Co-workers and family concerned about weight

colby710

Awards
I have been eating extremely clean for about 3 months now. My starting weight was 185lbs. I am 5'10", and I was overweight and getting round. I started eating right and every 3 hours, and as of today I am down to 168. My initial goal was 170, and after surpassing it I wanted to go further because I liked the way my body was looking.

I am enjoying eating clean, and I usually eat one cheat meal (usually dinner) a week. My coworkers and family have expressed concern that I do not eat enough and I look "too thin." My caloric intake is usually around 1400-1500 a day. I have expressed to my coworkers and family that this is what a body looks like on a clean diet, and I am getting adequate nutrition.

Additionally, I lift weights 2x a week and do cardio 2-3x depending on work schedule.

I have made some drastic changes and my body composition has changed quite a bit as a result. Clothes are baggy that used to be tight, and my face is smaller. Should they be concerned based on the information given or are they overreacting?

I want to see my abs, but I don't want to look like a crack-head to do this...

Thanks for your input and suggestions!

colby710

Awards
What range would you suggest? I know from calculating, I need 2050 to maintain my current weight.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hard to say without knowing your activity level.

But at your height and weight if you don't have visible abs then I am willing to bet that you don't have an appreciable amount of muscle mass and could do well with a lean bulk.

I am an inch shorter at the same.weight and eat nearly 4k a day.

colby710

Awards
Oh wow...yeah...I am definitely not in that range. I would say that I have a moderate activity level. Lifting 2x a week and cardio 2-3x. I have calculated that I want to lose a pound per week, and I have been doing that successfully.

I can see my top set of abs, and in doing so I want to get the rest as defined as possible. I would say I have a good bit of muscle mass, but this is my first cut. I have not lost any strength on my diet according to my log. But is not losing strength a good indicator of a healthy cut?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh wow...yeah...I am definitely not in that range. I would say that I have a moderate activity level. Lifting 2x a week and cardio 2-3x. I have calculated that I want to lose a pound per week, and I have been doing that successfully.

I can see my top set of abs, and in doing so I want to get the rest as defined as possible. I would say I have a good bit of muscle mass, but this is my first cut. I have not lost any strength on my diet according to my log. But is not losing strength a good indicator of a healthy cut?
At 5'10" 168 I would recommend a bulk. If you cut anymore you will probably look like a Holocaust survivor.

colby710

Awards
I appreciate your advice, and I will begin to look further into a lean bulk.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I appreciate your advice, and I will begin to look further into a lean bulk.
I normally start at 3-500 above maintenance and adjust based upon the weight gain and the mirror results.

But then again I'm always lean bulking and haven't legitimately cut once.