Thank You.. it looks like a good read.

napalm

napalm

Awards
That
Is
Freaking
Awesome

My 12 yr old daughter started coming to the gym with me a few months ago. I had her start squatting w the bar and she's up to 75 lbs now w perfect form. I'm trying to get the point across to her that strength comes from within. The older she gets, the more of a role model I'm trying to be for her. It's not always easy, but I'm trying...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That
Is
Freaking
Awesome

My 12 yr old daughter started coming to the gym with me a few months ago. I had her start squatting w the bar and she's up to 75 lbs now w perfect form. I'm trying to get the point across to her that strength comes from within. The older she gets, the more of a role model I'm trying to be for her. It's not always easy, but I'm trying...

Good for you!

We are powerfull, significant, influencial and destiny to our children. All we have to do is own it and step up to it. We create and (are to) cultivate our children. If we do not cultivate what we create (our garden) it will sprout weeds and kill out the fruit (spirtually and mentally healthy children).

My oldest daughter who is 24yo is training with a pro female IFBB to compete in a fitness competition. Watching her apply disciplines that she has watched me practice is such a blessing. I never set out to be that influence but in hindsight and recent insight into my innate influence in her life I am amazed to see so much of myself in her now. My hope is that the wisdom of my life outweighs the folly so she doesn't have to struggle with the ignorance that come with youth like I did.

napalm

napalm

Awards
so she doesn't have to struggle with the ignorance that come with youth like I did.
Truer words have never been spoken

And congrats on your daughter getting ready to compete, but the forum would be disappointed if I didn't put this out there:

This thread is useless without pics!

:)

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My hope is that the wisdom of my life outweighs the folly so she doesn't have to struggle with the ignorance that come with youth like I did.
That's every parents hope, but unfortunately some things they are destined learn for themselves..IMO

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a great read DD, and although the religious component is lost on me....the overall theme is tremendous and thank you

My daughter will be 10 very soon, so this rings true

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
great post here i agree it makes a huge difference

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the read, especially since I have a little girl now.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My last non-adult child is my 11yo daughter so it (daughters) has been a focal point for me these last few years.

Here is pdf preview of one study (material) that I have participated in:
Raising a Modern Day Knight

You can find it here at Amazon Raising a Modern Day Knight

Here is a transcript of a study by the same author: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/general-chat/117388-mens-fraternity-quest-3.html#post2037264

My boss read this book and helped to change the way he interacts with his son in a very positive way!

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great thread. Although, not a father yet, my dad had and continues to have a profound effect on my life. He's my best friend through and through.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great read wow!!!! Best read I've seen in a lot time Dunn great job...I have a 2.5 year old and I teared up a bit

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Truer words have never been spoken

And congrats on your daughter getting ready to compete, but the forum would be disappointed if I didn't put this out there:

This thread is useless without pics!

:)

image-378534945.jpg

My love^^^^^

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great thread. Although, not a father yet, my dad had and continues to have a profound effect on my life. He's my best friend through and through.

I lost my father when I was 20 to cancer. You never truly get over it, you just get used to it. That was part of the reason I try to be so active with my daughter

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I lost my father when I was 20 to cancer. You never truly get over it, you just get used to it. That was part of the reason I try to be so active with my daughter
Totally agree and sadly my father is still around but I don't speak with him...he made my life a living hell with many type of abuse growing up along with him being a constant drug addict but my grandfather is my father figure and I love him dearly and will be devastated when he goes

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear you man. My dad is not in the greatest condition these days and it weighs on me heavily. I've looked up to my father since I was a child. He immigrated here, worked 3 jobs, received an education and managed to achieve so much, with so very little, and still found time to spend with me. To this day, I'm not even sure how he did it, how he was able to balance it all.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hear you man. My dad is not in the greatest condition these days and it weighs on me heavily. I've looked up to my father since I was a child. He immigrated here, worked 3 jobs, received an education and managed to achieve with so little, and still found time to spend with me. To this day, I'm not even sure how he did it, how he was able to balance it all.
Agreed. My father was a relatively uneducated immigrant who worked 7 days a week. But yet, we always had time to lift together. Part of the reason I push as hard as I do with lifting, my career and with my daughter. Not a day goes by I don't miss him, but I always know he would be quite proud of any success and hard work I have m

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Totally agree and sadly my father is still around but I don't speak with him...he made my life a living hell with many type of abuse growing up along with him being a constant drug addict but my grandfather is my father figure and I love him dearly and will be devastated when he goes
I am sorry to hear that. Although I sympathize l, as I haven't spoken to my mother in a long time. It is very sad.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. My father was a relatively uneducated immigrant who worked 7 days a week. But yet, we always had time to lift together. Part of the reason I push as hard as I do with lifting, my career and with my daughter. Not a day goes by I don't miss him, but I always know he would be quite proud of any success and hard work I have m

I could totally see how guys, especially if they are close to their fathers, lose themselves a bit after that's been taken out of their lives. I think I'd be a mess, admittedly.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see my oldest daughter posting things on facebook about how "I am her inspiration" (she is training to compete), "I'm becoming my Dad", "I know where I get my quads from" or "my Dad raised us like such and such" and I am amazed at how influential I was and I was a kid myself doing the only thing I could - the very best I could because I was clueless because my father failed in that capacity. So to know that as incompetant and incapable as I was as a child raising a child I have fruits that are so sweet to the taste. It is surely a blessing to her as well.

