.

Not a fan of peaky motors.
i understand where you're coming from but you're being a little too generalized here... power is not peaky in 3rd and 4th and 5th gear from the gear ratio selection in a supra... thats why they are quite the highway warriors and have many many times put to shame domestics making the same kind of power

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
yeah the non turbo MKIV did that...
the turbo version ran a 4.9 best 0-60 (some magazines got around 5.2-5.4) and ran the 1/4 mile in the mid 13s as tested by many magazines and fans alike... this was 11 years ago when the vettes were still trying to break out of the 14s and 5.0 mustangs were running 15s... little extra boost here, little downpipe and catback there, little tuning, and boom, 120mph traps no problem,cant do that with any of the other cars (almost can with a S/C Cobra tho)

btw without the 155mph limiter stock supras go over 170mph... BPU Supras run around 185-190

Im geting ready to add a supercharger to my 95 Taurus SHO . Probally right when it starts warming up here. It is pushing 300hp at the front wheels right now with a few mods. Its one of those cars you would never assume to be that quick with four doors and all. But I can say 145 down the interstate with a nice amount of pedal left was a rush. It should be nice when its finished
sorry dude, i'm not one to call BS very often, but i seriously doubt your SHO is making anywhere near that kind of power... my lexus that weighed a lot more than your SHO before it was turbocharged prolly put down maybe 170rwhp and would do 145mph...
but yeah, friend of mine here also concurs, 300whp with just a couple boltons is a crock of **** :) unless you're running nitrous or something...

BryanFury

Awards
yeah the 1000hp one just does over 200mph and gets there very very fast and also races hayabusas and wins :)

plus the 8 sec time it already ran as previously said ;)

running 12s with 500 or 1000hp has nothing to do with the power band (its not a pushrod domestic with a 6k rpm redline, the 1000hp cars usually have 9-10k redlines), it has to do with its IRS suspension setup and weight... supras are EXTREMELY hard to launch... my SC300 (supra chassis) was a bitch when i had the turbo on it.

i understand where you're coming from but you're being a little too generalized here... power is not peaky in 3rd and 4th and 5th gear from the gear ratio selection in a supra... thats why they are quite the highway warriors and have many many times put to shame domestics making the same kind of power
Saying powerband doesn't matter doesn't really make sense. They are hard to launch correctly because of the required rpms to launch into the powerband and have the turbo spooled. Yes, the suspension is also a factor.

There is quite a difference in launching a big block with a 5500rpm redline where power is available off idle and launching my corvette with a 7500 rpm redline. The same difference as my car and that supra. Like I said, I know better than running with a supra from a roll off if the car has any kind of respectable power. Im not putting it down at all.

It comes down to an apples to oranges comparison really. Just a matter of how much money your'e willing to throw at it. With a deep enough pocket, you can do just about anything. Would it smoke me in a quarter? Yep. Lke I said, no disrespect meant.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
my boy has a 4door sho (yamaha motor) with a turbo - 430whp,(dynoed)
i have been 160 in the bitch,with more to go! it is slammed and has a tuned susp, with 19's and i have to say that is the fastest 4 door i have driven,

i have to add that power is nothing without a driver, i can out drive most of my buddies and family in their own cars,(except in my brothers 9.48 all motor car) i outweigh him by 40 lbs, and trust me, it makes a difference in a dialed in car like that.

i smoke my cousin in his own sti, my friends zo6, and the list goes on,
i have beat 11 sec cars in 13 sec cars,

as far as the supra top speed, a buddy of mine, whom has a 1500rwhp 101mm nova, with an intercooler in the passenger floorboard,
said he had a auto TT (bone stock) and one night he punched it for like 2miles str8 and got it to 170 reading on his digital dash. while his wife was asleep.
He has no reason to lie,
so i dont doubt it one bit.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
Kelsey this is he second one I have owned. And bean you where right. It is not 300fwhp it is 300 at the flywheel . Dispute it all you want.

specs are as followed

started out with 220 hp from the factory.

