Crossfit Elevation Masks...

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Seeing people wearing these things at my gym lately just has me so pissed off that I felt the need to start a thread about it. The following statements are copied from my new log located here> http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/227083-palmfist-taking-finaflex.html

Ok so I have done some research on these crossfit masks... Here are some statements made by the company...

1. Training Mask cuts down the amount of oxygen that gets to your lungs, and by doing so allows you to be better prepared for high intensity scenarios. If your lungs become acclimated to training with low oxygen levels, then your energy levels are increased during normal oxygen intake.

Fukking retarded. As I said acclimatization takes a LONG TIME and the conditions must remain constant otherwise there is nothing to acclimate towards...

2. The pulmonary resistance provided by Training Mask strengthens your diaphragm and increases the surface area/elasticity of the alveoli. The mask can be used during running/cycling as well as circuit training or other workouts. Bottom line is Training Mask increases your lung capacity by making your lungs work 9x as hard to get sufficient oxygen.

Where is the proof these masks support any of these claims? Especially "increases SA of the alveoli"!!! Ha that makes me laugh hard. I found a few BB's who put it nicely, saying that any person wearing one of these masks is an idiot you can make do anything. The marketers who made this shyt did a great job convincing idiots to wear this shyt and making them believe it actually improves training. They also claim to increase RBC count, which is also a biologically stupid statement. The only thing I believe these masks are good for is for lactic acid threshold training. But even for that you don't need some ridiculous looking mask, just hit the shyt hard with high reps/volume and take 0 breaks between sets. These masks are the single most retarded thing I have seen in the gym for 2012-2013. Shyt, Ive trained in gas masks before for Marine training and it sucks, why someone would do it intentionally and believe they are "elite" is beyond me. At least with gas mask training in the military/police/fire/rescue there is a purpose, so we can simulate a situation that necessitates using a mask and be prepared for how it may hinder certain physical activities as well as just plain get in the way. This is just a really dumb idea that has apparently had some great marketing...

..............................................................................................................................................................................

And now I found this which pretty much says everything Ive been saying but with more research and evidence. These masks are complete BS! Please read the below link and tell any of your friends that are using these ridiculous things to shut up, throw that shyt away, and just train harder...http://ericwongmma.com/mma-training-...legit-or-hype/

:bsflag:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
These are not solely crossfit. They've been around in one for or another for a long time. MMA fighter Anderson Silva at times has trained breathing through a snorkel for the same purpose.

And even if it only helps make a person more mentally tough in being able to push themselves wouldn't you say progress was made?

I don't wear them, as you've said, I get to train in gas masks emough as it is.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Like I told montego, more power to you if you wear one, I guess. But no matter what they still look completely ridiculous and bear no scientific evidence to substantiate the claims they make. All they technically do is make you perform at a weaker physical state. I think perhaps there was a lot of BROSCIENCE being thrown around with them at one point, some of the more hardcore athletes drank that cool aid and then it trickled down to the rest of consumers. Many people buy whatever gear their favorite athlete wears. It wasn't their fault, they didn't know, but now that we do doesn't it make sense to stop buying into the hype?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wrote a blog about how these are mainly hype back in 2011.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd love to write a thesis or research paper on this topic...
I'm not sure if there is enough data out there to write a thesis on it, but you could definitely fill a 15-20 page paper.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I'm not sure if there is enough data out there to write a thesis on it, but you could definitely fill a 15-20 page paper.
Def a 20 pager. Completely doable
:beerchug:

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I'd love to write a thesis or research paper on this topic...
Why waste time writing a senseless paper on a senseless topic based on a senseless product? It doesn't make sense ;-)

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Why waste time writing a senseless paper on a senseless topic based on a senseless product? It doesn't make sense ;-)
ROFL

Got me good you fugger... Hardy-har-har!

Xfit10

Xfit10

Awards
Crossfitter check in....would never wear one of those stupid masks!