Tyson knocks out Etienne in 49 seconds

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- There is still some badness left in Iron Mike after all.

In desperate need of a devastating win, Mike Tyson got just that Saturday night, flattening Clifford Etienne with a savage right hand reminiscent of Tyson in his prime.

Etienne was knocked flat on his back in the middle of the ring and he lay there as referee Bill Clancy counted him out only 49 seconds into the scheduled 10-round fight.

Tyson then leaned over and helped Etienne to his feet as the crowd at the Pyramid arena erupted in glee at the sudden ending to a fight that seemed like it would never happen.

Fighting in the same ring where Lennox Lewis gave him a beating last June, Tyson went right after Etienne, who cooperated by standing in front of him and throwing punches back.

It proved a mistake when Tyson threw a right hand that landed flush on Etienne's jaw and sent him sprawling to the canvas.

Attachments

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
don king payed this guy to take a dive for publicity

is that a tatto on mike tysons face???

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Yea, thats the tat he got....

That guy was a bitch, he was a thug, thugs cant box, I knew Tyson would rip his ass in the 1st round.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
He's on ESPN right now. What a bitch..he said, I feel cheated. The espn guy said... 6 million dollars for 49 seconds?? and he said Yeah, I trained really hard... pshhh

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I would feel cheated too....training all that time for a fight, looking ahead towards future fight and you knock some pussy out in 49 seconds? Thats not even worth the jet lag to Memphis.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Etienne threw the fight. He consciously removed the mouthpiece from his mouth when he was knocked down. He got up around 11 and showed no ill effects from the punch after. Was his head cleared that quickly? It was a legitimate punch, I just feel that Etienne took the back door, he got knocked down and thought it easier to not get up, a real heartless pussy.

DarCSA

Awards
Glad I didn't pay to see it. That is a worthless amount to be paid for 49 seconds. Wonder what the revenue was for this fight.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
The guy had only lost once before... I wonder if he really did throw it... I mean, if I was a boxer, I would love to get a chance to fight Tyson.. Well, either way, he goes home with his check

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
it was ass bottom line. didnt even get to finish the 24 pack with the boys or the dips&chips man. oh, and tyson's baby boy....he pretty ugly man (ha) Sage

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Etienne has a tendency to go down -- seven times in one fight alone -- and was selected as an opponent because of his weak chin and lack of elusiveness.

Here are some quotes from the Tyson taken after the fight

"I've got issues I've got to deal with," Tyson said. "I'm in pain and I've got some serious demons I am fighting."

"Maybe I'm just a domesticated animal," Tyson said.

"I like doing other things," Tyson said in a rambling post-fight press conference. "I like getting high, hanging out with my kids, I like drinking. I like doing other things."

Basically, this whole fight was a joke. Before the Tyson fight was Tonya Harding and some other chick. Read the rest here
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/boxing/news/2003/02/22/tyson_etienne_ap/

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Man my grandmother could have taken that punch and gotten up. What did you all expect? Something real? It was a Don King production for christsakes! He knows that if he can move Tyson up the standings to maybe a Championship fight then he'll rake in millions no matter who wins. This guy is the worst thing ever to happen to boxing.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I watched the replay a bunch of times... that was quite a production... Even Tyson after the fight was like...damn, I need more rounds... I can't fight a guy like Lewis and expect to knock him out in the first round...

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I forgot to add that Tyson mentioned his back was "broken."