personal training certification

pistol345

pistol345

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone. I'm interested in becoming a certified personal trainer. I've been training and researching on my own for a couple years now and I've made incredible gains and changed my body and life for the better. I've been working at a gym for the last 18 months and totally immersed myself in exercise. I've trained a couple of my buddies and gotten them into the best shape of their lives and I feel confident that I can succeed as a PT.
I'm getting ready to move to TN to attend college, and I'm hoping I can find work as a CPT. There are a ton of different 4 letter organizations that will certify you, and my local YMCA is offering a 3 day personal training course with the AFAA. Anybody have any experience with the AFAA, and will I be able to find a job with their certification?

Seems like a 3 day course wouldn't provide enough info to create a true CPT, but I feel comfortable with the knowledge I already have.

Thoughts/ opinions?

Thank you in advance

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Hey man the three day course is a great entry level cert, I did something similar I got the NASM book and halfway through studying got my NESTA cert as a pre test of sorts. It will get you on the board as well. People love to see trainers who have a few different certs, it will make you look more credible. IMO a collage degree in kinesiology is a waist of money if you are just going to do personal training, if you are going into physical therapy or sports medicine that is a different story.

pistol345

pistol345

Awards
  • Established
Hey man the three day course is a great entry level cert, I did something similar I got the NASM book and halfway through studying got my NESTA cert as a pre test of sorts. It will get you on the board as well. People love to see trainers who have a few different certs, it will make you look more credible. IMO a collage degree in kinesiology is a waist of money if you are just going to do personal training, if you are going into physical therapy or sports medicine that is a different story.
Okay cool. I'm not looking to do it for a career or anything. Just looking to make some money off my knowledge while I'm in school for music.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Dude if you have the knowledge go for it, you can make your own hours and that's the best part about it. The three day class is probably going to teach you stuff you already know but they will teach you how to teach others properly and they will explain the "why" behind a lot of things which will make selling the PT super easy.

pistol345

pistol345

Awards
  • Established
Dude if you have the knowledge go for it, you can make your own hours and that's the best part about it. The three day class is probably going to teach you stuff you already know but they will teach you how to teach others properly and they will explain the "why" behind a lot of things which will make selling the PT super easy.
That's great info. Thanks a lot man!

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Not a problem man if you ever have any questions or need help with the sales of PT feel free to pm me and I will be happy to lend a hand. I used to do sales for a bigger chain gym and had some decent success doing it. Good luck