Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't know exactly where to post this. Anyway, sometime last year or the year before I don't even remember I was diagnosed with this by my general practioner. I had been complaining of pain in my left knee. It only hurt when I moved it certain positions. Also it hurt really bad when I did squats. I just couldn't do them anymore, it felt like there was no cartilage just bone against bone. Anyone the doc said no impact type exercises, no squats, no running. I could do certain exercises though like leg presses and hack squat machine. The doctor also gave me a hand out that said no sudden changes in exercise. Well I was told I could do non-impact type stuff so I tried one of those eliptical machines in the gym one day. Nope that was a mistake, in pain again!. This was a month after I was diagnosed. Also I waited about 1 month and did squats and was fine. Well, a few weeks ago I decided to try sprints. Well it didn't hurt at first just felt kind of out of place, then it hurt but I kept doing it and eventually the pain disappeard. I stoped for a about 2 weeks recently and tried to go back and do it again last week, nope I couldn't do it pain again!. I've cut fat easily enough without cardio before so I guess I am stuck with just walking!. Anyway these past couple days I haven't even been doing any cardio or walking but it just starting hurting again!. It sucks!. Maybe its just stiff or something?. Most of the time I am not in pain at all though. Anyone elese have this problem?.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I have this as well, it sucks. I can't do squats anymore, can't do leg extensions. My leg developement forges on though. I was diagnosed about 1 year ago and the Doc who was a sports Doc told me there was nothing he could do. Others have told me otherwise though. He just said cortisone (sp?) was my only alternative. I told him to kiss my ass. LOL

They gave me a brace to wear specifically for pattella femoral pain syndrome but doesn't really help in the gym only when I run. Bottom line it sucks!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have this as well, it sucks. I can't do squats anymore, can't do leg extensions. My leg developement forges on though. I was diagnosed about 1 year ago and the Doc who was a sports Doc told me there was nothing he could do. Others have told me otherwise though. He just said cortisone (sp?) was my only alternative. I told him to kiss my ass. LOL

They gave me a brace to wear specifically for pattella femoral pain syndrome but doesn't really help in the gym only when I run. Bottom line it sucks!
Damn! You can run!. I mean I did do it for a while, but then took a week off and tried it again and I was in pain like hell that night and the day after. I say **** it, I'll just walk if I really want to do cardio!. It makes me happy though to know someone elese has the same problem as me!. I have been able to lose fat without cardio though no problem if I am not lazy planning my diet.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Damn! You can run!. I mean I did do it for a while, but then took a week off and tried it again and I was in pain like hell that night and the day after. I say **** it, I'll just walk if I really want to do cardio!. It makes me happy though to know someone elese has the same problem as me!. I have been able to lose fat without cardio though no problem if I am not lazy planning my diet.
Yeah I can run with the brace but since diagnosed I haven't went into an all out sprint so we'll see I guess. I can jog without pain though.

If anything it just makes us better at planning our cutting diet. Besides low intensity cardio is better for stripping fat anyway.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
thats one of the things that caused me to depart the military.. it is basically their way of saying they have no idea what is wrong with your knee ;) so I learned.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
sort of like 'bursitis' is medicalese for "your shoulder's fscked"?
(the actual meaning notwithstanding)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sort of like 'bursitis' is medicalese for "your shoulder's fscked"?
(the actual meaning notwithstanding)
Thats the truth, plain and simple. It goes away when you stop cardio. So you try to run and it starts to feel "out of place". Then at the end of the day it feels kinda tight but still out of place, so you keep doing the sprints..Then all of a sudden one day the pain comes back and you can't sleep that night because of it. Thats how it is in my case anyway. You have try all sorts of different things. Let me tell you all those machines that are suposedly "non-impact" don't help. I think I said in my earlier posts I have tried all those and they immediately made the symptoms come back!. Walking is all I can really do without fucking it up again.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Thats the truth, plain and simple. It goes away when you stop cardio. So you try to run and it starts to feel "out of place". Then at the end of the day it feels kinda tight but still out of place, so you keep doing the sprints..Then all of a sudden one day the pain comes back and you can't sleep that night because of it. Thats how it is in my case anyway. You have try all sorts of different things. Let me tell you all those machines that are suposedly "non-impact" don't help. I think I said in my earlier posts I have tried all those and they immediately made the symptoms come back!. Walking is all I can really do without fucking it up again.
Cardio I can get in, squats I can't do anymore :frustrate I loved squats. :sad:

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I also have this, and no more heavy squats for me. My knee kills if I walk up and down stairs too much, the only cardio I can do is light running and eliptical. I just do leg curls, leg presses. and light (405-425) sets of 20 rep squats. I will continue lifting in powerlifting events though, I think I can handle maxing out every couple of months.