Had motor completely Done to handle Supercharging at a local shop. including new pistons, crank, head, etc.

at that time had the following added to it

Highflow catback system with custom Y-Pipe
80 mm maff sensor
68 mm throttle boby
lightweight underdrive pullies
ExtrudeHoned Intake Runners
190 LPH Fuel Pump
LPM
BigBore Butterflies
Street HYPERformance Camshaft Kit

This alone was at least a 50hp 235 ft lbs TQ according to Sho Shop where the items where purchaced.

so even stopping here we are at 275 from stock form . This is not including what was done to the block

OH BUT WHAT THERES MORE...............Can you say nitrous???

So now if I concider a Supercharger and decide to go with the same company I purchased the above mentioned items. here is what I can expect with there Stage 1 kit.

Stage 1 kit will produce 355–360 HP and 290ft.lbs. of TQ at the wheels. This brings it up to 400hp at the flywheel ?

I would also like to add IM not some kid dreaming up a car I would love to own . I have owned everything from your basic highshool kids car to vettes and A F355 kit car with a 325 hp V8 in the back. When I decide what route I am going next I will be glad to get it on a dyno for all to see.

Do A google search on performance SHOs or check out some sites like shoforum.com or shotimes.com if you still dont belive. WHere are many people on this site who are pushing over 300 with there V6 SHO

It looks like alot of mods but minus the block work alot of the other items are bolt-ons :)

Thanks and have a great day

Last edited:
Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Cool car but I still prefer the Cuda on "Nash Bridges" anyday.

Manwhore

Awards
Hennessey Venom 1000TT Performance:
0-60 mph: 2.3 sec
0-100 mph: est 5.3 sec
1/4 mile: 9.52 sec @ 156 mph
Top Speed: est 250 mph .... As soon as i get the money,this baby is mine :)

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Forget all these cars. I got what you need:
A 1986 Peugeot complete with dented door, broken driver's seat, a year's a owrth of stashed garbage, and a broken SNES. This sweet little son of a bitch hits 75mph sometimes and leaks a quart of oil every 2 weeks.
C'mon pussies, who's gonna step up? (I can't wait till I get a mini van)

BryanFury

Awards
A 1986 Peugeot complete with dented door, broken driver's seat, a year's a owrth of stashed garbage, and a broken SNES. This sweet little son of a bitch hits 75mph sometimes and leaks a quart of oil every 2 weeks.
You win. :box:

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kelsey this is he second one I have owned. And bean you where right. It is not 300fwhp it is 300 at the flywheel . Dispute it all you want.

specs are as followed

started out with 220 hp from the factory.

Had motor completely Done to handle Supercharging at a local shop. including new pistons, crank, head, etc.

at that time had the following added to it

Highflow catback system with custom Y-Pipe
80 mm maff sensor
68 mm throttle boby
lightweight underdrive pullies
ExtrudeHoned Intake Runners
190 LPH Fuel Pump
LPM
BigBore Butterflies
Street HYPERformance Camshaft Kit

This alone was at least a 50hp 235 ft lbs TQ according to Sho Shop where the items where purchaced.

so even stopping here we are at 275 from stock form . This is not including what was done to the block

OH BUT WHAT THERES MORE...............Can you say nitrous???

So now if I concider a Supercharger and decide to go with the same company I purchased the above mentioned items. here is what I can expect with there Stage 1 kit.

Stage 1 kit will produce 355–360 HP and 290ft.lbs. of TQ at the wheels. This brings it up to 400hp at the flywheel ?

I would also like to add IM not some kid dreaming up a car I would love to own . I have owned everything from your basic highshool kids car to vettes and A F355 kit car with a 325 hp V8 in the back. When I decide what route I am going next I will be glad to get it on a dyno for all to see.

Do A google search on performance SHOs or check out some sites like shoforum.com or shotimes.com if you still dont belive. WHere are many people on this site who are pushing over 300 with there V6 SHO

It looks like alot of mods but minus the block work alot of the other items are bolt-ons :)

Thanks and have a great day
I can vouch for this, had the same year, and model. Fast car for a four door.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards

HAHAHAHAH sounds like something I had at one time. ...lmfao