secure email accounts are not secure

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
Contrary to poular belief Hushmail/Cyber-Rights accounts are NOT anonymous accounts. They are what you call psuedoanonymous, and email can be traced back to the original sender. Private, to an extent, but not anonymous. They are the equivalent of Yahoo or Hotmail accounts as far a anonymity is concerned. For those that don't know these accounts have a back door. As far as I know the court order is still classified so you won't find any info publically available. Open PGP has a backdoor of it's own and it's been there since version 7.0. Hushmail also keeps logs of user activity and IP addresses.

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
What about ziplip? Or are there services you suggest?

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
As far as I know the company that runs Hush and CR is located in Scotland or Ireland, so search warrants from an American entity wouldn't be enough to gain access to them. Not saying that Scotland or Ireland wouldn't comply, but it wouldn't be as easy as gaining access to an American based service. I honestly doubt they would go through the trouble to catch someone buying some bottles of test or whatever, but if you sell it....................

Greenguy

Awards
  • Established
I spent years in the Navy working in the Cryptographic field and I suspect these orgs are just fronts for the NSA, whose mission it is to intercept and analyze message traffic.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
I spent years in the Navy working in the Cryptographic field and I suspect these orgs are just fronts for the NSA, whose mission it is to intercept and analyze message traffic.
What a government we have...

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Now that is a paranoid theory!

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
That's a theory I also subscribe to, but not with Hushmail, more likely the mixmaster network is somewhat compromised. Serious Operatives conducting serious dealings don't use services like Hush, it's fundamentally insecure by the very fact that they have possession of one's private PGP key.

The best way to hide recipent/sender data and message content is to use programs like Jack B Nymble to post through the mixmaster network, and use self encrypted messages/attachments.That's not 100% secure ,but damn near.

If one was to alternate the initial mailgate for entry into the network, on the assumption that the network has a compromised relay or two, and connect from alternating anonymous points like Kinkos, libraries, Internet cafes, etc. one would be virtually untraceable.I say virtually, cause Death and Taxes are the only 100% sure things I know of. Even if the NSA is running one or many of the mixmaster relays, they don't give a damn about Anabolics and they don't readily share info they've picked up with anyone.

It's my opinion that the NSA can't crack properly done encryption,and I do not mean RSA's PGP, and the Justice Department certainly can't.The sender/receipent data may be catchable, but the content can be unreadable by anyone if one really knows encryption.

This is a complex subject, beyond the scope of a discussion here. Most people would do well to incoroporate their own encryption into their use of services like Hush or other emailers.
Well said.
Put like that I can certainly see the possiblity.