• Start date
Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My brother called me asking for money and it got me thinking, am I crazy?

He has a near full time job, I'm sure making between 8-9/hr. how does he not have money?!?!? I hear this from other people about raising minimum wage etc that are my age. Is there something wrong with my math?

Monthly Bills
Student loans : $462.75
Rent/Utilities: $300
Medical Insurance : $97.55
Car insurance: $50
Gas: $150

That totals at just over $1,000/month in bring home pay. As you can see my student loans were the bulk of my bills. I lived like this for months & had medical insurance (which again most people don't. Gotta have that iPhone!)

Am I crazy for telling my brother to figure it out? Is there a heart inside my chest or just an old frozen black coal-ish looking thing in there?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Costs are through the roof. $300 for rent? Where i that, I am ready to move. Lol

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My brother called me asking for money and it got me thinking, am I crazy?

He has a near full time job, I'm sure making between 8-9/hr. how does he not have money?!?!? I hear this from other people about raising minimum wage etc that are my age. Is there something wrong with my math?

Monthly Bills
Student loans : $462.75
Rent/Utilities: $300
Medical Insurance : $97.55
Car insurance: $50
Gas: $150

That totals at just over $1,000/month in bring home pay. As you can see my student loans were the bulk of my bills. I lived like this for months & had medical insurance (which again most people don't. Gotta have that iPhone!)

Am I crazy for telling my brother to figure it out? Is there a heart inside my chest or just an old frozen black coal-ish looking thing in there?

What about the car bill?. You just have insurance down there, also Rent/Utilites $300?. Really? Dang, that is insanely low!. Gas I would say is at least 200 maybe $250. What about Internet/Phone?. Electricity?. Food?. You left a lot out. Eight to Nine dollars an hour?. That would have been ok maybe 15 years ago.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Costs are through the roof. $300 for rent? Where i that, I am ready to move. Lol
I had a roommate, it was a 2 bedroom apt. I had the small room so I paid slightly less. Unless you're in a large city, this is an extremely avg price.

Even here in fresno,CA you can find 2 bedroom apt for <$700/month without much problem. Not the nicest area but extremely do-able.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you lowballed a lot of your estimates, especially rent/utilities. Mine is triple that and I live in a very modest area.

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards
Lending money to your brother is like when you were in jr high and asked some girl you knew that kind of liked you to borrow a quarter when you both know that it means i have no intention of paying you back but it just sounds "more better"

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had a roommate, it was a 2 bedroom apt. I had the small room so I paid slightly less. Unless you're in a large city, this is an extremely avg price.

Even here in fresno,CA you can find 2 bedroom apt for <$700/month without much problem. Not the nicest area but extremely do-able.
Man. I'm living in the wrong part of the country. The average income must be a lot lower though.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about the car bill?. You just have insurance down there, also Rent/Utilites $300?. Really? Dang, that is insanely low!. Gas I would say is at least 200 maybe $250. What about Internet/Phone?. Electricity?. Food?. You left a lot out. Eight to Nine dollars an hour?. That would have been ok maybe 15 years ago.
No cable/Internet. The rent/utilities were lump'd together. I had a roommate also

$250 for gas? Where the heck are you driving?!?!? Gas is 3.50/gal and round trip is about 60mi/day and I don't pay close to that.

No car payment bc I didn't have one, I didn't need a new car. Didnt have the nicest car but it got me from A to B with zero problem.

Food was bought with $$$ about $150/worth but that income qualifies for food stamps.

What have I left out now?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No cable/Internet. The rent/utilities were lump'd together. I had a roommate also

$250 for gas? Where the heck are you driving?!?!? Gas is 3.50/gal and round trip is about 60mi/day and I don't pay close to that.

No car payment bc I didn't have one, I didn't need a new car. Didnt have the nicest car but it got me from A to B with zero problem.

Food was bought with $$$ about $150/worth but that income qualifies for food stamps.

What have I left out now?
Sounds like you lucked out or Cost of living is a lot lower in your area. Maybe closer to $200 for gas, I'd say at least $50 a week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those were my exact costs, no low-balling sir.
There's also no costs for food or phone bill. I've never had rent/utilities that cheap in my life even with roommates. I know that in my area, rent prices have gone up ~20-25% compared to just 5 years ago and food has also gone up in that time. Using numbers from years ago doesn't paint an accurate depiction of the current market.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually, lets take out medical too bc he doesn't (still on one of my patents plans). Now were at about $850/month for rent/utilities.

Am I still crazy guys?
This number seems more realistic to now, but you still have to account for food, transportation, phone, etc. Those alone are at least another $400 per month and more than a full-time, $8/hour job would pay.

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
If you can afford it, let him borrow it. Does he ask often? Do you believe he'll pay it back? I borrow money from my brother if I'm seriously hurting, but I tell him how ill get the extra to pay him back. In the end he's family and you should try to help.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's also no costs for food or phone bill. I've never had rent/utilities that cheap in my life even with roommates. I know that in my area, rent prices have gone up ~20-25% compared to just 5 years ago and food has also gone up in that time. Using numbers from years ago doesn't paint an accurate depiction of the current market.
I know what you mean, this was last year though brotha. That income qualifies for food stamps. They're giving them out like suckers at the doctors office these days, I hear.

Are you in the northeast?

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
Also what is the money for? He probably over spent his income. Tell him you'll let him borrow it if he creates a budget plan so it won't happen again.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know what you mean, this was last year though brotha. That income qualifies for food stamps. They're giving them out like suckers at the doctors office these days, I hear.

Are you in the northeast?
Texas.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
It's happened a few times. He owes me well over $3,000.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]This changes the game. He's not living within his means. It's not your responsibility to bail him out repeatedly. [/FONT]

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This number seems more realistic to now, but you still have to account for food, transportation, phone, etc. Those alone are at least another $400 per month and more than a full-time, $8/hour job would pay.
Transportation was the $150/gas. We have a family plan for the phone my mom pays for ($15/month)

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
It's happened a few times. He owes me well over $3,000.
Well if it were me I'd tell him no more! Sometimes you need a wake up call. It does suck living off 9 hr, you have to sacrifice alot, but it can be done. He's obviously living out of his income level.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really, in Texas?!?!? I always hear that Texas is "cheap" compared to CA or even the mid-west.

You Rodja, jut blew my mind :lol:
Certain parts of Texas are cheap, but not my particular area.

Cost of living for me and my wife is closer to $2000 with only one car payment and no insurance for me. Rent is $695, utilities are $120-180, phone is $150, cable/internet $100, car $300, insurance is ~$90, gas ~$200, and ~$300-350 for food.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback though guys, I really appreciate it. Even if I seem "snippy" I'm not trying to be or at least it's not directed at you guys. I love all my AM brothers!

It appears I need to try and sit down and have a talk with what his exact income:eek:ut going $$$ is to try and get to the root of this.

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback though guys, I really appreciate it. Even if I seem "snippy" I'm not trying to be or at least it's not directed at you guys. I love all my AM brothers!

It appears I need to try and sit down and have a talk with what his exact income:eek:ut going $$$ is to try and get to the root of this.
Sounds like a good plan, as long as he admits to all his spending. Maybe have him print of a bank statement

av6258

av6258

Awards
Try living in the north east. My grandma lives on a 75x25 lot and pays over 11 grand in property tax. It's such a joke.