Health insurance BS!

rphash49

Awards
My health insurance provider states that at a person at 5'10 should only weigh between 132-173 WTF. I currently weigh 200lbs and I'm the healthiest I've been 15 years. My bp is 109/69, cholesterol is great, bf is sub 11%. I eat great and I work out 5-6 times a week. Because of my weight they assume I'm unhealthy and my cost will go up. BS!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
My health insurance provider states that at a person at 5'10 should only weigh between 132-173 WTF. I currently weigh 200lbs and I'm the healthiest I've been 15 years. My bp is 109/69, cholesterol is great, bf is sub 11%. I eat great and I work out 5-6 times a week. Because of my weight they assume I'm unhealthy and my cost will go up. BS!
thats because they are outdated as fuk and go by the bmi scale

rphash49

Awards
thats because they are outdated as fuk and go by the bmi scale
I've got till the end of march to get my weight down. Good reason for a cut cycle I guess. I will get a little bit of a break if I can get it below 193 which should be pretty easy but I'm still not happy about paying more than someone sub 173.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Haha man that sucks... My brother in law was in the same boat as you, he went from 220 to 180 to cut down his insurance costs. I don't know how long it took him to do it but I know he was dieting pretty hard to lose that weight especially once he got below 200.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yup. Same here. BMI scale. Says I'm overweight. At 6'9" the average weight for someone my size is 190lbs.

WTF. I'd look like a toothpick.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had the same issue at 5'6" and 162 lbs. I called them and explained that I'm bodybuilding and BMI is a load of crap. They changed requirement from BMI to waist size under 40". Call them and explain your situation.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had the same issue at 5'6" and 162 lbs. I called them and explained that I'm bodybuilding and BMI is a load of crap. They changed requirement from BMI to waist size under 40". Call them and explain your situation.
6'9"
255lbs
31" waist
BMI: 27 (overweight)
They used an electrical impedance machine on me instead. Said I was 19% body fat. Still ovetweight.

It was a depressing day. I smashed carbs and then smashed weights. Epic motivation.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've got till the end of march to get my weight down. Good reason for a cut cycle I guess. I will get a little bit of a break if I can get it below 193 which should be pretty easy but I'm still not happy about paying more than someone sub 173.

After oct 1st (last tuesday), they can't even ask you about weight anymore.

rphash49

Awards
They did on Oct 3rd. Maybe they didn't read that part of the new rules

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
They did on Oct 3rd. Maybe they didn't read that part of the new rules

Then inform them of the law and switch carriers. And find out if you qualify for a subsidy to help pay for it.

rphash49

Awards
Then inform them of the law and switch carriers. And find out if you qualify for a subsidy to help pay for it.
It's employer supplied insurance I can't switch it. If I opted for Obamacare the cost would be twice as much. And I make to much money for a subsidy. I did call them. I found out I just have to get a physical proving my waist is less than 40in.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bingo. Mine works the same way - I did get flagged for my weight, but I got compensated because not only was my waist measured well under 40" but apparently one of the options I was able to choose under what I plan to do to lose weight was "I have a muscular build and low bodyfat." I actually felt slightly pleased with my insurance company for recognizing some flaws with BMI.