Now with my 11yo I see how much I am able to mold (or break) her spirit or character. It is something that has me horrified and rejoicing at simultaniously. Everything about her is putty in my hands. What an honor and a privilege there is in parenting a daughter.

These little victories that I am fortunate to see may just save me from the impending mid-life crisis that is characteristic of a man my age. ;)

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see my oldest daughter posting things on facebook about how "I am her inspiration" (she is training to compete), "I'm becoming my Dad", "I know where I get my quads from" or "my Dad raised us like such and such" and I am amazed at how influential I was and I was a kid myself doing the only thing I could - the very best I could because I was clueless because my father failed in that capacity. So to know that as incompetant and incapable as I was as a child raising a child I have fruits that are so sweet to the taste. It is surely a blessing to her as well.

Now with my 11yo I see how much I am able to mold (or break) her spirit or character. It is something that has me horrified and rejoicing at simultaniously. Everything about her is putty in my hands. What an honor and a privilege there is in parenting a daughter.

These little victories that I am fortunate to see may just save me from the impending mid-life crisis that is characteristic of a man my age. ;)
Great post Dunn I hope I can be as influential on my daughter...tomorrow we will be finding out if our 2nd child is a boy or a girl so that's exciting

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Good thread Dunn. I have not have the privilege of having any children yet but we do have plans and quite honestly it scares the **** out of me but on that note I really can't wait for the day to come.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Dr. Meg Meeker.
All dads should read this but unfortunately you only need to pass a test to drive a car...
She wrote one for mothers as well that I bought my wife.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, she is and she has. She makes her father proud.

Thanks!

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Your daughter is very lucky to have a father who takes his responsibility as seriously as you do.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Yeah, cool stuff. I'm fortunate that I don't work weekends or all summer. I make sure to tell my daughters how most dads we know work all the time, travel, and aren't home to cook/any/bedtime stories.
And as a teacher, clearly I don't make that much money. But I have tons of time with my family which is worth more than any income.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Our family understands that because I am an "underachiever" in my career ambitions I work reasonable hours for a reasonable salary which provides a reasonable lifestyle (reasonable today is roof, food and clothes). The downside is that I do not have the lifestyle of one who is very invested in creating a more wealthy and comfortable and luxurious lifestyle. The upside is that I am able to invest myself into my family.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Our family understands that because I am an "underachiever" in my career ambitions I work reasonable hours for a reasonable salary which provides a reasonable lifestyle (reasonable today is roof, food and clothes). The downside is that I do not have the lifestyle of one who is very invested in creating a more wealthy and comfortable and luxurious lifestyle. The upside is that I am able to invest myself into my family.
yep, my philosophy exactly. My brother who makes $200k is tied to his crack Berry 24/7. Works all holidays and is basically on call forever. He's a hotel manager but doesn't get to see his kids much.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Always have to find the balance. When I got a big promotion a few years back, I made the deal with my wife that work stays just there not at home. So in essence, while at work I work like crazy and that allows me to be at "home" with my daughter. The balance is so necessary. Daughters truly need their fathers influence m

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Wow Sir. So do you design her training? What about school athletics? The boys come knockin all the time, I bet.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No. Unfortunately she lives about 2000 miles from me with her husband in Savannah GA. She hired an IFBB female trainer. She always calls her Dad for advice ;)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No. Unfortunately she lives about 2000 miles from me with her husband in Savannah GA. She hired an IFBB female trainer. She always calls her Dad for advice ;)
Absolutely awesome. That truly is what all of us fathers should strive for.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Thanks for the links guys, I'm a single dad to my 6 year old daughter, and I'm trying really hard to get my act together for her and mentoring for when she gets older.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While this clip is a mother's account of her own realization during parenthood, the same aspects are certainly applied with any father. Someone sent this to me a few months back. Being a dad to a beautiful little girl myself, this really hits home. It's all of those "ordinary days" that sum up the whole in the end. Enjoy every day. Worth the watch:

mustang0341

mustang0341

Awards
All men whether they are fathers of daughter or not should read this book. If you are a husband this can even help you with your wife/wives.

This is a really good book!! I read when my wife was pregnant with my now 22month old daughter!! I feel so strongly about this book that I buy a copy for every father to be that I know. Getting ready to deliver another book to my brother-in-law as well. I know too many girls/women that have issues that are a direct result of their relationship(s) with their fathers. I never put the two together until reading this book though.