Marijuana for alcoholics?

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
I need legit opinions and advice. Can marijuana be used as a substitute for alcohol in an alcoholic?

A bit of back story for those who care to not just spout off. My dad fell into alcoholisim about 3 years ago and has gotten progressively worse through the years. He lives alone and has been in and out of AA/treatment/and the ICU. He has gotten to the point where he no longer ambulates on his own will and because of this urinates and defecates on himself. This has led to my recent discovery of a third degree bed sore which may or may not develop into a blood infection and lead to hospitalization. That being said there's a lot to the story which I can address, but all options have been tried and while he does have the desire to quit his addiction is too much. My guess is loneliness, retirement, age, and regret for how his life turned out despite it actually being pretty good, is the cause for the drinking. It's at the point we will either have to have a family member live with him, my aunt, or have him placed in a care facility. When he can sober up he has returned function to care for himself, but it lasts at best 3 days. I think substituting a drug for a drug is not ideal, but I think it would allow him a better quality of life and that "escape" he needs. It's not addressing the problem, but it's a lesser of two evils and as far as I can see it a good and only option. I live in a now "legal" state so it shouldn't be an issue legally. Input is greatly appreciated.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
My view on this is that no offense your dad is an alcoholic and that is his substance of choice and what he struggles with so to offer him weed may ease the craving of an alcoholic beverage it will not replace that desire. The same thing applies to an opiate addict you can give them marijuana to help cope with the struggles of withdraws but it is certainly not a replacement. Honestly professional help is what he needs not another way to self medicate because what is going to happen is he's going to start smoking weed and then continue to drink. And again I mean no offense that's just my view.
none taken, I had thought that angle and I think using both is a possible outcome. I don't think though the reason he chooses to medicate with alcohol is because it's his preference, it's just easy to get. If he had easy access to another depressant he would likely use that. That's just my thoughts based on my observations. He uses it as a way to deal with or push aside deeper issues he's not willing or capable of dealing with. I do sincerely appreciate you input on it though, it's good to talk things out with others that don't have an emotional involvement.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Solid advice. He has admitted it and has gone in to multiple treatment facilities. He has made it 65 days with AA outside of treatment, but always falls back to it when he get lonely or starts worrying about his next step in life.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Used to lift and golf and now has hit the point he can barely move on his own and forgets to eat. Think of like a 6-7 year old mentally and about a 1 1/2 year old physically. Like I said when he's more sober he gets much of his movement and mental functioning back.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
I suggested this, but my family won't allow it unless as a last option. My aunt/father's sister thinks she can live with him and help him through detox and then prevent him from drinking which given his physical state would be an option. I just think that if/when he gets back to the point of mobility he will fall back into drinking, unless we can get him in therapy to work through the issues causing him to drink.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's a hell of a problem. I smoke weed everyday and if I didn't have weed I would prolly be depressed and become an alcoholic. I think it's worth trying because weed is WAY better for you than alcohol. I have never seen any side effects from smoking except for less money in my pocket. I really do think it would work. I'm a health freak and I don't really like to drink just smoke and it doesn't affect me at all except make me feel just better. But weed does effect different people in different ways.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Yeah, I used to about 8 years ago, only issue I had was slower reaction speed, lack of motivation, and some issues with recalling short term stuff.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I am a recovering alcoholic 5 yrs sober. Would not recommend substituting marijuana for alcohol. Using both may become a very real possibility

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
I am a recovering alcoholic 5 yrs sober. Would not recommend substituting marijuana for alcohol. Using both may become a very real possibility
First off congrats. Second, It a risk I/we are willing to take as it is a a life or death situation. Just got a text at work he just had 2 seziures in about a 2 hr. period. Again not the first time this has happend, but I can't see him making it another 4-5months.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
First off congrats. Second, It a risk I/we are willing to take as it is a a life or death situation. Just got a text at work he just had 2 seziures in about a 2 hr. period. Again not the first time this has happend, but I can't see him making it another 4-5months.
Its tough to watch bro and Im sorry your dealing with this. have you taken him to an addictionologist?? I know it sounds gay and not real but they really do exist. It sounds like it might be a route thats worth trying.

An addictionologist is a physcian that specializes in the psychology/psychiatry of addictions. If you go to one they have AMAZING resources that can potentially be far better than AA or other OP resources.

Hope this helps.

dhill928

Awards
I'm a recovering alcoholic/heroin addict been to a bunch of rehabs n 12 step programs, I'm in a 12 step program now, it took a few tries but it's been working. I'm sober now for the longest since I'm 12. Try havin another alcoholic talk to him

forcefan27

forcefan27

Awards
The answer is no. Pot is not a substitute for alcohol. Your father is a full blown alcoholic, there's no way around it. Giving him other substances is only enabling him and allowing him to continue certain behavior. He is the only one who can change his path. Regardless of who lives with him, what other substances he uses, etc, he will alway be back to alcohol. Unless...

He has to be the one to decide he wants to stop drinking. Not for you, not or your family, but for himself. It sounds harsh, but it's the only way it will ever stick. It sounds like he's at the point that he's literally drinking himself to death. I'm sorry brother, alcoholism is a son of a bitch.

If he's willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober, he can turn things around and save his own life. If not, there's nothing anyone can do.

I'm an alcoholic and have been battling this for years. Fortunately, I (and those around me) recognized what was going on while I was still young. But I still struggle. I relapsed last week and now have six days sober. I don't envy you. I'll pray for you.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I need legit opinions and advice. Can marijuana be used as a substitute for alcohol in an alcoholic?

A bit of back story for those who care to not just spout off. My dad fell into alcoholisim about 3 years ago and has gotten progressively worse through the years. He lives alone and has been in and out of AA/treatment/and the ICU. He has gotten to the point where he no longer ambulates on his own will and because of this urinates and defecates on himself. This has led to my recent discovery of a third degree bed sore which may or may not develop into a blood infection and lead to hospitalization. That being said there's a lot to the story which I can address, but all options have been tried and while he does have the desire to quit his addiction is too much. My guess is loneliness, retirement, age, and regret for how his life turned out despite it actually being pretty good, is the cause for the drinking. It's at the point we will either have to have a family member live with him, my aunt, or have him placed in a care facility. When he can sober up he has returned function to care for himself, but it lasts at best 3 days. I think substituting a drug for a drug is not ideal, but I think it would allow him a better quality of life and that "escape" he needs. It's not addressing the problem, but it's a lesser of two evils and as far as I can see it a good and only option. I live in a now "legal" state so it shouldn't be an issue legally. Input is greatly appreciated.
he needs to address the real issues simply trading one drug for the other is only prolonging the end result. he has to want to get help and get better.sounds like an invention is needed and quickly.