Trouble accessing site from home PC

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am having trouble accessing anabolicminds.com from my home computer and was wondering if any of you guys have a suggestion as to what the problem may be.

It has happened for quite sometime trying to access fortifiediron.com, but never on any other message board or site. The site just won't load and eventually times out.

I've tried to fiddle with cookie settings but am not sure what to do specifically since it seems to be specific to this message board (and FI).

Any help much appreciated.

-Cardinal

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I had a similar thing happen with paypal & ebay. If yours is the same problem, try this:

Do a search on you harddrive(s) for files named "hosts". You may get a few of these, ignore any with a .sam extension. Open the hosts file with notepad and look for any lines with anabolicminds on it and delete those lines and save the file.

I think I actually changed the file name to hosts.old and that worked for me. Try the steps above first, if that doesn't work try the renaming trick. If you need more info, feel free to pm me.

dd

SUPERMAN0383

Awards
I had a similar thing happen with paypal & ebay. If yours is the same problem, try this:

Do a search on you harddrive(s) for files named "hosts". You may get a few of these, ignore any with a .sam extension. Open the hosts file with notepad and look for any lines with anabolicminds on it and delete those lines and save the file.

I think I actually changed the file name to hosts.old and that worked for me. Try the steps above first, if that doesn't work try the renaming trick. If you need more info, feel free to pm me.

dd
You can just clear your host file you really don't need. Try clearing your cookies that should take care of it.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are using anonymous proxy, you might have problems.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am not using an anonymous proxy like one from anonymizer etc right now. I'll attempt to change the host file or clear it all together and see if that fixes the problem! Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried clearing my cookies and deleting files under internet options previously and unfortunately that didn't resolve the problem.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Lately I cannot for the life of me stay logged on to any message board! I have to log in again once every five minutes or so. It is quite annoying. The two problems are likely linked now that I think about it. Any further suggestions about how to fix the problem of staying logged in from those that have dealt with it?

Once again, thanks a bunch.

-Cardinal

tattoopierced1

could be a stuck DNS entry...if your running 2K or XP open up a command prompt and do a "ipconfig /flushdns"

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am running Windows 98 but I will look into DNS entry and see what steps need to be taken in win98 as well.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I tried clearing my host files. Didn't do any harm but I still can't access either site. I haven't been able to figure out what to enter in win98 to see if there is a DNS type error that might be causing the problem. Anyone know how to check for such a problem or have a further idea why this site specifically might not load?

-Cardinal

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not really. We set a new record yesterday with people online.

I would try alternate DNS servers. I had a problem with comcast at one point (for about 2 days) in which I could not get on here using theri DNS server. I put in another DNS (other than Comcast of course) and it worked just fine.

I tried Comcast a couple days later and it wokrked fine and has ever since. But there is nothing on this end that would be causing the problem because we keep setting records for amount of people online (broke it 5 times in the last month)

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alright, I'll try putting in another DNS and see if that works. I didn't think it was anything with AM really as I can access the site just fine from a campus connection.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was able to log onto the site!

You know how sometimes you run a google search and it brings up message board forum archives and then gives you the option to view full version. Well, for some reason that just allowed me to log on and post this.

Still no clue as to why it works now or didn't before.

I put a bookmark on the google search result that got me here now, and it works still. So I'll just google my way on each time, lol.

Next mission. See if I can get myself logged onto fortifiediron and power and bulk forum once again.

Last edited:

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Congrats Cardinal! I'm glad you found a work-around.

dd

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks again for all your help diamond dave. I now have updated versions of some pretty good anti-spyware type programs on my computer =D

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anyone know the specific steps to go through to check for a stuck DNS entry for win98.

About as quick as I figured out how to get back on the site, the link I bookmarked quit working. Does anyone happen to know what to type into google to get it to bring up an archived version of Anabolicminds (the one that allows you to view full version at the top and just lists thread titles?). I know I could get back on the site that way just can't seem to google my way on.

Maybe there is a simple way to get on using a proxy?

If anyone has any ideas or instruction, could you shoot me a quick email at
[email protected]. Thanks a ton.